tebows throwing motion

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by alleycat9, Nov 15, 2012.

1. phaytal

phaytal New Member

Nice bump of a thread that has been dead for two weeks.

Desperation is a helluva drug.

2. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

Here, chew on this one... Nope, nothing wrong with this throwing motion at all. He can't hit the broad side of a barn because he wasn't drilled in camp with the starters instead of the second string...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Starts with a windup that goes all the way back to the endzone behind him.... to behind his head, and then to some over the top statue of liberty throw... and people wanna know why he has a less than 50% completion percentage over his career.

No wonder he looks like he's having a seizure when he throws it.... and idiots actually tried to tell me he throws similar to Manning :lol:

#162 Concerned_Citizen, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  3. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

Idiot #1 checking in here, but I don't think Tebow and Manning have similar throwing motions. I think that most QBs point the football in the opposite direction during the windup, which was where the OP made his mistake.

I don't know why he was 67% in college and 50% in the NFL. It's truly baffling to me. I think he just needs more time to develop in game situations and he'll be back to his 60+ passing percentage. I think it has a lot to do with the avg distance of his attempts, and propensity to throw the ball away rather than throw an INT. Admittedly, he made many poor throws that were not near an open receiver that cannot be excused. It was strange to see this, because it is not something I was used to seeing from Tebow.

It's how he generates velocity. If you look at Sanchez in the picture, he is leaning back then he will propel himself forward to get his velocity. Tebow is more upright and uses his arm strength more then his core. Just different ways of generating power. Both methods add fractions of a second to the throwing motion.

4. Concerned_Citizen

Look, I really don't care which way they point the ball prior to the throw. I'm not the one that made that silly argument, I didn't defend it. I agree, not that big a deal as quarterbacks all over the league point the nose the other way when winding up. Not a big deal and inconsequential when the throw itself is what matters.

Yes, I heard he had a pretty good percentage in Florida. 10 out of 11 of his starters are in the NFL, several of them thriving. I think it was because he had a hell of a team around him... one that played a style that actually works in college and suits him quite well. Damn near NFL caliber when you consider

The NFL is MUCH faster, the guys hes playing against are MUCH better. A more structured approach is needed to get past these guys as he no longer has the luxury of running over guys who are now selling insurance. Just isn't making the transition very well. Look at the number of Heisman winners that DIDN'T pan out in the NFL, it is split almost 50/50 with those that did.

But he uses his entire body into the throw? Remember that javelin video I posted a couple weeks back? He cocks it waaay back, pulls it behind his head, and puts his whole body into a throw that only needs to go about 20 yards. If anything, there's a bit too much core body work in the throws. It's like he's trying to throw it as hard as he can even when unneccessary. ...and that is just with the arm motion. It has also pointed out that his footwork is also all over the place.

He could get away with that in college, especially with a team like that around him. (One that was good enough to win a championship with Chris Leak as QB, and where has HE been lately?) But so far, it has been problematic in the NFL. The biggest thing holding him back.

5. _Jet_

_Jet_ Member

6. Concerned_Citizen

...and? Don't see Brady pulling the ball behind his head all the way between his shoulder blades in either throw.

...and the other one seems to have a problem with a defender yanking on his shirt. Yeah THAT won't disrupt a pass attempt.

Oh well, guess tebow is no different. Throws like all the greats... He's pretty good...

...and monkeys might fly out of my butt.

7. _Jet_

_Jet_ Member

You have no clue what's really wrong with Tebow's motion.

8. Concerned_Citizen

You have no clue that there is a problem at all, so obviously I'm ahead of you.

9. JFjets

JFjets New Member

accidentally hit reply, not finished with message yet.

10. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Ummm, wouldn't ALL the players that Tebow would be surrounded by now, if he was starting, be NFL starters ?

DUH.

11. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

hey how did this get here? this was a tebot forum thread.

well it appears i didnt realize i was in the tebot forum area.

12. JFjets

JFjets New Member

His throwing motion is confused. How many other successful QB's in the NFL were asked to largely change their throwing motion, and quick, and did it without any growing pains at all?

Also, Elway himself said that one reason Tim's completion % was low was because such a high % of his throws were down the field bombs, which are naturally a very low percentage throw. You remember that Elway guy, right?

I know you don't care about Tebow's stats unless they show him in a negative light, but take a gander at these split stats for some very well known QB's. Very interesting, I would say.

Here are the QB's I compared, and which year after their name:

Tim Tebow (2011)
    Cam Newton (2011)
    Andy Dalton (2011)
    Christian Ponder (2011)
    Blaine Gabbert (2011)
    Aaron Rodgers (2011)
    Eli Manning (2011)
    Tom Brady (2011)
    Robert Griffin III (2012)
    Andrew Luck (2012)
    Peyton Manning (2012)

Personally, I consider any throw of 30+ yards to be a long one (I'm talking about the actual throw being that far, not a short throw and then yards after catch), so I compared the percentage of throws of 30+ yards that each of the above QB's attempted, and have expressed it below as the % of their overall attempts in the season listed.

Pass Attempts of 31+ yards expressed as a Percentage of Overall Pass Attempts (I used the "Pass Thrown 31-40 yds" and "Pass Thrown 41+ yds" split stat categories on ESPN to get these numbers)

Tebow - 9.22%
    Eli Manning - 5.94%
    Ponder - 5.15%
    Newton - 4.83%
    Dalton - 4.65%
    Griffin - 4.61%
    Luck - 4.37%
    Rodgers - 3.98%
    Peyton Manning - 3.13%
    Brady - 2.45%
    Gabbert - 2.17%

According to the above numbers, Tebow had nearly double the 31+ yard pass attempts compared to most on the list, and nearly triple or even quadruple compared to some on the list. Maybe that Elway guy was onto something when he said one big reason for Tebow's low completion % - and not unexpected - is because of the higher % of down the field, long throws he attempted compared to the average. The numbers bear him out to a "T" on that assertion.

