Politi: Rex has morphed into just another coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MurrellMartin, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I of course agree that the contract extension makes things difficult, but I do not believe it literally obligates the Jets to play Sanchez next year no matter what.

As far as turning his game around, I don't see that happening, and I not talking about more likely than not. I am talking beyond a reasonable doubt.

He lost me completely on the Butt Fumble, and followed it with one of the worst performances I have ever seen in teh Cards game.

He officially sucks, and imo is beyond redemption. Time to move on.

2. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

the old SOS... same old sanchez

it signals distress either way...

3. alleycat9

his point is that you are flip flopping... as usual... last year it was team A is better than team B because they won 2 more games... yeah ill give that to you its facts, probably a little bragging too but thats irrelevant.

now you are downplaying the same 2 games when talking about seattle.

you cant have it both ways.

but remember those wins and losses are just stats and well as you have pointed out stats dont matter.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Funny thing is, Rex actually DID take a gamble by going BACK to Sanchez.

In the weeks leading up to Mark's benching, and even during the game itself, all the 'experts' were saying that you ride your QB as long as possible before benching him for a backup, and at that point you move on and never look back.

They all said it would be impossible to replace Mark and then go back to him afterwards. But that's exactly what Rex did.

He went against popular wisdom and went with his heart.

Staying with McElroy, the hot hand, would have been the 'easy' way to go, and been for more as a 'job saving' move by a scared HC.

The article got it completely backward...

#64 Footballgod214, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  5. alleycat9

but but but we were afc divisional round playoff champions 2 years... in A ROW!!!

i agree its pitiful. its just as bad as participation tropies.

#65 alleycat9, Dec 6, 2012
  6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Lol nobody is 'bragging' about the two playoff runs, it's pretty simple actually: people who want to clean house point to the last two years, whereas people who want to stick with this regime point to the first two. The first two years are proof that with some talent RR can take this team far. Get some talent.

7. HoffaLiesBeneath

HoffaLiesBeneath New Member

Rex is 5-10 in his last 15 games. He seems way too content with that. He has to go. I can't stand listening to him anymore. Starting Sanchez is a slap to the face to all Jets fans.

8. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Any coach can take his team far if he has elite talent. Do you want Jim Caldwell? Should the Eagles stick with Andy Reid?

Shit even Mike Shanahan got fired and he won SBs. If a coach isn't doing his job it doesn't matter what he has done in the past. A downhill trend means something is not working and a change may be warranted.

#68 BeastBeach, Dec 6, 2012
  9. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I don't take issue with him starting Sanchez, this will let Rex know going forward if the Sanchez we had the 1st two years will ever be back or if he is truly done.

The biggest issue I take is the quote by Tannenbuam... "Sanchez has the skill set" yeah no shit he does... 90% of the QB's in this league have the skill set or they wouldn't be in the league it's that 90% of them don't have the mental ability to become elite. There is no doubt that Mark has the arm, the escapability and the body to play in the league at a high level. It's that Mark can't read or analyze a defense that's the issue.

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

where did I flip flop?

I didn't brag about being 2 games ahea dof Miami, just stated a fact as Miami fans made fun of our team. The situations were nothing alike, you should try to keep up.

11. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

pretty much what I was thinking.

the media is just (as ever) desperate for a story and an angle - Rex isn't giving them one by guaranteeing superbowls so now the angle is "hey, wasn't he a much better coach when he was guaranteeing superbowls (even though we shit all over him for it)"

12. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Yeah that is pretty much the definition of flip-flopping but of course when the argument doesn't suit your desired outcome everybody expects you to say the situations are different.

13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Ther's nothing I flip flopped on, I simply reasponded to whiny phin fans bashing the Jets w/ the fact that we finished 2 games ahead of you. I don't know what that has to do w/ this argument other than you trying to deflect as usual.

14. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I do not think U were listening & watching when RR was hired. He was just a shill for WJ. Exampla A take his BS on winning the SB. I'm sure that WJ dreamed that up but now he looks like the dummy on the street right?

How about keeping on Shotty instead of being his own man & telling the powers to be no I want to get my own OCwhen he was hired

My impression is that most people on the board DO NOT watch very carefully what is really going on within the organization :sad:

15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

You absolutely can't win with the NY media. Especially when they are paid to sell controversy.

Take it back to the Mangini days. Media hated him for being tight mouthed to the extreme. Rex comes in, makes their jobs so much easier, and yet they still devour him for personal gain when convenient.

Rex works in the extremes. When things are going well, they can go really well. When things are down, both perception and reality can really go south..
    My goal is a championship, and due to his potential on the high extreme, still believe he is the right coach. Hopefully some of these bad times will just make him stronger.

16. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

He's not a "yes man", what he's doing makes fucking sense. Look, if Sanchez comes out and fucking blows cock after being benched last week, he's as good as done in NY. Now if he somehow puts a very solid performance and gains his confidence back (which is terribly unlikely) that results in a win for us and perhaps can turn around Mark's season (once again terribly unlikely).

It's truly a win-win situation. Sanchez sucks this week, expect him to be benched and McElroy or Tebow to start the rest of the year. If not maybe Mark gets that he needs to fucking FOCUS on football and not all the other activities in NYC like chasing women and being an alcoholic.

Rex has had to tone down his talk this year after last year's year ending fiasco. I bet he would like to really tell it like it is, but for the sake of the team he's not going to throw anyone from the team or his coaching staff under the bus, like you all would love.

17. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

Meanwhile Bill Cowher, Lovie Smith, and Tom Coughlin have endured losing seasons and crushing collapses and they still hold their jobs. The only teams that keep perpetually being shitty are the ones who keep firing their coachings and not providing stability. Tannenbaum should be fired because he has given Rex barely anything to work with on the offensive side of the ball for the past 2 years. Rex has coached up Wilkerson and Coples into beasts and our defense is only going to get better once we get rid of Pace and Scott. The lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball is a fucking joke, especially compared to how decent it was in 2010. There was no reason not to invest in the offense especially when your QB didn't show the stuff to be elite.

Give us a competent GM and keep Rex and this fan base will be rewarded for it's patience.

18. TheJetChase

TheJetChase Member

+111111
    Great post. Stability is the key to success in the NFL.

19. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

You talk about stability yet you want to fire the gm. What successful organization have you seen do that lately?

And how does the D get better simply by getting rid of Pace and Scott? You would need to draft upgrades, not just fill those holes. And with your acknowledgement that the offense needs more focus, where exactly are all these players coming from?

#79 BeastBeach, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  20. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

This, bad seasons happen. They are bound to happen.

People need to keep things in perspective to. If we finish 9-7 or 8-8 WITHOUT Revis and Holmes then who knows what we could have been if healthy?

Maybe we steal that game away from the Texans or Patriots. Im not using it as an excuse, but if you are going to fire a guy over a non-losing season without his best player then you are lost. This team is very young, people just dont realize it. Young WRs, Dline, etc.

I knew rebuilding was coming eventually, we had a lot of older players in 2010 (L.T., Jenkins, Taylor, Richardson, Edwards). In 2013 Rex is due for another playoff appearance, if not then I could see a change.