IND 9-5, CIN 8-6, PIT 7-7, Jets 6-7... Playoffs!?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BookEndTackles 72&79

If by some crazy way they manage to squeak their way in then NO ONE should care if they get blasted in the playoffs. There should be ZERO expectations of any type of playoff run.

2. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

thing is i can see them beating teams in the playoffs

they match up very well against teams like houston and with the ravens defense taking a huge stepback i can see the jets playing well vs them

itd be so ironic if the jets went on another run after all the shit

#722 JetRizing89, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

To be honest I had 0 expectations of playoffs after NE. Just to be in te hunt and showing up on afc playoff pictures graphics is crazy

4. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Denver hasn't really beaten anyone and in the 3 tough games against legit playoff teams they were smoked - Atlanta, NE, and Houston. Not sold on the magic of Manning who the Jets have played quite well against in the playoffs when he was 100% healthy.

Baltimore's defense is not what it once was and can be run on. Also their offense is a week in week out mystery - so much so they just fired their OC.

5. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Honestly, we can hang with any of the division winners.

Denver: They have two of the worst teams in the NFL in that division. Then they get to play the downtrodden Panthers and Saints. Don't forget about them sweeping the Chargers. Not exactly a murder schedule.

Houston: Got embarrassed twice on primetime against good teams, barely squeaked out a win against us, had to go into overtime to beat JACKSONVILLE and DETROIT. Nothing about them screams 'scary'.

Baltimore: Just lost to a Charlie Batch led Steelers and got into overtime thanks to Kirk Cousins somehow converting a two point conversion. They haven't exactly been tested.

New England: Easily the best team in the AFC. However, do you really learn anything beating teams by 40 or so points? Not to mention for some reason, we're the only team (besides Arizona) who actually gives them a game at their place. I don't know why, maybe we're some sort of kryptonite, but it's true. How else can you expect a 6-7 Jets team to take them to overtime and an 11-2 Houston team to get blown out by them?

6. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

Get your ticket into the dance, and anything can happen.

Even without Revis and a dominating pass rusher, we have an elite defense. 3rd against the pass, 8th overall, and i expect that to climb with our final 3 games. This is pretty darn good considering all the turnovers and 3 and outs that our offense gives up. Imagine if our offense was good and had 10 min drives consistently, giving our D rest and the opposing O less time to rack up yards.

When you have a solid D like we do, you are in every game. Best 2 teams in the AFC are the Texans and Patriots, and besides that Thanksgiving day debacle (which that 52 seconds, 21 pts was just bad luck, that stuff won't happen for another decade or two), we stood toe to toe with those teams. Hell, we should have won in NE if it weren't for Hill's drop. Also, a few years ago we lost 45-3 to the Pats, but who got the last laugh? It's tough to beat a team three times in the same year.

Bottom line, people need to stop hoping we tank. We aren't getting a top 10 pick, and the rest of the first rounders all are relatively the same when it comes to possible pro bowler. Where we land in the draft isn't going to make or break a Superbowl in the next decade. Lets hope we win out and sneak into the playoffs, then anything can happen.

7. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I truly belive the Jets could beat any of the 6 teams in the AFC playoffs on any given day, They showed us that when we Beat the Colts and The Patriots and not to mention the run when we took out The Bengals and Chargers no one gave us a shot to win any of those games

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's truly amazing what back-to-back wins against two of the worst teams in recent memory will do to people.

I'd say the Jets are twice or three times more likely to lose monday vs. Tennessee, then they are of beating ANY of the division winners on the road in the playoffs.

It'll be a small miracle if they win out and get the help needed to make the playoffs as it is!

9. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

We'll beat Tennessee. I'm positive of it.

It's not just the wins, it's the fact that the teams above us lost.

I mean the Steelers lost to Oakland (Wtf) Chargers (another wtf) Tennessee (wtf) Cleveland (rising, but still a wtf). That's 4 bad to so-so teams they lost to.

Jets only lost to one team they should not have lost to (Miami) and were in the position to beat two teams we should have lost to (Patriots, Houston).

The pessimism when we are one game out of the wildcard is beyond old.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

But that's why we play the game in the first place. Never did I think we would beat the Chargers a few years back.

11. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I hear you. Assuming we finish 9-7 (which we may not) it would be interesting to know how people would have reacted if our schedule had just been in a different order. I think people saw that we were 3-6 at one point and just freak out and lose all reasonable thought and close their mind to anything other than "we're a three win team" even if we do end up winning 6 out of our last 7 games which is pretty impressive.

What if at that same point in the season we were 5-4? Would we still be seeing the same melodramatic reactions that we are seeing around here? I'm not so sure. IMO the final win-loss record is all that matters, not the way you ended up there. That being said I'm not saying a 9-7 and missing the playoffs on a tie-breaker is acceptable only that people seem to be acting like we're still only a three win team when we're clearly not that bad.

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Good point regarding the schedule in terms of perception.

However, this is how it plays out in the media.

1) start 6-3 with soft schedule. End up 9-7 with difficult tail to schedule.
    Rex lost the team, the team quit, monumental collapse. Backed into playoffs. Rex needs to go.

2) start 3-6, end up 9-7 with soft end to schedule.
    Team got lucky with schedule, this is a 3 win team, major rebuild. Lucked into playoffs. Rex needs to go.

See....with the NYJ it is ALWAYS spun as a negative.
    as long as we reach playoffs, i don't care how we get there, or how media would spin it.

13. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

if the Bengals lose tonight the top is gonna blow off this place.