#172 JFjets, Dec 5, 2012
  13. Concerned_Citizen

WOW!!!!

ummmm, yeah. but now he's facing NFL caliber defenses rather than insurance salesman. He no longer has the luxury of leading an almost NFL caliber roster against scrubs working for State Farm right now.

Tell me you DIDN'T actually miss that point in my post and you're just being silly.

14. Concerned_Citizen

His throwing motion is confused? A couple of people tried to say it was Steve Young's throw, or like manning, or like Brady. At least you are admitting there is something wrong with it now. Progress. There's hope for you.

You know why they went downfield so much? cuz all he had to do was hurl the ball downfield and the receivers would adjust and make a play on it.

They almost completely eliminated mid range passes from the game plan because they were almost always behind people, at their ankles, and he really struggled to read defenses.

He also led the league in percentage of passes that went for negative yardage. About all he could do was chuck it downfield and hope it was close enough, or dump it off 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage where even he couldn't miss... but did often enough.

Elway wasn't going to slam his QB by saying that much to the media, though. Unfortunately, you don't get to hear what people REALLY think unless the quote is anonymous.

15. Gastin-oh

Gastin-oh New Member

Just caught this nugget googling Tebow working on mechanics.
    I guess he's now on his at least 6th year off "working on it".

As a freshman, Tebow “always tried to muscle the ball in there,” said Dan Mullen, his offensive coordinator and position coach at Florida for three seasons. By not incorporating enough of his torso, hips and legs, Tebow was putting stress on his shoulder. If he did not modify his motion, Tebow would have been at risk for injury. ..So in February 2007, about six months before the start of his sophomore season, he visited the Biomechanics and Motion Analysis Laboratory at Florida. There, Tebow fired football after football as digital cameras captured images from all angles. (March 25,2012 NY Times)

also- same article:
    During one CBS broadcast, Gary Danielson on his delivery "Tebow’s delivery as a 9-year-old was meausred (video) against Tebow’s as a senior, and “they looked exactly the same.”

#175 Gastin-oh, Dec 5, 2012
  16. JFjets

JFjets New Member

Dude, quit lyin'. I don't think I ever said there was ANYTHING wrong with his throwing motion. I said he was trying to change it to something he wasn't used to, away from the one he had used all his life. Even if his current motion was identical to Steve Young's (which no one ever said), the point that you are intentionally overlooking is that it isn't Tebow's motion, the throwing motion that he used to become not a just a good or great passer in college, but an elite passer in the toughest conference in the NCAA, throwing to some receivers who are in the NFL who are #1's and have had some success, and some who aren't even starting for their teams.

To that all-star cast of receivers who kept on dropping sure TD passes?:rofl: And you're wrong, because nearly everyone acknowledges that Tebow throws a good deep ball.

- 75% completion percentage on passes behind the line of scrimmage
    - 57% completion percentage on passes from 1-10 yards

He slammed Tebow "softly" to the media often enough on other occasions, no reason for him to lie in this instance. Maybe you never considered he was actually telling the truth....You just can't admit that maybe when you dig deeper into the situational and split stats that they might show things are a little less cut and dried than just "Tebow can't throw".

That delivery was good for a 66% career completion percentage as a starter in the SEC, better than either Manning brother - by a lot. Joe Montana said Tebow shouldn't have messed with his throwing motion when he came to the NFL.

17. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

Revisionist history.

It *helps* any QB to have good teammates, but if it were the case that they were the main reason for his success, then it would make little sense that he would be regarded as arguably the greatest college football player of all time. Why would he win a Heisman and be in the running for it each year if it was all his teammates? Were the sports writers completely wrong then, but you are right now?

McElroy won a championship at Alabama, even beating the Tebow led Gators. But there was no illusion that McElroy was better than Tebow. Matter of fact, NOBODY said Tebow sucked until Mel Kiper Jr. started this B.S. during the pre-draft. This whole argument didn't exist.

18. Concerned_Citizen

May not have existed at the time, but it sure as hell does now. Tebow wouldn't have gotten a sniff of championships OR the heisman without the guys around him. We BOTH know the QB will get the attention on a talent stacked roster. If a guy like Chris Leak can get a championship with many of the same guys a couple years before... I gotta believe they played a bigger role in Tebow's success than tebow himself.

Some do regard Tebow as one of the best college players ever, but I think that is all just part of the warm fuzziness people have toward Tebow. There have been some damn good players come out of college throughout history, I think it is a stretch to say Tebow was the best. I'd be more inclined to believe it if he was able to do something similar playing for Vanderbilt or something and not the really stacked team known as the Gators at the time.

19. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

The Gators are always stacked, yet they don't always win the championship. You have a better case to make this argument about Jeff Driskell. The Gators are 11-1 and had a shot at the NC this year, but nobody is confusing Driskell with Tim Tebow. Tebow had gaudy stats and was THE BEST player on the team, non-debatable.

Guess who else is always stacked... Alabama, LSU, OSU, FSU, UM, OU, UT, ND. Their QBs are not always in the Heisman race.

20. Concerned_Citizen

...and any one of those would have made Tebow look like a really really good player.

A team like Vanderbilt or temple? Not so much.

Not saying Tebow wasn't a good college player, but best ever? or one of? Still think that has more to do with Tebow's charm than anything else. He was a pretty damn good player in college, probably would be among my first choices if I had to build a college team. but he's in his third year of the NFL, and about the only thing he might be best in the league at is over-exposure with the media.