Enough's Enough: ESPN's Skipper Says Net Will Dial Back Its Coverage Of Tim Tebow

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Dec 10, 2012.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2012/12/10/Media/Tebow-ESPN.aspx

2. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Maybe this would calm the Tebots rage and Tebow can get a NFL job next year. Skip Bayless won't listen though, he always determined to be right.

3. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Thank the lord...miracles do happen. It involved Tebow so it is all good.

4. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

Come again?

Tebot's rage? Wouldn't Tebots enjoy the extra Tebow coverage? I think you mean it might calm down the anti-Tebow crowd since most of them say it's not Tebow they hate, it's the media coverage he gets (which is an immature reason to dislike or root against the guy).

I have yet to hear a pro-Tebow person get upset that he gets so much coverage. Some may not think it is a good thing, but it doesn't "enrage" them as you suggest.

5. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

It seems like the Tebow fans here are not bad at all. Heck I'm a fan. It is just some of these Tebow fans are so enraged with him, saying he is a Hall of Famer. Heck in Denver, I remember so group thinking he was the next Messiah (don't want to get into a religious argument). I just feel that ESPN fuels this, and it is a diservice to Tebow.

That being said I still can't believe he did that ESPN special "Tim Tebow The Chosen One" in High School and the "Everything in Between" after College.

6. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

This guy was even alienated on a Jets fan forum.

lol

7. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

If someone came to me when I was 17 years old and asked me if I wanted to be the subject of my very own ESPN special, I would have said yes before they finished the question. I don't care what the title would have been as long as it didn't say something like, "Backup QB, "The World's Worst Basketball Player".

But I think you mean "enamored", not enraged. But seriously, how many people do you see saying he is a hall-of-famer right now? I have heard some pretty avid fans of Tebow before, but NEVER have I heard anyone say he is a hall-of-famer. I have heard people say he has the chance to be one, but that is not an unreasonable statement. It's purely hypothetical since he is so early in his career. Of course it is possible. Highly unlikely at this time, but entirely possible.

8. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

I do think ESPN thinks that Tebow Nation is a lot bigger than it actually is.

9. JustLurking

JustLurking New Member

What makes Tebow worth writing about by all of these media outlets, is the opposing views. He most certainly has a lot of fans. He also has a large segment of followers who hate him. "Tebow Nation" as you put it is not about people who support him. If Tebow only had fans like other players, he wouldn't be that big of a deal. The amount of haters is actually what makes him unique.

10. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Though you have to admit he does have a large following in Jacksonville.

11. JustLurking

JustLurking New Member

He has a large following everywhere period. Following includes both sides.

12. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

Have you ever been to Jacksonville? I lived there for a few years. It is definitely not Tebow Lovers HQ. There are a ton of FSU and UGA fans there. I think his support there is only marginally higher there than the rest of Florida. More anti-Tebow than pro-Tebow for sure.

13. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

So ESPN and Skip Bayless is to blame for Tebowmania?

14. danangmarine68

danangmarine68 New Member

All of this originated from hacks who are paid by the pound for their journalist output. Quality be damned as long as the quantity is up. Oh yeah, and if the ratings are up then damn the torpeados and full steam ahead. Over 50 years ago my dad told me to not believe 90% of what I read and 50% of what I see. His words are more appropriate today with what flows forth from the internet than when he told me them many years ago. There has been a double standard where Tim is concerned. QB's from this year's crop of rookies are getting kinder and gentler coverage by the media than the nit pickers who hounded and berated Tim last year. The hacks provided fuel for those who for whatever reasons took up the banner to berate Tim.

It also amazes me that these self proclaimed NFL forum experts who preach their misguided venom about how Tim is not a QB and never will be a QB did not recognize last year how tightly the coaches reigned in Tim until the possiblity of winning the game by their rules was lost. It was only then that Tim was unshackled. More often than not, he and the team won those games. To stave off those who will counter again that Tim was lousy for three quarters, I contest that the coaches were lousy for three quarters. If you need any further proof then look no farther than this years Jets and the decisions of their/your/our coaching staff.

So I will continue to take whatever journalist garbage that flows forth from ESPN and the other haters with a grain of salt.

SF

15. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

I agree with you the dude was only 17. Who the hell wouldn't had said yes.

16. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

Well well well...

Looks like we might have an expiration date coming on the flavor of the month that became flavor of the year.

I think that is why Tebow is STILL so damn polarizing. The media attention he gets is way too disproportionate for his on field achievements. You'd think he's heading into the HOF next year or something.

This is ecactly what he needs too. Maybe he will have time to work out some of the kinks in his game now that he isn't going to be under the microscope quite so much.

17. Concerned_Citizen

I think most of them would. A 17 year old kid won't often think about the consequences of a double edged sword though. Because if it doesn't work out, the fall is ten times worse. That chosen one stuff has become a major punchline for Tebow critics.

As for the hall of famer thing... when he first came into the league, there were a lot of Tebowners who said Tebow was going to revolutionize the game. As if all that ability to run around was something "new" in this league. League was already experimenting with it with Michael Vick, Vince Young, etc., and more of those types of running QBs seemed to be drafted lately. Miami and others running wildcats, etc.

All that stuff about charisma, leadership, intangibles, etc. I think people were looking for that next, RUDY story and pretty much blocked out anything that didn't fit that template.

Could still happen I suppose, as he is still in the league and will be on some level for at least a couple more years.

You are also correct with the mood toward Tebow in Jacksonville too if their message boards are any indication. I thought COWBOYFAN was full of shit when he said it. He has a lot of followers out there as evidenced by the signs and ticket sales Jacksonville had from those wanting a glimpse of the bench warmer. However, from what I saw on their message boards about a month or two back when I looked, there were only a couple that wanted any part of Tebow. Damn near all of them wanted him somewhere else. Anywhere but on their team.

#17 Concerned_Citizen, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  18. Concerned_Citizen

You can take it with a grain of salt and still be a believer that he is something special if you wish.

However, it doesn't change the fact that the league doesn't seem to see it your way either... and neither do the coaches who see him work every day. His career is circling, whether you want to admit it or not. About to get flushed too. Maybe this is the beginning of the end of that media circus following him around. That can only help him at this point as I think a lot of teams are a bit put off by it.

19. JetsDfc

JetsDfc New Member

Prob the best thing that could happen to the guy right now, barring getting traded to a team that would start him and having mike Shannahan as a OC.

20. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

Well, he delivered exactly what he was supposed to as a high-school athlete going to college... National Championship, Heisman, and some of the best all-time stats for any player. #2 NCAA passer-rating all-time, BTW. I would hardly call the "Chosen One" moniker a false one. NFL wise, it still remains to be seen what his career will bring, but he has not failed, he succeeded. Not his fault if his success isn't rewarded... anyone else who did what he did would be an unquestioned starter.

Agree with this to some extent. He should not get credit for revolutionizing anything. There were plenty of mobile QBs prior to Tebow. One of my favorites was Randall Cunningham. He was must-see football... very exciting to watch play. But if you look at some of these guys drafted after Tebow and starting (Russell Wilson, Kaepernick, RGIII), they were not put on a leash and have good game plans. They are not playing for their jobs every week. Tebow in some ways opened the door to the mobile QBs of late being seen as an asset rather than a liability.