14. JetRizing89

Jets Wild Card Breakdown
    Posted 2 hours ago

Eric Allen
    Sr. Reporter/Director, Internet Programming
    Email @nyjets #EA On the Inside
    The Jets are not talking playoffs, but that does not mean we can’t break down some scenarios here entering Week 15. At 6-7, the Green & White still have an opportunity to grab one of the two wild card spots in the AFC.
    Randy Lange, our editor-in-chief, and I have reviewed some scenarios this week. So what has to happen for New York’s AFC representative to claim a playoff berth for the third time in four years?
    If Indy & B-More Fall Apart…
    The 9-4 Colts, who are still alive in the AFC South race with two games remaining against division leading Houston, appear to be in good position for at least a wild card entry. They will be a prohibitive favorite over the 2-11 Chiefs in Week 16 and things will only get dicey for them if they lose all of their remaining contests.
    In the AFC North, the Ravens are setting the pace at 9-4. They can clinch a playoff spot this week with a win over the Denver, but B-More has a treacherous remaining slate. The Giants will visit the Edgar Allen Poes in Week 16 and then the Ravens fly to Cincinnati in Week 17. Even if they do collapse and lose out, the Jets would lose a head-to-head tiebreaker to the Ravens based on conference record.
    It would help the Jets if the Ravens win the division because the Green & White can’t win head-to-head tiebreakers with Baltimore and Pittsburgh (more on this below). A Colts collapse —which again would include a huge upset by Kansas City — would be beneficial because the Jets hold the tiebreaker over the Colts based on their 35-9 trouncing of Indy in Week 6.
    And while it’s still mathematically possible for the Jets to get in at 8-8, that would be a rocky road. Let’s take a look at the scenarios involving the Jets, the Steelers and the Bengals if Rex Ryan’s club wins out. Lots of things can happen, but the Steelers/Cowboys contest could eventually play a huge role in all of this if the Jets get hot.
    * To break a tie for the wild-card team with three or more clubs, you have to apply the division tie-breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2.

Jets Heat Up, Bengals & Steelers Cool Off
    Scenario 1
    The Jets finish 9-7 while the Steelers and the Bengals both close with 8-8 marks.
    NYJ Win Out: @TEN (4-9), vs. SD (5-8), @ BUF (5-8)
    PITT Loses 2 of 3: @ DAL (7-6), vs. CIN (7-6), vs. CLV ( 5-8)
    &
    CIN Loses 2 of 3, 8-8: @ PHI (4-9), @ PIT (7-6), vs. BAL (9-4)
    Jets will be playoff bound based on better record as they would finish 9-7 while the two AFC North clubs would finish .500.
    Tiebreakers that Tilt to Pittsburgh
    Scenario 2
    There is a three-way tie at 9-7 and the Steelers advance.
    NYJ Win Out
    PITT: W @ DAL, L vs. CIN, W vs. CLV
    CIN: W @ PHI, W @ PIT, L vs. BAL
    All teams would finish 9-7 and the first tiebreaker would be amongst the division teams. The Steelers would knock out the Bengals based on a better division record (3-3, 2-4). Then the Steelers would eliminate the Jets based on their head-to-head victory in Week 2.
    Scenario 3
    Another three-way tie at 9-7 that has the Steelers headed to the postseason.
    NYJ Win Out
    PITT: L @ DAL, W vs. CIN, W vs. CLV
    CIN: W @ PHI, L at PIT, W vs. BAL
    Once again, the Steelers would knock the Bengals out first virtue of a season sweep. Then the Steelers would eliminate the Jets out based on their head-to-head victory in Week 2.
    Scenario 4
    If the Bengals completely falter, the Jets can’t beat the Steelers in a head-to-head tie at 9-7.
    NYJ & the ‘Nati
    Scenario 4
    A three-way tie at 9-7 that would go down to strength of victory between the Jets and the Bengals. Cincinnati has the advantage there at present time.
    NYJ Win Out
    PITT: W @ DAL, L vs. CIN, W vs. CLV
    CIN: L @ PHI, W @ PIT, W vs. BAL
    This one is interesting. Both the Steelers and the Bengals would have split their season series, have identical 3-3 marks in the division and there would be no separation in common games (8-6). Then you would move to conference record and the Bengals would have the advantage there (7-5, 6-6), so the Bengals would force a tiebreak with the Jets. Both teams would be tied in common games (3-2) and conference marks would be identical at 7-5, so you’d have to move on to strength of victory. This changes weekly, but the Bengals have a decent lead at the moment with three weeks to play.
    Scenario 5
    The Jets and the Bengals tie at 9-7 and New York’s AFC representative would be playoff bound because of a better mark inside the AFC (7-5, 6-6).
    NYJ Win Out
    PITT: L vs. CIN and 1 other Loss
    CIN: W vs. PHI, W @ PIT, L vs. BAL

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

When i think back to Eli's 4th year a while back, the Giants sucked all year, and everyone wanted Eli benched/cut and wanted Coughlin fired. Then the Gmen lucked into the 6th seed, won on the road, and voila, Eli is a some sort of God. What the Gmen did just 4 yrs ago is exactly what the Jets are trying to do now, so it CAN BE DONE.

16. 3xNFLChampion

3xNFLChampion Banned

+1 / filler

17. JetRizing89

the giants had playmakers which we dont have

i love braylon but if he starts to produce teams will just double him and dare idiots like schillens to beat them

18. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Not worried about the Bengals. Lots worried about the Steelers.

19. NYCKNP

NYCKNP Member

It would be a miracle if the Jets made the playoffs. I'll be okay if they finish the season around .500 or a little bit above. However that doesn't mean that I'm not optimistic.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If Braylon produces, and we can get healthy - Braylon, Kerley, Keller, S.Hill, Gates (2 weeks more than likely everyone would be healthy). At least it's better than what we had before Braylon. Lets hope we can beat the Titans this Monday

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.