Article: Tim Tebow, New York Jets would benefit from position change

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by Demosthenes9, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Agree completely with what he said about Tebow in Denver last year. That said, has Brandt seen Tebow passing the ball much since working on his mechanics during this past offseason ?

Fair enough, let's start.

Tom Landry was wrong, accuracy can be improved. Aaron Rodgers is proof of that as he was more accurate his 4th year in the league than he was in his first 3. Eli Manning started out with a 48.2% comp percentage and went to a high of 62%. Peyton started out at 56.7% and went to a high of 68%. John Elway started at 47.5% and went to a high of 63%. Drew Brees went from 60.8% to a high of 70.2. Steve Young went from 52.2% to a high of 70.3%. Joe Montana went from 56.5% to 70.2%.

WILL Tebow do the same thing ? Don't know. Is it possible ? Most certainly, as history has shown us.

Tebow isn't the only QB who has trouble with anticipation. Actually, MOST young QBs have trouble with it and the one's who don't are thought to be ahead of the experience level in developing.

A young QB with a grand total of 16 starts under his belt doesn't have the "awareness" of guys like Brady or Manning ?? Really? BTW, Manning got fooled plenty in the game against the Falcons which is the reason for all the interceptions. Brady gets fooled as well. But, in general, yeah, they are much better than Tebow at picking apart defenses. Would really think that having been an NFL QB for 12+ years would help with that.

Not much to point out here other than to note, again, the guy has a grand total of 16 starts. Touch and timing is something that many/most young QBs have issues with to one degree or another.

Not as fast as Dan Marino only tells us that he wasn't as fast Marino. A longer release is not a deal breaker for a QB. Randall Cunningham had a long release and he seems to have done ok. Additionally, release time can be improved by working on mechanics.

For the short term, this wouldn't pose much of a problem as Tebow's style of play in the correct offense would obviate the need to hit such tight passing windows. Over the long term he'd need to improve. Same can be said about most QBs to some degree or another.

Again, comparing Tebow, with his 16 starts, to Brady or Manning ?? BTW, the coaches who have spent time with him and talked with him have said that he has a very good offensive mind and understands concepts quickly. Guys like McDaniels (bad head coach but great OC), Chan Gailey, John Gruden, Marc Trestman, etc.

This one I agree with completely. He does still need to practice working under center and on his overall footwork. That said, it's a correctable problem. Hell, Mark Sanchez still needs to do some work on his footwork :)

Would have to see the actual play.

This is just a completely clueless statement. His "touch" isn't great, but to say that he throws everything with one speed is just outright wrong.

Ummm, the same way they keep a lot of other players who are still developing ?

How about Qback ?

Some of us already know what his best position is. We are just waiting for the rest of you to discover it :)

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That was an excellent article. Well thoughout, researched, fair, and spot on. Gil Brandt is one of the smartest in the business with a great track record to boot. I think it also shows probably what a lot of GMs in the NFL are thinking as well.

As an aside:
    (-I wish you didn't break it up with your stupid ass comments though. Wah, He needs time to develop - over and over...
    -Questioning Gil Brandt and Tom Landry??? yea those guys don't know shit, I trust your dumbass over them, good call.
    -And lastly, just because he mentions a Brady or a Manning or someone when discussing QB traits, doesn't mean he's comparing** Tebow to them. He's simply saying Tebow is very poor at that, listing some of the best in the business at that trait so that we can gain a better understanding of what that trait is, and can do for a QB. -- Essentially, he's not saying Tebow is terrible because he's not Brady,Manning, etc. etc. He's saying Tebow is terrible because he's really lacking in these QB skills/traits. By naming names he's helping us to understand those traits because it's easier to see and identify them from the guys who are best at it....)

I particularly liked the part about Tebow's anticipation. Personally, I think that's his biggest deficiency and I haven't been able to put a finger on it until Gil Brandt laid it out like that. He doesn't throw people open, or even anticipates them getting open.. he waits until they're open and throws. He's behind the game. It's like everyone else is going at 100mph and Tebow isn't. He doesn't throw if they aren't open, that's why he doesn't throw alot of interceptions but he's playing behind the defense, which is dangerous and won't hold up. - - It's not just a rookie/experience thing either, as most rookies show much more anticipation.

-I think it has a lot to do with the talent he played with at Florida. When your recieving targets (harvin,hernandez, murphy, nelson, rainey etc.) are truly better and faster than the competition, you CAN wait until they get open and then throw it. In the NFL where the disparities aren't there, you can't get away with that.

