Darrelle Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wildaces, Dec 15, 2012.

1. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I know our team is better with Revis, and he is the best cornerback in the league.

Going into the 15th week of the season our defense has been successful without Revis. Our pass defense is 3rd in the NFL without Revis.

Looking forward, history has proven that Revis is going to be looking for a large contract next season, or he is free at the end of the 2013-14 season. We have also heard (here) that Landry is looking for real money, and we already have Cromartie due $10+ million next year.

Most likely we will see a contract extention for Cromartie to free up cap space with something like 3 year $24 Million: (signing bonus $10 Million)

• 2013 reduce from $10+ million to $7 million (guaranteed)
    • 2014 $7 Million (guaranteed)
    • 2015 $8 Million (guaranteed)
    • 2016 $10 Million (signing bonus & roster bonus) (signing bonus dead money)
    • 2017 $12 Million (signing bonus & roster bonus) (signing bonus dead money)

Most likely we will make a strong play for Landry, and I would expect a contract offer before the season is over. 3 year $18 Million (signing bonus $6 Million)
    • 2013 $5 Million (signing bonus and guaranteed)
    • 2014 $6 Million (signing bonus, $3.4 Million guaranteed and $1.6 in weekly roster bonuses)
    • 2015 $7 Million (signing bonus, $3.2 in weekly roster bonuses)

So that leaves the odd man out? Really the best nfl cornerback in the league, the odd man out? We really only have 2 options here in my opinion. Sign him to a large contract extension or trade him. Let's look at the contract option first. Nnamdi got 5 years $60 Million ($25 Mill guaranteed), right? With the new rookie salary cap, that number is high, but lets use it. {Edit} Forgot to mention this is just if we signed him to a new contract. He is already under contract for $10+ million in 2013, so we would most likely have to extend him 4-5 years.

• 2013 $10 Million (guaranteed) Age 28
    • 2014 $10 Million (guaranteed) Age 29
    • 2015 $14 Million ($5 Mill guaranteed) Age 30
    • 2016 $14 Million ($6 Mill roster bonus) Age 31
    • 2017 $12 Million Age 32

I have played with these number for Revis to try and make any justification to keep him on the team, and I just can't justify the numbers. (I know I am not the GM, but please make a valid argument to keep him)

That said, let's look at the second option, and trade scenario's.

1. 1.) Manti Teo falls to Oakland and they want Revis and our 1
    2. 2.) Manti Teo falls to Oakland and they want Revis and our 1 2013 and 1 2014
    3. 3.) We trade up inside #5 for Revis and our 1
    4. 4.) We trade up inside #3 for Revis and our 1 and 1
    5. 5.) add other options

I guess this long and drawn out thought process is to determine if we should keep Revis.

#1 wildaces, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  2. Sir

Sir New Member

So you want to trade up in the first round using darrelle revis, a top 5 defensive player in the league, our first round pick, let's say it's around 16 just for argument's sake, and a future 1.

I'm sorry maybe I missed it, but did scientists figure out a way to clone a person with RGIII's athleticism, Tom Brady's arm, and Peyton Manning's intangibles?

Because if not that is ludicrous.

3. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

Why would we trade Revis an our first round pick to move into the top 5????? Revis has waaaayyyy more value then that! He is arguably the best defensive player in the NFL

4. laxin

laxin Active Member

Theres no fucking way they get Revis and our 1... No way in hell. Te'O is a great player, but Revis is the best, despite his large contract.

5. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

Well put, that is insanity. Revis is worth a first round pick and more

6. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I really honestly do not understand how people put so much stock into a lottery pick over a proven player...

It blows my mind.

7. tubby

tubby Active Member

If the Jets traded Revis and a first round pick to move up in the draft I will stop watching football.

Not even Al Davis would do something so stupid.

8. Doogstein

Doogstein Member

Oakland would have to give up their 2013 and 2014 firsts for Revis. No way would we throw anything on top in that deal

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The more likely scenario is the Jets trade Revis to one of the first 5 or so teams to pick in the 2nd round plus a conditional 2015 1st based on him playing for the acquiring team in 2014 or them acquiring anything for him in a trade.

Protection both ways and we get a potential top 5 pick in the 2015 draft out of it plus a good prospect next year.

10. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I was assuming I would get destroyed for just saying Revis alone. I am not sure what his stock will be after a knee injury, but I am trying to see what our sample size of Jets faithful would want for him.

Any way, the last thing I entered would be add another scenario. Granted I stated "add another option", but I figured that would be enough. I will try and spell shit out next time for the slower people.

I also asked for a valid argument to pay Revis to a long term contract, but again, pick and choose what you want to respond to. I know some have a hard time thinking.

P.S. Our best defensive player takes out 1 player, and is a none factor for most offensive game plans. Take out your best player, and play with 10 offensive players.

11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Revis AND #1 for a #1? Did it ever occur to you that Revis alone could net multiple picks?

You high?

12. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

We'd have to be the Raiders to pull of some dumb sht like that!! LMAOWTFBBQ

13. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Revis has only ONE year left on his contract & he's coming off season-ending surgery. There's no way he's gonna bring in more than one 1st rounder. The idea that he'll bring in two first rounders is crazy. The only way Revis commands multiple picks is if none of them are first rounders.

If Jets feel that Revis is gonna walk after FA then they should ship him off for whatever is the best deal. He's gonna be UFA & he's not giving any discounts to the Jets. Trading Revis for picks is a sound strategy because this team has a salary cap & Cro is handling the #1 CB duties just fine.

#13 ajax, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  14. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I posed 2 valid options, and never once said I wanted to trade Revis, correct? I used Teo, as he appears to be the best player for the Jets in the draft. I then suggested trading into the top 5, and asked for other options. I also asked for a valid argument on why we should pay the large contract.

Just to clarify for the hard of reading and comprehension.

15. wildaces

wildaces Banned

A lot of things have crossed my mind, and no I am not high, thanks for asking.

16. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I am not sure I ever said I wanted to do anything, did I?

17. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I am not saying they would, but I presented a scenario. I am pretty sure neither of us know what his value is worth in today's market, and especially with a knee injury.

18. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Why wouldn't the conditional pick be in the 2014 draft? The 2nd in 2013, and 1st in 2014. Prove he can play, right? No one will trade for him without a new contract, imo.

Do you agree he is a top 5 pick this year in trade, as some have suggested?

19. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Based on what?

{edit} sorry, clarification, what trade in the past makes you believe that?

20. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Trade Holmes.