Who should start next week?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Bannon, Dec 2, 2012.

?

If you were Rex, who would you start next week?

1. Mark Sanchez

39 vote(s)
    13.5%
  2. Tim Tebow

39 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. Greg McElroy

210 vote(s)
    72.9%
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I can agree with most of this. It was the right decision to take Sanchez out because he was turning it over and needed to be held accountable.

I also agree it's time for the Jets to look elsewhere at the QB position going forward.

But I don't think it's necessarily a given that had they not benched Sanchez they would've lost that game. It's not really saying much to say he could've gotten them 7 points, but I think he could've eventually. They were running the ball fairly well on offense and Arizona just continued to give it right back to him. Eventually the Jets would've gotten into the end zone.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The best thing McElroy did which Sanchez has failed to do over and over and over again was protect the ball. I don't know what people were expecting out of a guy who has had almost no reps all season, but he played well given the circumstances against a pretty good defense. He clearly outplayed the other 3rd string QB btw. To boot, the team seemed to rally around him and play better.

Clearly the guy has limitations and I highly doubt he's any type of long term solution, but I think it's only fair to give him a week with all the first team reps and the start against Jax. If he can minimize the turnovers and make some key 3rd down passes he'll be just what the doctor ordered.

3. jack handy

jack handy Member

Of course there is a reason to see if he can play. To not is beyond stupid unless he gets cut tomorrow because otherwise it is a roster spot waste. When did Tebow play a complete: set of downs, possession, quarter, game?

Im fine with giving him the boot once we see what he can accomplish. Don't change the offense and see if he can play. How is greg handing off the ball better then Tebow handing it off but also being able to run himself?

4. Jett

Jett Member

To be honest and fair, Jets intentions with Tebow were nothing more but to steal headlines and sell jerseys and psl. Sorry guys that's what it is. Last time giants won the Super Bowl we got favre. That was another media move. These moves aren't made to make the team better but mainly to be in the spot light.

Tebow isn't a qb we know that and I don't think Sanchez is the answer for our team. I think he might go be successful somewhere else. Now as for Greg, I really do like him, but as said before, the QB wasn't the biggest issue. We are throwing another qb into a fire. If Greg crumbles like most young qbs would in this situation were gonna be right back into where we are now. I want Greg to start in a healthy environment with decent receivers and a good line. I was happy they didn't try to do too much with Greg and they ran the ball effectively. The team seemed to get a jolt of energy and played the same they did back in 09. If this is what it takes to get back to the formula of 09 and treat the offense like its being run by a rookie qb and run the ball more then I'm for it. All though I did and do want the jets to throw a little bit and give Greg a shot and see what he has.

5. kerley11

kerley11 Member

I really feel that Tebow gives the Jets the best chance to win. No matter who they put in at quarterback I have no confidence that they will be able to move the ball through the air. The receivers aren't getting separation and none of the quarterbacks are good enough to elevate their play. Tebow can, by far, add the most to the running game. The threat of him scrambling for a big gainer I think is bigger than McElroy completing a play action pass for a couple of yards or Sanchez doing whatever Sanchez does. Tebow will clearly have his bad throws, but if the Jets are going to win they need to run, run and run some more. I think Tebow is the most conducive for that.

6. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I don't know if the Jets rallied around McElroy as much as they did the stadium exploding like that. That was one of those rare moments where you'd have to be the biggest Jets hater on the planet or a Cardinals fan not to be excited by the atmosphere that the change caused.

That was a tidal wave of emotion. I'll believe it was more about McElroy than the fans if the Jets can carry that on into the away games coming up.

7. kerley11

kerley11 Member

To clarify, I am only saying that Tebow is a short-term solution. I have no confidence in him being a franchise quarterback, but honestly feel that he currently gives the Jets the best chance to win.

8. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

There would be two possible reasons to go with Tebow.

#1 - You think the rest of the year is going to be a bloodbath, and you'd rather have a guy that's probably gone next year anyway absorb the rest of the criticism.

#2 - You think he has the potential to be a long-term answer as a starter.

There are also two reasons to go with McElroy.

#1 - Tebow probably is gone next season, and you want to see whether McElroy can be a suitable backup in the future (or even possibly a long-term answer as a starter, although that's obviously unlikely).

#2 - You don't want to deal with the possibility of Tebow winning and the media mess that would ensue in a season that is, for all intents and purposes, already over.

I don't think it really matters one way or the other to be honest. I think that we're rebuilding and the QB we're going to rebuild around isn't on the roster right now. To me, the important part is that we've taken the step of admitting that Sanchez is not that QB. Who finishes out this season for us is really not going to have any kind of major impact on our rebuilding process.

9. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

For what it's worth, I agree. But we're already pretty much out of playoff contention, and even if by some miracle we snuck in, it's not like we have a shot with this roster. Is it really worth dealing with the Tebow media and running a revised Tebow-centric system in a sunk season, for a QB that you have no confidence can be a franchise QB, just to give yourselves a (hypothetically) slightly better chance at winning?

I don't really know the answer to those questions, but my point is that it doesn't really matter to me one way or the other.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think there is zero chance outside injury the Jets go with Tebow. I also think it's no coincidence they waited until Tebow was inactive to pull Sanchez. The Jets had Tebow penciled in at QB #3 all season and just wanted to use him like Brad Smith.

11. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Macsanity!

12. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

My bet is they go back to Sanchez. Whether that's the right thing to do or not is a comletely different discussion but I think that is what happens.

Just realized this is "should" and not "will" start. Then I would say McElroy...already voted Sanchez though. Damn.

13. NewEnglandJet

NewEnglandJet Banned

Tebow will be the starter next season. It's inevitable.

14. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

15. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

Wouldn't be surprised if this were true.

There are two possibilities.

One is that Ryan had no intentions of pulling Sanchez against the Patriots, and so he didn't care about leaving Tebow active with the rib injury, figuring he could be available if absolutely necessary for short yardage situations. After that game, though, he decided he would bench Sanchez if he stunk the joint up against Arizona, and since Tebow couldn't really throw with broken ribs, he activated McElroy.

The other is basically what you said.

Wouldn't be surprised either way. Hard to say since we don't really know the situation with his ribs. If it's #2, I'm fine with that. If it's #1, we're retarded for using our back-up QB as a punt protector / fullback.