I think he would make an excellent player out of the backfield. He could play a long time in this league as a Fullback/wild cat QB, and he could be deadly pounding the rock and occasionally taking a handoff and flicking a deep pass.
    Imagine him in Pittsburgh with Big Ben at QB and Tebow at FB, getting 5-10 carries a game with an occasional pass, with a fast RB like Rainey or something.

Unfortunately for him, as I like him as an individual, he's going to bring such a rapid and emotional fanbase and circus with him wherever he goes that I doubt he will get an opportunity to develop or settle into that role. I think that's what the Jets were trying but we've had front row seats to this circus. Even in the dream scenario above in Pittsburgh, as soon as Big Ben threw a pick he'd have thousands of nut-hugging Tebow fans crying for him to start... he'd have to answer questions everyday about Tebow, etc. Not good for anyone.

3. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

This is either a flat out lie, or a gross exaggeration. I can show you videos of highlights from last year where he did all the things you just say he can't or doesn't do.

4. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

He has made just about every kind of pass you can be asked to make in the NFL. I've seen enough to know it is POSSIBLE with him. The PROBLEM with that is that those came too few and far in between.

I suppose given enough attempts, even you and I could eventually make a throw like those.

But NFL teams simply need more of it from him than he has. It's about consistency, and it just seems too many of his passes are at player's ankles or behind the receiver. Just doesn't have the timing.

Some chalk it up as him missing a couple of weeks with the first string in camp, and therefore hindering his ability to adjust in THREE months with them. (Which I think is rediculous.) However, I read one analyst that said he was more of a "sight" thrower rather than an "anticipatory" one. He tends to throw the ball where the receiver is AT rather than where he should expect him to be. This limited yards after catch because receivers had to keep breaking stride to catch the ball off their shoelaces or twist to catch the ball that is behind them. (Also leaving them vulnerable to get killed out there.)

This is why we saw fewer and fewer mid range passes. Long ones, all he had to do was lob it over everyone's head and let the receiver adjust. As long as it is close, a receiver has a shot to make a play on them. But there's a reason those are low percentage plays since the defender has the same opportunity and all he has to do is knock it away. The very short ones usually have someone wide open but barely go anywhere because the box was already stacked with 8 guys prior to the play. He actually led the league in passes that went for negative yards as well as long range completion.

This is why I think his passes were either very long or very short. Less anticipation in tight defensive converage in the 5-12 yard range... which is where most of the defensive secondary and linebackers are. He just doesn't have the accuracy and anticipation to to perform surgery on a defense like that, and it showed.

#4 Concerned_Citizen, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I've been saying this since the preseason....... but maybe he just can't catch?

6. BrowningNagle

Don't bother. We've ALL seen countless "highlights" posted on here over and over from you and your Tebow friends since the Jets traded for him... one or two highlights doesn't prove that's not an issue of his anyway.

7. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

It is a good article, well written to. Though it is like a month old.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

You guys are awesome.

9. Demosthenes9

Oh no, we can't dare question Gil Brandt or Tom Landry, even when the evidence clearly shows that BOTH WERE WRONG.

here's the pertinent part of the article:

I found 7 notable QBs without even spending much time searching.

Again, that's the problem with many of you all. You don't bother to THINK FOR YOURSELVES. You see shit spoonfed to you by "experts" and conclude that it must be right. That it can't be questioned.

Hell, we can do this the really simple way. have you ever met a 10 year old kid who could throw the ball as accurately as Aaron Rodgers ? Nope, probably not. BUT, given time, coaching AND PRACTICE, some of those 10 year olds very well WILL BECOME as accurate as Rodgers.

Guess what ? That means that you CAN IMPROVE ACCURACY.

10. JFjets

JFjets New Member

Winner, best post of the day.:up:

11. BrowningNagle

I'm not even going to comment on the 10 year old thing because that's an incredibly stupid analogy and in no way relates to the discussion.....

Also not surprisingly, You are missing the point though about Tom Landry's hypothesis. You are only looking at the raw numbers. It's not as if statisically a person's accuracy won't improve. Stats can easily hinge on numerous factors - the guys catching or not catching the balls, the defense, weather, play calling etc, etc, etc.., it can fluctuate and it can be manipulated.

What he is saying is that if a QB is struggling with his accuracy, he will most likely always struggle with that his whole career, or vice versa. That has remained true. They might be able to improve his completion percentage (statistics) by calling plays he can throw or whatever, but they will always limited because of his accuracy.

The "7 notable QBs that you found without spending much time searching" have always been accurate QBs. Their statistics trending slightly upwards is most likely a combination of decision making and experience, not a vast improvement in their ability to throw accurate passes.

12. BrowningNagle

Tebow fan cheerleader of the day.

