The Case For Tim Tebow

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by TTTTebowAndTheJets, Dec 5, 2012.

1. JFjets

JFjets New Member

Well hey, at least you're willing to consider that thought. That's progress. The answer is pretty easy. If we had never seen him play well when not limited (in the 4th Q and OT when they had to pass the ball), then the latter might be true. But we have seen him play well when the coaches have to "unleash" him and let him throw to score quick points, so clearly the former is a better representation of the true state of things.

As far as the whole practice thing, that's another topic of discussion. Didn't seem to bite Denver when they finally threw Orton over and went to Tebow, regardless of his "practice" performance. I believe Urban Meyer or some of the other coaching staff at Florida said he wasn't a great practice player then, either. Apparently Meyer thought it was more important that Tebow play well in games. Whodathunkit? Even with future HOF player Cam Newton (yes, I'm being sarcastic) behind him on the depth chart, Meyer went with Tebow.

2. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

It's not "moral superiority", rather, it's that it make sense for fans of Tebow or the Jets to be here. Your interest here is extremely creepy and stalkerish.

3. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

Moral superiority? You are grasping for straws.

If this were an "anti-Tebow" forum on a non-Jets related website and I logged in there and posted day-in and day-out defending Tebow, then you would have a point. But it is not, and thus, you don't.

So what is the obsession? What is drawing you here from Broncos country, neither a fan of the Jets, nor of Tebow? What is compelling you to talk about Tebow all day? Inquiring minds want to know. At least we'll know where you are coming from.

4. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

"The Almighty says, "Don't change the subject, just answer the fuckin' question."

Irish Stephen (Braveheart)

[​IMG]

5. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

I find the way some people react even to the tiniest criticism and outright hostility toward anyone questioning Tebow's ability extremely creepy.

What is this hold Tebow has on you to where many of you even deny a career 46.5 percentage as a starter ISN'T a problem, and every shortcoming he has is someone elses fault? Seems almost cultic to me.

6. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

What is your obsession to be in a Tebowmania forum and point out every shortcoming he has and give credit to his successes to everyone else but him.

Tebots all admit that they are Tebow fans, therefore they defend him.

I ask again... what is your axe to grind? Why are you so scared to say it? Is it that bad?

[​IMG]

7. Concerned_Citizen

Didn't I already tell you I'm not going to get into the personal stuff with you?

Feel free to keep banging your head on the that wall though. I'll sit here and watch.

8. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

Nobody is asking you what you do with your girlfriend or who you voted for. It's not personal. We're talking about Tebow and why you're devoting so much time bashing a Jet player in a Jet forum.

What are you hiding? lol.

9. JFjets

JFjets New Member

I've never said that and I challenge you to post even one example of anyone else ever saying that. Even Tebow's most steadfast supporters say he needs to improve in that area, and they believe he can and will. In the meantime, he did a pretty darn good job of getting by with a sub-par completion % in Denver last year because of the other things he brings to the table. If anyone is doing any "denying", it's you when you and others act like it's impossible for him to improve his completion %, even though legions of NFL QB's have done just exactly that, as they got more experience and playing time.

10. Demosthenes9

Who in the fuck said that the 46.5 percentage wasn't a problem ???

The thing is, your dumb ass doesn't bother to listen or pay attention to what other people say.

Guess what ? Most of us will happily tell you what his problems are and what we think he needs to work on.

Difference between us and your ilk is that you think it's impossible for him to improve, while we think he can.

11. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

And we're not afraid to admit our biases. He's got some super secret reason for being here.

12. Concerned_Citizen

If you're gonna blast people for misrepresenting what people say.... then you probably shouldn't keep doing it yourself.

Never said it was impossible. In fact, in a couple of threads today I said it is VERY possible. Sure it is possible, he CAN. I just think it is unlikely, and such an uphill climb given the curcumstances. Not only does he have to overcome a lifetime of bad throwing habits, he is about to end his tenure on his second team, neither of which invested a lot in improving that part of his game. You think those punt protection drills is helping his development any? how about having him bull rush forward on 1st and 10 on the 50 and then pulling him? Both the Broncos AND the Jets have done something similar.

