Article: Tim Tebow, New York Jets would benefit from position change

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by Demosthenes9, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

I think you are missing the point.

2. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

Well, he did say "usually" couldn't find one. Not that it was impossible. Just isn't commonplace to take a guy with really shitty accuracy to an all time great or even very good. For ever 7 names you came up with, I'm bettign about a hundred stayed at or near where they were when they came into the league. While improving accuracy has been done before, it's gonna be a hell of a tough hill to climb for Tebow to overcome a lifetime of bad throwing habits. Especially when he only visits some QB guru for a couple weeks before running off to go play in Hollywood.

But it's his career. He can manage it how he pleases. Just don't come crying if by the end of his FOURTH season next year his career ends up on life support because he can't shake the reputation he has for bad aim.

3. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Not only that, but he's applying something the late Tom Landry said out of context and to completion percentage, instead of actual accuracy.

I would be more pessimistic about Tebow if he didn't throw those downfield balls with such head-turning accuracy at times. His accuracy problems almost always have a component of timing, footwork, rhythm, or being late.

When everything goes right, the ball seems to be on target an incredibly high percentage of the time. This is what I think Steve Young is getting at when he calls Tebow a "natural thrower." He has the innate ability to put it on the button. We just have to figure out if he can can do it more quickly and reliably.

4. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

What a hilarious farking post. You can't just say "Whoops, I was wrong". Nope, you have to try and spin even that. "Derp, well, maybe he can, but it will be difficult and many others couldn't, Derp Derp".

You then had to throw in another BULLSHIT comment about running off to go play in Hollywood.

Hahahah, what a fucking joke.

5. Demosthenes9

I'd be more pessimistic if it wasn't for the fact that Tebow was very accurate in college and very consistent as well. His comp% was over 65% and he was something like 2nd in the nation in PER. His career comp% in college was higher than either of the Manning brothers for cripes sake.

6. Concerned_Citizen

Wrong about what? Scroll up, I wasn't the one who made the claim to begin with, so why would I come out and say I was wrong about it? Just merely pointing out that just because you found a few that DID improve on accuracy, didn;t mean he was wrong. His statement left room for a few exceptions.

And I'm spot on about his playing in hollywood. I'm betting his career would be in much better shape had he spent more offseason time improving his game rather than book tours, shooting commercials, biggest loser and Jon Stewart appearances... and basking in celebrity status.

7. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

Which begs the question... if the Mannings had lower comp% in the SEC than Tebow, but still became very successful NFL QBs... where is the logic behind Tebow's inaccuracy being chronic or unfixable?

8. Concerned_Citizen

Then what is the problem? He only had ONE game in his 15 1/2 starts where he was better than 50%.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

hmmm ok.

Except that if Tom Landry had said Tim Tebow is a great Quarterback, you'd prop that shit up like it was gold.

Every thread here in the TGG Tebow Ghetto would have to have at least one Tom Landry reference, and his argument would become commonplace with you.

But anyway - you're right, Brandt and Landry are both probably wrong. Maybe they are haters???

10. Demosthenes9

No, you aren't "spot on" about it at all. We've had this argument before and you came out looking like an ignorant tool, and nothing has changed since then.

11. Demosthenes9

His problem is consistency, which means that his retooled mechanics hadn't been burned into his muscle memory. He was thinking about his mechanics while trying to throw the ball which is not a position that one should be in.

It would be like a golfer stepping up to the tee saying "ok, ball should be slightly forward, elbows locked, now draw the clubhead up while pronating our left wrist, .... Yada, yada, yada.

If you have to think about it while doing it, you probably aren't going to do it very well on a consistent basis. That's one of the reasons why practicing is important.

12. Demosthenes9

No, they aren't haters, they just happen to be wrong, Brandt more so than Landry

13. Bannon

Bannon New Member

As Elway pointed out, the Broncos ran a run-centric, chunk yardage passing attack. You would expect a lower percentage on that type of attack, with a higher yards per completion.

As to his difficulties that cause the Broncos to adopt that attack (and which cause to throw a lower-than-acceptable completion percentage even after allowing some for that), he has mechanics that are not conducive to quick, accurate, shorter throws. His feet, body, and windup were not right and too slow -- causing errant passes in the short game.

It is either fixable, or it is not. But it is not a huge mystery. I think he looked much better this year in the small samples that we have seen.

14. Concerned_Citizen

How so? I seem to recall you saying he needed time off from time to time. I agreed, I just thought he could have taken a little bit more of a time out from being in front of the cameras to work on his game.

But hey, like I said, it's his career.

Put in some overtime working on that muscle memory with throwing that thing. If what you say is true that he's thinking about his throw too much, then he can get past that in an offseason if he applies himself. that's gonna cut into his showtime appearances and celebrity golf tournaments though.

15. Concerned_Citizen

Way too small of a sample IMO. That last game where he threw 3 and completed all of them went for a grand total of .... 8 yards. Gonna take more than a few dump offs to convince me.

I'd like to see him for at least a drive or two... full drives... before I will be open to the possibility. Gotta be a reason Rex seems hellbent on not using him. If Rex thought he was improved, I'm not sure why he'd be so unwilling to play Tebow when he has shown he is willing to pull Sanchez for McElroy. I don't really buy into the idea that they can't go back to Sanchez if they use Tebow, but can if they use McElroy.

16. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

We don't know if he improved or not. He hasn't played. All we have is a very small sample size of 6-7 passing this year which isn't enough to determine anything. I mentioned it before sarcastically that it showed improvement, but really we need to see more. You are correct though, that we may never get the chance to see it.

17. phaytal

phaytal New Member

:lol: :lol:

I've officially seen it all. A random Tebow jock sniffer is now calling one of the greatest coaches and football minds of all time, and one of the greatest and most knowledgeable front office people of all time, wrong.

And you people wonder why I come here...

[​IMG]

18. Demosthenes9

Are you really this ignorant?

19. Demosthenes9

And guess what you ignorant troll, I'm right :)

20. phaytal

phaytal New Member

[​IMG]