Shooting at Connecticut Elementary School

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Dec 14, 2012.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

ummm ... isn't that how this thread was born?

Barring a zombie apocalypse, their will always be more sane, stable people than unstable people. Other than some bullshit gun control laws that we already have in place and don't work, what's to stop the unstable staffer from doing just that now? I'd prefer the sane people to be their ready to stop the situation.

Most people aren't going to take stresses so far as to kill someone. The people who are, are going to do it anyway and don't need a gun to do so. It's the insane folks we need to worry about and protect ourselves from. Gun safety and education classes can help too.

We obviously disagree.

2. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

If the purpose of the 2nd Amendment is to protect the citizenry from a tyrannical government and not self defense, then the law should permit gun ownership but require that the guns be locked and unloaded. You and others who need your guns to battle against these power hungry tyrannical kings looking to take over America will have plenty of time to unlock and load your guns to go to battle with these evil tyrannical kings. Nobody needs to carry a loaded gun or have one in the house readily available.

Gun supporters can't have it both ways. The guns can't be for self defense and for stopping this coming tyranny. The self defense argument is not in the 2nd amendment.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I really don't believe that. You're talking about a one time cost per citizen versus full time payroll. You can also charge a small fee to the citizens for the class.

4. Joe Willie White Shoes

If Lanza's mother did not have guns, then this mentally unstable person would not have been able to commit this horrific crime.

5. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

Take away guns and they'll use bombs... Take those away and they'll use knives. It's not the method this cretin used to commit this atrocity that's the problem.

6. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Just out of interest, have there been many instances of potential mass killings prevented by a "good guy with a gun" shooting a "bad guy with a gun"?

Serious question.

7. Joe Willie White Shoes

Yes. The good guys with guns are called police. The police arrived at the incident in the shopping mall in Portland a few days again within a minute or two and only 2 people died.

8. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Who would ever know, if there were an armed presence, the shooter wouldn't bother or would be either disarmed, shot, or just leave before doing anything worth a mention in the news. You could turn that around and ask how many guns in the hands of either authorities or ordinary citizens have prevented things like this from happening? (Cowards prefer soft targets and no return fire)

Thats not a gun control argument, BTW.

9. Joe Willie White Shoes

The similar incident in a school in China this week where the attacker used a knife resulted in no deaths to the children. Can't you see how an automatic weapon with magazine clips leads to in multiple deaths in minutes? We have to make it harder for these people than it is now.

10. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I remember when i went to grade school,there was a pretty good special education system in out school. Due to overcrowding,and underfunding,it along with other programs are no longer there. I'm sure that is the case in a lot of places. My kids go to school,and come home every day with stories about the kid with autism,or the kid with severe anger issues lumped in with their classes. Maybe that is the problem here. If a kid grows up unable to function in normal society,especially one a judgemental as school,without any assistance...

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

But she did. I don't agree with the high powered assault rifle being available to the general public but what do you propose? Should we not be allowed to have guns? How do you stop the mentally unstable person from stealing guns or obtaining them through illegal channels?

I don't think you can ever stop these people from getting their hands on weapons.

12. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

...really? What kind supposed security procedures do you have against a nutbag armed with an assault rifle? t-shirt with bulls-eyes to be given to slow fat students? The death of 28 people in sandy-hook took less than 4 minutes. How long will it take for the Police respond to a shooting at a school? 5-10 minutes after the fact? What are the odds that someone will call 911 within 4 minutes of the shooting?

lets not forget that nationwide, even since columbine, Police Department policies typically prevent police from going into the schools and engaging the suspect, even an active shooter. instead, they have to wait for swat teams to arrive. How long will it take for the SWAT team to arrive? 20-1hr after the fact?

13. typeOnegative13NY

actually,since columbine they are to enter right away. My brother is a cop,and thats new procedure. but i see your point

14. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

and thats what they did. they entered to find and eliminate the threat.

they are trained to not even worry about wounded or anyone else. their job is to stop the threat and they must do that first.

which makes sense since the threat will kill more people if left to do so.

15. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

and this is exactly why only discussing this tragedy from the perspective of broken gun laws is misguided. we have broken mental health issues in this country. every interview about this kid people have said there was something wrong with him, and all we do as a society is turn a blind eye and leave crazy people to walk our streets. the solution certainly isn't a return to One Flew Over the Coockoo's Nest times, but we need to wake up about how we keep people safe from crazy people.

the crazy people are the problem.

16. typeOnegative13NY

It has to start when they are young. Like i said earlier,our schools are losing heir ability to care for kids individually. Not every kid can be prepped for society in the same manor. And a torturous social issue left unattended,can turn a child with a disability into an adult monster. Rarely does this shit "just happen" to some otherwise normal person

17. typeOnegative13NY

i am pro gun owner ship. But i can also agree that the concealability and ease of using a gun may sway some into a crime,where if they had to build a bomb or be more constructive with their ability they might not bother. I don't think anyone is wrong on either side of that argument which is why it will never change.

I would still like to know(maybe i missed it). This kid living with the mother. She bought the guns. Why? Why would a school teacher buy those guns? For her son to make him happy? One handgun,understandable. A glock,a sig and a .223 assualt? sounds like a doomsday prepper who knew what the fuck they were doing

18. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

^They liked to go out hunting together as a family...She did that from when they were young...

19. typeOnegative13NY

those werent hunting weapons

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

yuuuuuuuuuuuup!