He ain't helping himself either. Better fix it or his career will be on life support by the end of next year if it isn't already.

...and what I meant by the 46.5% not being a problem. I misspoke on that one. I'd have to do some digging but whenever pointed out that this was a problem, contributed directly to leading the league in three and outs, and not putting points up. When people say Steve Young or Elway did it, they are kinda passing off the 46% as no big deal simply because a lot of youngsters struggled. They always fall back on the win loss record (even though much of it on the backs of the defense) or suggest it isn't a big deal because his running ability offsets some of the incompletions.

So when they bring up the rushing yards, they're saying the 46% isn't quite as bad because his runs balance that out a bit. I'd be more inclined to buy that argument had the offense NOT been as unproductive as it was. running game was good, but STILL finishing #25 in overall offense tells me they were lacking a lot and the running obviously DIDN'T make up for it.

So I will admit I over simplified it by saying some of you pass his completion percentage as no big deal.

13. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

[​IMG]

14. Bannon

Bannon New Member

I've gone in cycles on my belief in Tim Tebow's prospects as an NFL quarterback. Here's how they went.

Finishing up college, I was resigned to the fact that he was going to go in the 3rd or 4th round, and be a backup. I was looking forward to casually monitoring his development of NFL mechanics over a 4 to 5 year period, hoping that he might go to a team that would use him in goal line and short yardage while he did that.

When his draft stock shot up (I believe that, objectively speaking, he was a better prospect than Jimmy Clausen and Colt McCoy, it was just a weak year for QB's), and when Josh McDaniels took him, I thought we were going to get to see him developed in a system designed for him. Josh McD at the time was the young hip offensive genius. So it was going to be fun to watch.

McDaniels got fired, and Tebow was put into action in some sort of conventional, worst of both worlds offense -- but he looked suprisingly good. Some rough edges, some deficiencies, but showed some real moxie, an NFL arm, and elite running ability.

I've never believe that Tebow is yet ready to be a fully competitive starting quarterback. It's been like riding a whirlwind, his race to work on his mechanics along with the opportunities to play he's had.

I considered last year a positive -- showed some real stuff, and the downside was no worse than I've seen from many quarterbacks that took a year or two to really figure things out.

When he lost his starting gig to Peyton, I didn't consider that a failure. I think Mark Sanchez would have been benched if Peyton wanted to come to NY. I think Matt Schaub would have been benched if Peyton wanted to be a Texan. There's no shame in that. Peyton is an all time great.

I never thought Tebow was entitle to walk in and start over Sanchez. Sanchez is a franchise, first round pick, who is owed a ton of money. Tebow is on his second team. Sanchez should get the primary consideration.

But I thought Tebow could settle in and just help out, without all the toxicity, without the supposed fans of his own team trashing him on a daily basis. And without the media (ESPN) obsessing over his every pass.

I don't see why there's such an attitude of "it's over, he sucks." He's barely played this year. He's a quality backup and he's done his part to fit in. He is not terrible at passing the ball. He's still a very intriguing prospect with a winning record in the NFL, and a cheap contract.

If everybody could just shut up and enjoy it, he could be fun to have around.

15. Demosthenes9

Oh, wait, what ? In ONE post you might have acted as if you had a fucking clue ???

Do I think that the punt protection drills are helping his QB development ? Not really. Nor are the bullrushes on 1st and 10.

But guess what genius ? That isn't all he does in practice. Remember ? He's the #2 which means he's out there getting reps in the base offense with the #2's. Notice any of the news reports or tweets that mention him THROWING IN PRACTICE ??

He's working on it.

This depends on what you are trying to argue. It's both a "big deal" and "not a big deal". It's "Not a big deal" because he's a young QB and is still developing. Just like when Elway threw for 48.5% or whatever in his first year. And yes, like it or not, Tebow's running ability does mitigate the lower comp% to some degree. This isn't specific for Tebow, but applies to all "dual threat" QBs.

