IND 9-5, CIN 8-6, PIT 7-7, Jets 6-7... Playoffs!?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

There's no way that's a serious or intellectually honest question.

2. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Well that's if there's a three way tie, but yeah that's an interesting scenario. Still only applies IF the Jets win out

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

that's nice but I ask again?

Pitt? we got killed
    SF? we got killed
    Hou? maybe but JJ Watt was great and won that game for Hou
    at NE? Mark kept us in the game
    vs. NE? we lost 49-19
    at Sea? maybe
    Mia? we got killed

4. TheGreenCantona

You are kidding right?

5. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

You still don't get it, do you?

Redzone interceptions.

Sanchez had one against Houston, 1st New England, and Seattle. ALL of those times, we given up at LEAST three points.

We lost to Houston by 6, 3 of their points came from a red zone turnover.

We lost to New England by 3. Red zone turnover wiped out the chance for a field goal.

We lost to Seattle by 21. Put up ANY score, and the game drastically changes.

Those are three games we lost right there that are mainly due to Sanchez. If you can't see that, I guess you must like hanging on to Mark Sanchez too

6. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

This is wrong info.

That's not how the tie-break system works.

If 2 teams from the same division are tied, a tie-break is used to get to 1 team per division. So the Steelers and Bengals would have their division record as a tie break first (assuming they split with each other).

That would most likely leave the Steelers (who are currently one game up on the Bengals in the division).

7. TheGreenCantona

not to mention the dynamic of the game, i think it was devastating in the NE game when Mark turned the first one over. You could just feel that the whole stadium and all players just felt like "here we go again"

8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

WE GOT KILLED BECAUSE OF DAT SANCHEZ DEFICIENCY BRAH. Do you not remember these games? Too much Dolphins games/ UNC basketball for you lol

9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The one vs. Hou was tipped, a GREAT play by Watt.

at NE he made a mistake but that was a deep pass into the EZ and he led us back from 10 down late to give us a LEAD.

yeah Brah, we lost solely b/c of the QB and we were so great in '09/'10 we won in spite of him.

10. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Mark's performances gave us absolutely no chance to win the following games: Miami, Houston (the red zone interception right before the half completely changed the complexion of that game), Seattle, and New England on Thanksgiving night. I also think a legitimate argument could be made that he gave us no chance to win the SF game, although I think we were so badly beaten on a physical level in that game, that I would be hard-pressed to include that one. The fact of the matter is, Mark has been nothing short of dreadful this year and his unprecedented propensity for game-changing turnovers has been the single biggest hindrance to this team having a successful season.

Also, I love how you nonchalantly proclaim that "mark kept us in" the 1st New England game while failing to mention that, with a chance lead us down the field for the winning (or even tying) score in overtime, he committed his weekly game-changing turnover to abruptly end the game.

11. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Well, depends on your definition of "good." It's never good when you fail to make the playoffs. It's also not good if you're out of the playoffs to have a middle of the road draft position. A .500 season is basically as "average" as you can get.

However, I would say that it is a good result for a season for a team missing their top playmakers on offense and defense as with them you could reasonable assume we would have won another game or two and would have been playoff bound. You can kind of extrapolate that into next year and hope that with those players back you can be a playoff team. That's about the highest point on the positives as it gets though, and even that has a fairly "moral victory" tinge to it.

12. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

The Steelers still have to play the Bengals and the Browns. If those are the 2 games that they drop, the Bengals would have a better conference record and the Steelers would be eliminated. The Jets would eliminate the Bengals (if we are both 9-7) due to a better AFC record. It's not likely, but it could happen.

13. Barcs

Barcs Banned

The chargers friggin suck. They should have had that game in the bag. At least we know that we should be able to beat them. They're probably near the bottom of the league with turnovers like us. I mean how many ways can you blow a game? They find a way every time. I don't wanna hear any more talk about bringing Norv turner in. His team has had the same issues for years and they still haven't fixed them. That falls on coaching.

14. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Obviously we can't have two 10-6 teams, so what we really needed was to be at 6-7 while the Steelers and Bengals were both 7-6 and about to play eachother, and the Colts at 8-5 about to play the Texans. This scenario would have given us an excellent chance to get in with three games remaining.

While this is still mathemtically possible, it looks highly unlikely now.
    I think we'll wake up 6-7 on Monday AM with the Colts 9-4, Steelers 8-5 and Bengals 7-6. The fact that all three won on the road yesterday was a killer for us ... Especially the Colts. We would have been fine with the Steelers winning every game because we don't want to risk being in a two team tie with them anyway ... but only if the Colts didn't win 10 games. Now it looks like we're screwed. It looks like we need to concede the #5 spot to Indy and hope for the unlikely scenario where both the Steelers and Bengals go 9-7. Probably not going to happen unless SD pulls out a huge upset in Pittsburgh on Sunday. I'm not holding my breath.

15. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

I'm not really interested in sneaking into the playoffs just to get our head kick in. We can't compete with teams at playoff levels right now.

16. Lon Chaney

In this scenario you are the assuming that the Bengals would go 2-2 with their 2 wins being against Pitt and Balt. Fine. But then they would have the same conference record as the Jets at 7-5.

The next tie-break would be common opponents which also would be tied (JAX, MIA, SD, PITT) at 3-2

The next tie-break would be strength of victory which I'm not going to try and figure out now. But I would assume that Cincy's would be better considering they would have beaten Pitt, Balt and NYG. The Jets best victory would be IND with nobody else finishing with a winning record.

#336 Lon Chaney, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  17. Lon Chaney

This scenario won't help either. Read my post above.

18. truthbtold

You're wrong. A 9-7 Jets team would get in if there's a 3 way tie with Cincy and Pitt because the only way Pitt and Cincy can end up 9-7 is if they have 6 conference losses. A 9-7 Jets team would have 5 conference losses.

EDIT: Correction ... one of the Cincy losses would have to be @ Pitt or vs Baltimore ... but I don't think they'll win both of those games.

#338 truthbtold, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  19. truthbtold

The more I think about this, the more sure I am that the Lions fucked us yesterday. The fact that they shit the bed in the last 3 minutes will turn out to be the final nail in our coffin. I don't even think the Bengals wll get to 9 wins. I see them losing to Dallas, Pittsburgh and Baltimore. Therefore, the Colts getting that extra win is the difference between making it at 9-7 or bein eliminated at 9-7.

Now we 'll be eliminated at 9-7 because the Colts will win 10 and the Bengals will only win 8. That means a Steelers team with 10 wins knocks us out ... and a Steelers team with 9 wins knocks us out. Anyone out there think the Steelers go 8-8?

20. Lon Chaney

I think you're wrong here. Ill double che k. But I think that the only way for both teams to finish 9-7, with. Cincy having a better division record is to have them finish 7-5 in the AFC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.