replacing keller

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tank75, Dec 8, 2012.

1. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

i know he is one of the better skill position players on our team, but this season he cant stay on the field, which has affected his play tremendously. he has had the worst game of his career already this year, and is injured once again. I dont think we can really rely on keller to be our number one

maybe im crazy, but i think that keller going down has had as much to do with the teams struggles as anything. i dont think the team should get rid of him, but maybe its time to start looking at other options to boost the position

2. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

I think we should give him the franchise tag (non-exclusive). I think he would have a 4.5 million dollar contract. Honestly after the year he has had, he should be happy by this offer, and a second chance.

3. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I think Keller is easily the most overrated player on this team.
    I would not even call him a mediocre tight end.

4. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Clearly they played him too soon. He's the most underrated TE in the game when healthy. One of the best receiving TEs to play. But you play with an injury, you stand a good chance of making it worse and that's what happened.

5. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

he has had multiple injuries not just one lingering one

6. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

He's a little bitch, soft as they come.

7. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Im with you dude. Well, I guess he's mediocre. But some think hes a top flight TE. I can't even begin to fathom that

8. BrucekilledBoomer

BrucekilledBoomer Active Member

Of course a lot can change with restructures and such...but Folk is probably the only player the Jets can even entertain franchising given their cap trouble. The number was a little over $5.4M for tight ends this season.

9. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

he cant block..... and thats been his problem forever.

now he cant block and cant stay healthy.

i wouldnt really mind to see him go, and i think he will.

10. mute

mute Well-Known Member

cant block and still has a ball hit his helmet. Yup, Keller is overrated.

11. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

We have way bigger problems. We can easly bring as back up TE to compete for cheap and keep keller

12. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

do we? id say keller being out most of the year has contributed greatly to this teams troubles. this team ends up with a big tight end that can block and catch and stay on the field wed be in a much better position.

13. Fatman&Robin

Fatman&Robin Member

It depends what he wants. Does he want to be paid like a top TE? If so, ditch him. Keller may be a good receiver but he can't block for shit and the top TEs can both catch and block. I'm just wary of giving him a big multi-year deal. Someone said franchise him for next year? Depending on what that number is, it would seem like the best deal right now.

14. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

can the team really afford to keep keller or pay him starter money going forward? he has never been good blocking, and has always been prone to boneheaded plays. now he is injury prone, and when he is on the field, barely effective at all. Not to mention seattle this season... these are the types of decisions that are going to have to be made this offseason, and i wouldnt be surprised if the front office decides to bring in some bigger bodies.

i know they are long shots, but fred davis and jard cook are both going to be unrestricted free agents this offseason,

fred davis - the skins are probably going to do whatever it takes to retain him, but they used the franchise tag on him last season; they could very well do it again, but if not hed be worth going after. hes on ir this season for an achilles injury, but look at laron landry... very similar situation, could help him rehab his achilles and convince him to come to the jets. honestly i think fred davis with his size and blocking ability would be an upgrade over keller.

jared cook - another big tight end, has a lot of potential. doing pretty well on the titans this year despite their situation, so id expect the titans to want to keep a hold on him, but hes a monster athlete that could help out the jets o tremendously

just some stuff to consider, if these names do in fact make it to the open market, id expect the front office to fight tooth and nail to try and grab one of em

15. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

franchise for keller? thats gonna be one huge fucking number ill tell you what. fred davis got franchised this season and he makes roughly 5.4... guys like him, jared cook, dallas clark, tony gonzales if he chooses to play another year, martellus bennet looking like he might be a name to consider as well, it would totally not be worth it to franchise him, given our cap situation, and then see him sit out most of the year, or play like he has been playing when on the field this season...

16. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

So you are saying if we had a good TE this offense would be ok? We need a QB a decent line and upgrades at wr before we worry about keller

17. Fatman&Robin

Fatman&Robin Member

As I was saying, if the cap hit from the franchise tag is too high, and he is demanding too much, cut him loose.

18. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

no im saying that keller is not worth keeping on the roster

considering our number one wr went down for the season, and our wide receivers are still more productive than the tight ends on our roster, id say that getting a good tight end would do a whole lot for this offense. not to mention the liabilities our tight ends ahve been in the run game...

we arent sure we need a qb yet, and sanchez will be here no matter what next year. i get that its all cool and everything to hate on the qb right now in jet land, but any qb the team throws out there is gonna need a reliable tight end

19. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

This year has been a nightmare for Keller, but he's been a good player on this team and one of Sanchez's favorite targets. His price should go waaayyy down after a year like this and I'd probably be willing to sign him to a two year deal given this. If he's healthy and gets a fresh start next season I'll bet he comes back and is a big factor in the passing game.

20. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

if he can't get on the field and stay on the field he has very little value to the organization. Good hands but he is perpetually hurt and he also makes mistakes which are costly to the team. Sorry but I don't think this player is as good as many people apparently do.