Braylon Edwards is a Jet, Again

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Barcs

Barcs Banned

If anything is getting rebuilt it's the offense, but it's not going to be a complete rebuild like the darksiders are cheering for. Beef up the line, sign a premier RB, draft LBs, TE, OL, mid to late QB, FS. It's the final season of Sanchez if it doesn't click. The defense is fine, just need a young LB or 2. We do not need a complete rebuild. We just need to add talent in key places.

#661 Barcs, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  2. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

how do we know if they are better or not if they dont play?

our chances of making the playoffs arent changed much by braylon. sanchez is terrible. as long as his is qb we have no shot.

3. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

where exactly are we getting this premier RB and beefed up oline?

we have like 35 players under contract for next year with little cap room and a mid round draft pick.

we need to use next year to start a rebuild and see what the young guys have and look towards 2013/2014

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

To your point as well as 1985's,

I agree in terms of the current roster's receivers, and as I said particularly with Hill out, there's little downside to bringing in Edwards. My point instead is that bringing in players like Edwards should not be the main focus of the team. I understand in that connection that there is a mathematical possibility remaining of getting in the playoffs. I personally don't think much of that, but even if I did, the best course forward for this franchise is to see who stays and who goes, since there are so many roster issues.

That and that despite my appreciation for Edwards when he was here (ftr I was for keeping him even if it meant getting rid of Holmes), I just can't get too excited about this move.

5. Big Blocker

Geez, Barcs, no team ever needs a COMPLETE rebuild.

I count the Jets need two Qb's, a top RB, a starting TE, another wideout, and either one or two, depending on whether Slauson stays, OL's just for next year on O. On D there may well be three new starters in the linebackers alone, and so far I don't see any of the second stringers ready to step in there, perhaps McIntyre (notice how little they are playing Davis? That's a concern). I also doubt both Bell and Landry are back next year, although perhaps Smith goes and Bell goes second string, but either way they need (as you mention) an FS. That's a minimum of NINE starters. Possibly ten.

I call that rebuilding. But yeah, not a COMPLETE rebuilding.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Oh I agree 100% with the sentence I put in bold. I think it should of been a move made in the off-season to bring Stephen Hill along slowly. Nothing more than just a move made to help the team.

I feel "ok" about our chances because of the Steelers and only because of the Steelers. They are reeling and I can't see them winning the rest of their games given the situation they are in right now. They have a tough final schedule and we have the easiest. Colts don't have it easy. We do. If we take care of business, I can see us playing on Wildcard weekend. Taking care of business and the NY Jets don't really work hand in hand right now though as I'm sure that's your reason as to why we won't make it.

#666 101GangGreen101, Dec 12, 2012
  7. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

Edwards should have never been let go, I loved his attitude on the field, and his play was great with us. I hope we keep him long term and not just for the rest of the year. This is the best thing that has happened to the team since our high point of the season, our week 1 win over buffalo.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Coaches watch these guys every day in practice. If any of our scrub WR's are close to Braylon they'll probably get snaps. They probably aren't close though, even 2 years removed he's likely better than fringe roster WR's.

And since Braylon is likely a much better WR than the scrubs that would be playing instead of him, yes that DOES increase our chances of winning. That's how football works. If you have more guys who can win individual battles the team benefits and is more likely to win.

Saying we have no shot at the playoffs as long as Sanchez is QB is mind numbingly stupid considering we've made the playoffs 2 out of his 3 seasons and still have a shot to make it 3 out of 4.

9. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Honestly, in 3 seasons with Rex and Sanchez, we were playing meaningful football in the last week of December.

I don't see that changing this year.

10. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

its a point of contention i have with a number of posters here. i didnt ask for it to happen, i didnt predict it would happen i just simply said now that everyone who was crying that sancheese doesnt have any chemistry with his receivers for the last 4 years is Now saying how great it is that he has such chemistry with braylon...

IF that chemistry doesnt make them work great together, will that finally be enough to stop with all the chemistry excuses.

my feeling is that after hundreds and hundreds of reps in the off season and through a full season you should have found this elusive chemistry, not that it doesnt exist entirely.

11. MoWilkShakes

MoWilkShakes Active Member

not in 2010. we had WC locked up by then.

12. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

I have said this all along -- All you want as a fan of a team is to be playing meaningful football in december. I don't recall a 4 year stretch where they have always had a shot at something going into the last three games.

Not under Parcells, Mangini, Edwards.

Look at the Browns - they are 5-8 and their fans are looking at the possibility of how many teams can fall to 8-8 while they win out with a nasty schedule. Why because you are a fan because you want to see your team playing meaningful games and if you are lucky playoff games. In the last 14 years the jets have been in the playoffs 50% of the time, 7 playoff wins, 3 afc championship games -- how many fans of other teams would kill for that?

13. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

But, we were still going to the playoffs. It's meaningful in a sense...

14. Big Blocker

I agree that chemistry is not a useful concept here if by chemistry is meant familiarity. But at least conceptually there is in fact something to the term if is meant that certain receivers seem to have a better feel or match up better with certain Qb's.

As for Edwards, I think what made him seem a good matchup for Muck is that he was not only a very good receiver, what made him a good receiver were things that minimized Muck's own shortcomings. Edwards made tough catches and was a big target. Think of receivers who have blazing speed - Muck couldn't do much with that type of receiver. But the type of receiver Edwards is (uh, was - still is?) played in a way that he tended smooth out the rough spots in Muck's game.

15. MauiJet

MauiJet Member

welcome back

So glad you are back Braylon!
    never wanted to see you go!
    Now jet-i-son! to the playoffs!

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

heh ... Braylon ran a sub 4.4 40 at the combine. Maybe I'm not understanding, but are you seriously trying to say that since both sucked, their sucky attributes complimented each other into a positive? Like multiplying two negatives? Because if you are that's pretty fucking funny.

edit: No, I see you were saying Edwards was a very good receiver. I misread.

17. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I am LOL'ing in my office right now!! :rofl:

18. MoWilkShakes

MoWilkShakes Active Member

what? Braylon doesn't get a press conference today? or a phone conference? duh fuck?

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

It's not like he's a personal punt protector.

20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

All teams are always rebuilding, if you want to be technical. I would say there's at least 10 teams in the league that need more pieces replaced than we do. I know everyone has given up on Sanchez, but he's committed until the end of next year, so I don't see any major moves (GM / HC / QB) this off season. Maybe next year for that. This year, maybe OC, maybe QB coach, maybe oline coach, maybe some scouting replacements, but no major shake ups, not until the off season after 2013, if it happens at all. By full rebuild I was referring to people claiming we should clean house with GM, head coach, quarterback etc etc. I just think we need to reinforce the oline and get a good RB somehow. Our WR core will be better next year, with the Hill/Kerley experience plus Holmes coming back. Braylon's a ? still. We're not nearly in as bad shape as many folks would have you believe. 6-7 with multiple top level injuries is pretty good considering.

People keep talking about elite QBs, but look at the Saints. They have a worse record than we do with Drew friggin Brees. It's never just the QB as folks seem to promote. Their defense is paper thin, and that's the reason they have lost most games.

#680 Barcs, Dec 12, 2012