Braylon Edwards is a Jet, Again

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Fair points about the current roster, and when Edwards was here before, I was a real fan of his play.

But all those thrilled by his return are missing what I tihnk is jay14's central point, which I totally agree with. And that is the Jets need to be looking at their roster as any team should that is beginning a rebuilding period.

The future will not be built on vet retreads. Yes, some vets are going to be part of the mix going forward, and that might even include Edwards. But his career since he left makes me doubt that, I am afraid. He is getting injured too often. Plus he's another two years older than when he was last with the Jets.

Right now there's concededly not too much lost with his return. Hill is out anyway, and Schillens is not even much of the present, let alone the future. Still, jay14 is right. Moves like bringing Edwards back is not part of what the Jets should be primarily focused on, which is rebuilding.

2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This^^^^^, he is a terrible GM.

3. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i agree with that. there really is no downside unless tanny did something stupid with the extension which i honestly doubt he did.

its just funny

4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

@ Big Blocker I understand your point, however none of these receivers sans Hill and Kerley are worthy of "seeing what we have in them" they flat out suck. We have a good slot guy in Kerley, a young receiver in Hill, and a solid receiver in Holmes, if Edwards steps up then our receiving corp becomes solid, and both Holmes and Edwards are still fairly young.

5. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Except Tanny tried to trade for Braylon right after Holmes went down but Seattle never wanted to give him up.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I'm excited about Braylon coming back, I know he won't that guy he was in 2009, but it's worth bringing him in if we have a chance at the playoffs. We need a solid run blocker and Braylon can be useful for Mark Sanchez.

Wherever we like it or not, Mark is here this year and next year, so they should give him all the weapons and to try restore his confidence. Jets aren't going to rebuild until they know for sure that this QB and offense won't work out ever.

I think Braylon had an affectionate attitude and it affected Mark Sanchez positively which is why they had the chemistry they had. I'm not saying they will pick off where they left off, but I do think Braylon is a reliable target for Mark Sanchez. We need just that.

Jets should continue to build through the draft, I agree. No more big time FAs, and no more old ass veterans. We are doing so now, but they won't blow up this team not yet. The team is responding to Rex, and they are still trying to make a run. They shouldn't give up just yet.

This confirms that next year is do or die. We'll have Braylon, Holmes, Kerley and other players at WR. Surely we'll get a new RB this year. If next year things don't work out, things will get blown up and players like Braylon, Holmes, Sanchez will be off the roster and we'll rebuild at that time. Jets at that time will have a ton of cap-space and we'll go out and draft a new QB and so on and so forth.

7. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

How come drafting a new QB means you are rebuilding?????Even if we end up getting rid of Sanchez at some point that doesn't mean everyone else has to go to

8. 101GangGreen101

If we draft a new QB, I don't want him to go through what Sanchez had to go through. We need a new GM and a new offensive philosophy to go along with it. Heads will roll. Holmes will be gone, more than likely so will Keller. People become expendable when a new QB comes around. Look at what the Colts did with Luck.

9. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

This was a great post, especially the last paragraph.

Holmes will be back, hopefully Hill will be healthier/better conditioned and we have another legit receiver (Braylon or someone else, doesn't matter to me). They need a massive upgrade at RB and then they are a very different team, especially with some degree of play action.

If we can extend Revis with no holdout or anything then I wouldn't be against trading Cromartie, especially if he can bring us a legit RB.

If they go for it next year and still can't get it done then they can blow it up when it's easier to do so from a contract/cap perspective. Draft a QB with a high draft pick and build around them. Blowing up a potential 9-7 team missing it's best playmakers on both sides of the ball would be absolutely unthinkable in every other market.

10. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

not going to read all this shit, but I, for one, love Braylon. He WANTED to be a Jet and he played hard (on and off the field) (big whoop)

11. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i keep reading about how its good because braylon and mark have "chemistry"...

so if things dont work out and braylon doesnt "make a change in mark"

can we put the whole chemistry thing to rest?

12. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

edwards wont change much offesnively. just look at arizona, they have fitzgerald but terrible qbs thus no offense.

we dont have fitz and our qb is just as bad

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

If the JETS had an older/experienced QB heading towards the sunset I'd agree, but they have the reverse.... a young poorly performing QB with a bunch of veteran guys that need to be moved along. I'd rather them give time for the young QB to learn as a team grows around (or before him) than take another young guy and throw him into a shitshow.

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Yes, but I don't understand why people like yourself are trying to label it BS before it even happens. SOJF I guess, always need something to complain about.

If you don't think chemistry exists between QBs and their targets in football, you shouldn't talk football.

15. jerseyjay14

Bingo... we arent making the playoffs, and if by some miracle we did, we arent going anywhere.

we need to rebuild. it is inevitable. finding out who should and shouldnt be part of that process is key.maybe you think clyde gates sucks. maybe he does. id like to see if he has any role moving forward. #3, #4 wideout? kick or punt returner? slot guy?

play the kids, see who is worth keeping around.

16. jerseyjay14

how do you know they suck if they havent gotten much playing time? what is the downside?

how would we have known kerley was any good if he didnt get playing time?

17. jerseyjay14

we need to rebuild because we have a ton of issues in very impactful places as well as guys who are old/overpaid that will need to be replaced.

18. 101GangGreen101

And we will rebuild starting next off-season if things don't work out. Nobody in this draft is worth tanking for.

19. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Clyde Gates and Schellins have gotten playing time and they haven't been anything special. I would keep them around because they would be familair with Sanchez and the playbook. When Kerley got extended playing time he played well, when Schellins and Gates got playing time they sucked.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The Jets are trying to get into the playoffs right now. They aren't trying to find out if any of the 3 UDFA/late round WR's they have who will probably suck, don't suck. If they're better than Braylon, they will play over Braylon. That's how it works.