They are right, it isn't "quite" as bad. As I said, the run numbers mitigate the lower percentage, TO A DEGREE. As Sanchez has shown, if your comp% is at 50%, you still aren't going to rank very high in overall offense. :)

It's not like Tebow's rushing would make his 48.5% comparable to a 65% passer or anything like that.

16. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

To your last 3 points. He plays for a team in NY that is impatient because it hasn't won a SB in forever but got oh so close 2 and 3 years ago. It was what many people predicted with him coming to the Jets. It why many people, like myself, also thought Tebow "chose" NY, for the spotlight. But the only person NY has loved forever is probably Jeter and MO, and they almost turned on Jeter during FA times. You have short lifespan as being like in NY.

If you aren't winning, you suck and the team needs to find a new direction. The media sells that, the fans buy, and it's a vicious cycle

17. phaytal

phaytal New Member

Sorry, but Tim Tebow made himself the martyr that you're making him out to be. He put himself, and continues to put himself, in the spotlight, when he should just shut the fuck up and play football.

You don't get to make an anti-abortion commercial, that airs during the Super Bowl, and expect to fly under the radar. You don't get to write a memoir at age 23 :)lol:), and expect to be treated like everyone else. You don't get to hold press conferences after every game, when you play 2 plays, as a second string player, and expect your teammates to take you seriously.

So don't try to play the 'Tebow is a victim' card. He brought every bit of the ridiculous attention he gets upon himself.

18. JFjets

JFjets New Member

No more unlikely than any other NFL QB improving his completion percentage with experience and time playing. See my list on the other thread of Hall of Fame QB's who improved their completion % anywhere from 5-15%+ over the course of their careers, in order to become one of the best of the best.

Please, do tell us why this is an incorrect sentiment that we aren't allowed to have with regards to those 2 QB's, or any other young QB, including Tebow? Please explain just exactly why Tebow's low completion % as a young NFL QB can't figure into the same category as Elway's low completion % and Young's low completion % as young QB's. I'll be waiting.

Oh yeah, that reminds me, I'm still waiting for you to name the last NFL team with a 35% PASS/65% RUN ratio that was a prolific, high-scoring offense. Having a wee bit of trouble finding one? Why does it not surprise me that you haven't even acknowledged this question of mine and furthermore why does it not surprise me that you haven't acknowledged that that run/pass ratio might just have an eensy, weensy little bit to do with why many of the games were low-scoring affairs?

Will wonders never cease. An admission of wrong. Don't worry, I won't get used to it.

Since Tebow declared for the draft, have you ever, at any time since then, felt like many of his detractors didn't want him to even have a chance to show he could play QB in the NFL? Have you ever seen such an accomplished player at his position in college, so vilified before he was even selected in the draft or had stepped on an NFL field for the first time? Do you know why that is? Because so many of his detractors DIDN'T want him to even have a chance to show he could play QB in the NFL! Man, it is not about football. I've said it 1,000 times if I've said it once. It's not about football. It's about Tebow the person/Christian, not Tebow the QB. Sure, a lot of them couch their criticism in football terms, but many of his detractors have been kind enough to let their guard slip and say something proving that this is exactly the case. There are a whole lotta' anti-Christian bigots in America, and anti-Christian bigotry is the driving force now, and always has been, behind the effort to drum Tebow out of the league. It's the reason he gets judged by a completely different standard than other young NFL QB's.

19. JFjets

JFjets New Member

AND....right on cue, in swoops phaytal to give us another real life example of the anti-Christian bigotry in effect against Tebow. Perfect timing, phaytal. You forgot to put "This message approved by the Southern Poverty Law Center and all other anti-Christian bigots and anti-Christian organizations." at the end of your post.

See Bannon? Like taking candy from a baby, phaytal, thank you for being so obliging. Typical Liberal, "free speech for me but not for thee".

20. phaytal

phaytal New Member

My post had nothing to do with religion. It had to do with Tebow constantly putting himself in the spotlight.

You're an idiot.