Braylon Edwards is a Jet, Again

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Haha. THERE HAS TO BE A PRESS CONFERENCE!!! AHHHHH!!!!! :metal:

2. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

I still think you see Tanny go no matter what and bring in an evaluator of talent. Lots of wasted picks over the last 4 years and the offense has been completely ignored. the have wrongly evaluated the talent they had on the roster and failed to address those needs. Tanny has final say on personnel he has to be held accountable.

3. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Yeah, I didn't really agree with the way the oline was completely ignored. We were lucky to find Howard at the last second at RT when it was clearly a huge weakness in 2011. The unit is still average at best, although they have gotten better since last year. Mo Wilks has been beastly for where we drafted him, though, and Coples is looking like he'll be a difference maker as well. It's not like Tanny's whiffed that badly on talent, he's using Rex's blueprint of defense first, but it's clear our offense needs attention this year. I'm sure he knows it. He's got one more year on his contract, he'll probably get one last chance.

Tanny's biggest errors in recent years:
    -The Mark Sanchez contract extension
    -Letting Braylon go after 2010
    -Gholston
    -Giving Wayne Hunter the starting RT job, and staying pat until halfway through the preseason when they suddenly realize he's a problem. Like what tape could he have possibly watched after 2011 to give him another chance?
    -Bringing in Tebow (still think that was Sparano / Rex, however)
    -Overpaying Pace
    -Not drafting a single OLB at all in the past 3 years when its our biggest weakness on D
    -Not adequately replacing Faneca
    -Guaranteeing too much money to declining vets

Tanny's accomplishments in recent years.
    -Trading for Holmes
    -Trading for Cromartie (and resigning him)
    -Trading for Edwards
    -Keeping Darelle Revis
    -Bringing in Faneca
    -Wilkerson
    -Mangold & Ferguson
    -signing LT
    -Signing Landry & Bell
    -Dustin Keller (Sanchez #1 receiver for 2 years straight maybe 3)

Besides Wilkerson it's too early to tell for the other 2011 / 2012 draft picks, although it's looking like Powell and Ellis were both good pick ups.

#683 Barcs, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  4. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Not an accomplishment.

5. Chrebet Fo' Ever

The trade was an accomplishment imo, a 5th round pick for a super bowl MVP WR was a pretty good risk at the time.

The contract he signed him for? Not much of an accomplishment

6. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

completely true, he could just get the ball out there and hope that braylon would bring it in with his size and long ass arms.

7. kerley11

kerley11 Member

Apparently Pete Carroll said today that the Seahawks released Braylon because they didn't think he would be able to make it back from his hamstring injury this season. Given that, I wouldn't be surprised if Braylon didn't play in a game until maybe Buffalo. I'm looking forward to Rex's presser tomorrow because I was really looking forward to seeing Braylon in uniform on Monday, and hope he gives some good news.

8. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Eh, I think he'll be fine. Braylon will be back in a uniform, and we'll be rolling.

9. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Holmes didn't win us like 6-7 games in 2010 or anything.

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Braylon said on his twitter about a week ago that he's as healthy as ever so I think this was a little spin job by Carroll.

11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

That's impossible. Mark Sanchez was throwing to him. He sucks remember?

12. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Now why would he do that to a team he's already beaten?

13. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Get back at the Jets for ruining Sanchez?

14. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

While I like the return of Edwards, I liked him as a Jet, let us not forget that Edwards isn't really known for his hands.

In 2008 he led all NFL receivers in dropped passes. 2010 was the only season in which he had "sure" hands.

Case in point.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE2DCS1PnwU

But I'm not knocking bringing him back, he's a valid deep threat and deep threats often don't have the best hands. But lets not build an over expectation of him based on memories of the 2010 season when the rest of his career has been a case of not having sure hands.

15. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Tanny is def accountable but I still don't see him going/demoted after this year. I think he is going to be given a short leash for the upcoming season. His OLine follies last year (leaving WFH in as a starter) is more a stunning disaster than this year. At least he was going after people like Otah in summer but there were slim pickings at the OL positions this year.

I'm more worried about losing Rex. For all his shortcomings as HC, he's still a better HC than most of the cannon fodder/FTHC we have had since Parcells and even before. I like Rex - his style, his defense first mentality, his brash talking, his self and team confidence.

All in all, this team isn't so bad. Upgrade the OLine and get a play-making RB and this would easily be a 10 win team even as presently constituted.

While Moore needs to be replaced, he should have 1 or 2 good years left in him. Slaw has been a disappointment but he was a 6th rounder so shrug your shoulders.

Vlad & Howard are Meh or really good backups pending your point of view. So OLine rebuild is badly needed.

We need our own Adrian Peterson, Run DMC pre-injury, or Chris Johnson of old. Someone like that would bring up the safeties to protect against the run and open up throwing lanes.

While we def need a better QB and its obvious Sanchez isn't the answer any longer, he is still serviceable enough to win a championship while we groom a replacement. I'm not saying HE will win us a championship like Brady or Manning or Manning, but he's good enough to help the team get there if all else is right in the world.

As a QB that has to carry the team, yes - he sucks. There is no doubt in my mind any more. But if the pieces around him are good, he's good enough. While I am done supporting him, I'm still not convinced he is the sole reason this team is stinking it up. OL & RB play are making our sub par QB have to carry the team and that is leading to disaster after disaster.

16. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm a little baffled by the exuberance in bringing back a receiver that has about 20 receptions the past two years and has been cut during the season by two playoff bound teams that are not exactly deep at WR.

17. fozzi58

You're correct but if my recall is on (and while I don't like to brag, it usually is) There was an article in late 2009 or 2010 about his dropped balls in 2008. When he got traded to the Jets, the old WR coach (name escapes me) had him start holding or catching the ball a different way because he had multiple broken fingers. So he learned to use the stronger hand and change his catching. He ended up being ranked somthing like 7th in dropped balls in the league in 2010. An impressive feat coming from being a bottom dweller in 2008.

18. Braylon4ever

Braylon4ever Active Member

Maybe you're missing a brain perhaps? :wink:

Seriously, though, I have no clue what to expect Next monday night when Braylon plays(and he will play....otherwise, what was the point of re-acquiring him if he was still injured?). I can only hope that he helps keep the Jets COMPETITIVE on national TV and not embarass themselves.

19. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

True, and I did point out that 2010 was an exception for him, he ranked 9th in the fewest drops that year, but in 2011 he reverted back to more of the 2009 and before version of himself. And again that's not a knock, most of your deep threat receievers do have a lot of dropped balls. There are exceptions of course, but that's the nature of the beast. After all if all fast receivers had great hands there would be no possession receivers or Wayne Chebrets in the league, they'd all be big speed burners with great hands.

But the real point, and why I like bringing Edwards back at this point, is even if a break away deep threat were to drop 50% of his passes he still keeps defenses on their heels because no defensive co-ordinator wants to get burnt on the 50% he does catch. (and no I'm not saying Edwards does or will drop 50% of his catches, it's just an argumentive point on the value of deep threat receives, even ones with no hands at all)

20. fozzi58

Agreed.

filler