Enough's Enough: ESPN's Skipper Says Net Will Dial Back Its Coverage Of Tim Tebow

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Dec 10, 2012.

1. DbaJets

DbaJets New Member

First of all, ESPN is selling ratings so they wouldn't have prolonged Tebowmania if it didn't sell. Second, I have a strong suspicion the NFL very much encouraged the Tebow obsession, as he is a positive role model, attracted a specific market possibly new to the NFL (evangelicals), and distracted from the fact that the replacement refs were even more of a joke than the usual refs.

FWIW, I don't even watch espn, so I'm not defending them here.

2. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

Ahhh, Randall Cunningham. One of my favorites back in his heyday.

Also was a fan of McNabb.

3. phaytal

phaytal New Member

What a crock of shit. To be a quarterback in this league, you need to be proficient throwing the football, and converting 3rd downs. You need to sustain drives, and score points. Tim Tebow is horrible at every one of those things. No one's job is unquestioned or guaranteed, nor should it be. Alex Smith lost his job mid-season to an untested 2nd year player, and he was playing the best ball of his career. What's with this coddling mentality that you people have for Tim Tebow. He is a professional athlete. It is his job to earn each and every week. This isn't some cube farm when you can go unnoticed for months on end. You are in the spotlight every single day.

You need to quit thinking that everyone is out to get Tebow, and 'The Man' is somehow holding him back. I mean holy shit, his coaches have come out and publicly admitted they don't want him throwing the football. Professional coaches, that have watched him every single day, refuse to let him throw.

Until Tebow can throw the football effectively, he should never be compared to quarterbacks that can. Tebow scares exactly nobody when he's throwing the football.

4. Concerned_Citizen

That's just TSPN errrr... back to ESPN that says they are dialing down the converage. It's only one network when Tebow gets plenty of attention from all the others.

However, it likely isn't selling the way it once was. A year on the bench will do that. And probably won't sell for the others until he can get a starting job.

5. JetsDfc

JetsDfc New Member

deleted I forgot something

#25 JetsDfc, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

SO ESPN is telling us they will be cutting back coverage of Tim Tebow, why exactly did they need to tell us this? why just not do it? seems to me they are still doing exactly what they said they will not be doing using Tebow stories to get ratings.

ESPN and Tebow both suck.

7. Concerned_Citizen

Maybe they were testing the waters and see if Tebow still sells ratings.

Face it, there hasn't been much that was newsworthy from him for awhile now. Even with the press conferences he got post-game to talk about his 3 plays or his time on the bench.

8. JFjets

JFjets New Member

Any QB who is not throwing the ball effectively can be compared to any other QB who at some point in their career was not throwing the ball effectively, especially if it was at basically a parallel point in the career of both QB's. That is why it is perfectly normal to compare Tebow or Newton or Kaepernick or any other young QB, to other young QB's, both past and present. To say otherwise is pure lunacy.

9. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

I bet Skip Bayless won't listen to him, he praised Vince Young until he was out of the league.

10. Concerned_Citizen

True. But I'm still waiting for the part about his struggles that says Tebow should get more playing time. Yes, eventually the other struggling youngsters came around.

Tebow may, but I just can't help noting that his third coaching staff in 3 years, who se him every day, seem to have different ideas on Tebow's ability to be another one of those struggling youngsters that blossom into a great one. teams have to weigh the risks. Do we invest more game time in this guy, or is someone else worth the risk. Most will opt for the other guy because it won't take a massive overhaul on the offense built around him.

Always comes back to that. Obviously the guys seeing him every day know something the Tebow cultists don't while they scour the internet looking for examples of great QBs who struggled.

Far more young QBs struggled and DIDN'T make it. Which one is Tebow.

11. JFjets

JFjets New Member

This could have been said about any number of young QB's in the NFL (and some whose overall passing stats were much worse than Tebow's) who eventually became very good, some great, NFL QB's. It can also be said about some current young QB's who will no doubt get more playing time to "prove" themselves.

Key word right here. It took some quite a while.

You're right.

At this point, no one knows, he's only started 16 games. I have my feelings about how he'll end up, but nobody knows, including you, and when you haters speak with such certainty about something no one knows, you can just expect to get Tebow supporters riled up, which I suspect is a very large part of the reason you even visit this forum.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

(An Aside) Who the hell breaks up posts into sentence fragments to comment on each individual statement?? It's annoying and an eye sore to read. Just reply to the whole post like every other damn person.

Back the original topic though - ESPN is just smart and making sure they come out looking good. Tebow is becoming irrelevant as a backup on a bad team so they don't want to be seen as TOO desperate and grasping for attention. Had Tebow made an impact with the Jets, there's no way they would've dialed it down.

This is the new ESPN, it's becoming a soap opera. They milked the Tebow and Jeremy Lin cow until they both sunk back into their places.. But it doesn't mean they aren't looking for more cows (sorry for that analogy).

13. JFjets

JFjets New Member

I happen to think it's a little easier to see what exactly someone is responding to in a very long post. Sorry you disagree. I really shouldn't have to say this but, feel free not to read my posts if it bothers you so much.

There - feel better?

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Don't worry - I usually don't.

15. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

It's probably very good for his career that they not talk about him so much.

16. milo

milo Well-Known Member

I would take it a step further and argue that the Jets did it for the same reasons.

What better way to try and quell the "bad apples in the locker-room" crap that ended last year than to bring in the ultimate choir boy?

17. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

18. JetsDfc

JetsDfc New Member

Its actually really nice, I wish most people would do it. its much easier to read then one huge wall of quoted text, then an equally large response.

19. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Actually, Kaepernick will be the scapegoat if the 49ers doesn't get to the Super Bowl.

When Tebow shitted the bed against KC with everything on the line and lost 3 games in the row to end the season, I almost was done with him, and if he shitted the bed against Pittsburgh he should of been benched, period. It was a collapse the was like 2008 with Jay Cutler, expect they backed in the playoffs. He shouldn't have been comfortable after that KC loss, that game was 100% on him with everything on the line and he should of have at least won that game instead of having 2 turnovers and going 6/22.

20. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

About damn time

Who will be the next poster child for espn? First favre, then Tebow... Who is next?