13. JFjets

JFjets New Member

"Always" starting when? Their first start in the NFL? Their last start in NCAA? Their whole NCAA career?

Excuse me if I laugh while you call an 18% completion percentage swing for Steve Young over the course of his NFL career "trending slightly upwards". Of course guys who have "always" been accurate passers can improve their completion % by a combination of decision making and experience. You win the award for most obvious statement of the day. Seen in a bubble, no one would have called Steve Young either an accurate QB or an efficient QB his first few years in the NFL, so when you say "always", you obviously mean we knew he was an always an accurate passer because of what his college stats showed. So guess what, he got the benefit of the doubt and people kept taking chances on him in the NFL because we already knew he was capable of throwing accurate passes, because we had plainly seen that in abundance during his college career.

And now I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for making the very point that so many Tebow supporters have been making for several years now. Of course you didn't mean to make it to further a pro-Tebow argument, you meant it as an anti-Tebow argument, but you're stuck now, you did it and your hypocrisy has been exposed here, full circle. Thanks for playing. We know Tebow is capable of throwing accurate passes because he did it as an all-time elite passing QB at Florida for 3 years. Is it possible that as he develops "better decision making" and "more experience", this Tebow guy - who we know can throw the football accurately, might just have his own completion percentage "trending upwards" over time? Oh yeah, that Young guy, by the way, said he firmly believes that Tebow has the natural QB talent to be at the very least a good NFL QB, and possibly a great NFL QB.

14. Demosthenes9

Dude, you are out of your mind. QBs don't come out of the womb with the ability to throw a 30 yard back shoulder fade accurately, they get that ability through PRACTICE.

I'll readily agree that there are some things that QBs are "born with", that you can't really "develop". Accuracy isn't one of them. Accuracy is the result of good mechanics and being able to repeat those mechanics consistently.

"Oh, Dear ole Tom Landry said something about football, so it MUST be right!" Really ? How did the platooning of QBs work out for him ? Whoops, guess he was wrong about that.

Landry was a great coach, no doubt about that, but that doesn't mean that he was right about everything he ever said or that he couldn't have been wrong.

As for "Stats can easily hinge on numerous factors - the guys catching or not catching the balls, the defense, weather, play calling etc, etc, etc.., it can fluctuate and it can be manipulated. ", all that "smooths" out over the course of the year and a large sample size. It would only be "true" or "valid" if you tried to do something like compare one quarter to another, or one game to another.

As for your last claim, hell, you do know that it's possible that an "accurate" QB can still improve his accuracy ? That is, he can become even more accurate ?

15. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

It's actually a good analogy and very relevant. It doesn't support your views, which is why you dismiss it, but it is spot on.

16. BrowningNagle

Are you a little sore from that incredibly long stretch you just made?????

It's truly amazing the spin you and your Tebow fan friends will put on everything to insure Tebow comes out looking good. I don't think I could/would want to do that even if I was on the guy's payroll!!!

You literally just did this:

My post (defending the opinion of perhaps the greatest football mind ever - Tom Landry)

Your post:
    -spun it, unprovoked, into a discussion about Steve Young and his career
    -somehow spun that into a discussion of Tebow's college career (surprise.. surprise..)
    -spun even THAT further into Steve Young's opinion of Tebow to further prove Tebow is good.

I can't believe this shit. Politicians will pay men and women alot of $$ and not get this much out of their spin artists, you do it out of love.

#16 BrowningNagle, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  17. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Honestly, he will never change positions. Think about he has had success as an NFL QB. You think he is going to give it up now? If he completely failed, like Eric Crouch and Micheal Robinson then he would consider.

18. BrowningNagle

another tebow fan cheerleader, good job.

Does it not seem odd to you that the OP is quick to say the article is unfair when he thinks they are comparing Tebow to Tom Brady (professionals in the same realm) yet, he uses an analogy comparing 10 year olds to Aaron Rodgers?????????????

19. Demosthenes9

Hey Genius, I'm not knocking the ten year old or saying that he can't/won't get better and should switch positions.

That, essentially, is what Brandt has done. Using my example, he'd look at a 10 year old, say "you aren't good at this like Brady or Rodgers. Sorry kid, you'd best switch to another position".

20. Demosthenes9

Again, you're looking at what someone says and accepting it as "fact", JUST BECAUSE they are an "expert". Even though readily available facts and a sound logical argument proves that they were wrong on the issue

Just because Tom Landry was one of the greatest football minds ever DOES NOT MEAN THAT EVERYTHING HE BELIEVED OR SAID IS TRUE.

Believe it or not, genius, Tom Landry was wrong now and then.