The 800lb Gorilla in the room: How do the Jets get Rex to DC?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Dec 18, 2012.

1. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Rex needs to be fired. His decision making this season has been embarrassing. I used to be a big supporter of him, not now. He needs to go.

2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Rex would never be a DC under another coach for the Jets. Its a nice pipr dream but his ego is not letting that happen.

3. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

There is no way you can move Rex from HC to DC, you just can't. I agree with the strategy to bring in an experienced OC to run the offense completely, a new GM, leave Rex at HC but he basically just runs the defense and is the mouthpiece for the team.

We can't lose Rex IMO, without this defense this was a two win team this year. Rex put together a top 10 defense after losing the best defensive player in the NFL and having no pash rush at all, and an offense that constantly puts the defense behind the 8 ball. A top 10 defense in the league with the leagues worst offense is real tough to do.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

How about the Jets go hire Sean Payton as Offensive Coordinator/Co-Head Coach and make Rex Defensive Coordinator/Co-Head Coach while they are hiring a new GM to build the franchise?

There's no way in hell that Rex would ever over-rule a decision that Payton made on offense during a game. He just doesn't have the credibility to do that on that side of the ball.

The crunch would be in camp when Rex suddenly realized he was only the authority on 20 or so cuts while Payton was the guy deciding on the other 33 spots.

5. Br4d

I completely agree on this which is why I started the thread. Rex is the defensive mind the Jets need but he is clueless on offense which the Jets also need.

6. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

My only concern is that I don't think Rex can build and shape a young qb...if the Jets want to succeed they will want to (eventually) draft a franchise qb. Does Rex have the capability within him to build around this Qb? Can he use his abilities as head coach to help improve this Qb over time? I'm not so sure.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Sean Payton wants to be a head coach, not a coordinator or co-coach. I would love that, but I don't think Payton is leaving New Orleans and Drew Brees for the bright lights in NY and Woody Johnson.

It's believed that Payton and the Saints GM have a very strong relationship.

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

by the way Rex isn't 800 lbs anymore:grin:

9. Br4d

I hadn't thought of that angle, but yeah. :)

10. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

That would be really nice, but it is so very, very, very doubtful that Payton will want to be away from his cuddle buddy in Brees. We'd have to offer him an insane amount of money.

11. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Agreed I don't think Rex has a pulse of the offense at all, his decisions around the offense are pretty awful. That said you can't move him to DC, but they can bring in an experienced OC to completely manage the offense, and a better GM to manage personnel. Let Rex run the defense, provide inspiration, in game decisions and still act in the HC capacity. Any other way and he's gone.

I don't think co-HC will work, in my experience you can't co-manage stuff, the buck has to stop with someone in charge. It would be too much of an assault on Rex's ego too.

12. Br4d

Gruden said it well last night: you put everything you have into developing your franchise QB because he's by far the most important asset on the team.

Rex gave Sanchez unconditional support over the 4 years but not a lot else. Sanchez wound up going as the team went and the team followed him in a vicious spiral.

13. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Rex is a good HC and a great defensive coordinator. I want him to stay HC. What he needs is a very experienced OC to take major control over the offense. Personnel wise and play calling. Sparano sucks flat out. Someone like Norv Turner coming in would be fantastic. Say you are basically assistant HC and the offense is yours.

14. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

How many QBs did Gruden ruin in Tampa? I don't disagree, I just don't think he can talk on that one.

15. Br4d

So here's the $20 million dollar question: the Jets are on the clock next year on the 13 pick with Mingo/Montgomery/Mosley still available. Rex is sitting in the draft room as head coach and Norv Turner as offensive coordinator.

The GM takes who?

The pass-rusher Rex needs to make his defense great (maybe) or the best available player on offense because outside of C and LT the Jets have holes or potential holes everywhere?

Ok, so now we get down to the 2nd round pick and the best available player is a RB or G but Rex really wants that pass rusher. The Jets on the other hand really need to spend a couple of years worth of high picks on the other side of the ball if Turner is not going to wind up failing to rebuild the offense.

I think a huge part of the problem in having Rex as the head coach is that he really wants to build a great defense above all else. Rex wants to win the Super Bowl as much as any Jets fan does but his vision for how that looks at the end is that he is carried off the field as an all-time great defense wins the day.

The Jets aren't likely to win a Super Bowl that way. They're best chance to win a Super Bowl is to go find a great AB and build a great offense around him. That's going to take a huge investment in a very limited resource, draft picks. I just wonder whether Rex can get his head around what needs to be done now for the Jets to move forward or whether he is going to be perpetually stuck in his own vision of how it has to go down.

16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The Jets get Rex as DC when they name Mike Pettine the D Coord...oh wait.

17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

this entire hypothetical is dependent on the idea that Rex is simply unable to learn or understand what is best for the team and identify its deficiencies. that isn't a very strong argument.

I think Rex is likely to be less stubborn during the off season when the media isn't telling him why the players he is starting shouldn't be, rather than during the season when he seems simply intent on proving everyone else wrong, results be damned.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You rebuild the offense. You brought Norv in, you don't spend ANOTHER first round pick on a defensive player. We have spent the last 2 years drafting a defensive player in the first. Rex doesn't need blue chip players he said to have a great defense. Well you don't need to spend a first round pick on another defensive player, let alone a lineman.

19. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

This is a fundamental issue which we won't know the answer to until the draft. In my opinion, we should be spending every draft pick on offense this year -- unfortunately, with Rex, I don't see that happening.

Don't get me wrong; I want Rex to be our Head Coach, but I think we need a dominant OC that can control our offense and a stronger GM who can be a "football guy" which will overrule Rex when he gets too defense-focused.

20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Agreed. There's no freaking way that would happen, and if it did, I see an "us vs them" locker room (if it doesn't already exist after this years offensive shit show)

GoPats has the right idea, and I think Norv would be a good choice if they can see eye to eye. If not him, someone strong willed with a PROVEN track record of sucess
    Rex needs to expand his vision of offense more or just say "we want a ball control offense"& get of the way.