The Heresy of trading Revis.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 1968jetsfan, Nov 28, 2012.

?

What do you think Revis could bring in trade?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2013.
  1. Top 10

36.8%
  2. Top 20

34.2%
  3. Top 32

10.5%
  4. 2nd rounder

2.6%
  5. 2nd rounder with Conditional

7.9%
  6. 3rd rounder with Conditional

2.6%
  7. Other

5.3%
  1. GreenMatt14

GreenMatt14 Member

Give me ben tate and a first rounder...

I have experience in fantasy leagues, so my credentials regarding my trade proposition are as strong as any.

2. IWillPeeGreen

IWillPeeGreen Member

for the same money Revis will be asking soon, its best to pay for a dominant D-Lineman or pass rusher. Somewhere closer to the trenches. The elite offenses have multiple weapons, at least two great receivers and a tight end. If the plan is to win a championship, or hell even beat the Patriots, its not by investing in cornerbacks.

3. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Trading Revis might help pickwise but would cost something like $12 million on our 2013 cap. This whole thread is a waste because no one seems to have a clue about the cap.

Shit if he leaves the jets take a $9 million hit in 2014. The Revis deal was a stupid and desperate move by that asshole Tammy and were paying the price now.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's no way out on this one. The question is whether the Jets take the 12 million hit for trading him next season or live with him on the roster at a 9 million hit and then get slammed with an additional 9 million hit immediately upon his contract voiding at the end of 2013.

It's poison either way. The only way to avoid a big hit on the cap is to re-sign him before the years void at which point his cap hit for the Jets will certainly be north of 12 million a year.

5. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Actually you may want to bone up on that a little bit, Cutting a player and trading a player have different cap implications. But yes the Jets would take a cap hit about equal to what his cap number would be in keep him for 2013. But then again the move isn't to save cap space, or wouldn't be, it would only be if a contract couldn't be reached and to insure the Jets got something for him if he left. The plus side of it is though if the Jets did trade him in 2013 they would have a lot of space off their books in 2014.

Pretty simple, of course if the Jets and Revis reach a new contract agreement in the offseason this whole discussion becomes totally moot as the only reason it would even be considered is if the Jets were convinced Revis was leaving after 2013...which I personally think is about 80% likely if the two sides don't reach an agreement this offseason.
    Cap nuimbers haven't been forgotten ;)

6. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

If you find the team that is willing to trade a no.1 and a no. 2 for Revis coming off an acl surgery let me know. Otherwise the NYJ should sign him or let him play.

7. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Yes, because this season has gone so well without Revis & Holmes. Might as well make that change permanent! :rofl:

8. Moonshine

Moonshine New Member

A HIGH first. Top 12...

And a second.

Anything less, no.

That was probably my shortest and simplest post in my short, minus "fuck you".

9. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

I think posters are undervaluing Revis if any sort of bidding happens. I could see multiple firsts come in or something like that.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Nobody is giving multiple firsts for Revis coming off a knee and without being able to ensure his presence with them after 2013. It's just not happening.

The good teams, whose draft picks might make the value worthwhile to them are smart enough not to go sign a CB to a huge contract. The bad teams won't be able to get Revis to agree to stay with them.

Second round pick next year, conditional picks the year after depending on whether the team was able to persuade Revis to stay. That clause would have to include the team signing Revis at any time in 2014 to avoid a Vilma situation with the player going free agent with a hidden agreementi n place to return.

11. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

If Revis had a more friendly contract then I'd agree with you. Remember this though, if you acquire Revis you will get him under contract for only one season. Then he's gonna go FA & he's not cutting anybody a hometown discount.

Revis is basically a 1-year rental. Not too many GM wanna give up high picks for that. There's also a very good chance that Revis walks away from the Jets also. He's not giving Tanny/Rex any discounts when it comes to contract negotiation either.

12. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

While I agree, a true stud game-changing pass rusher comes damn close if they're really good. Reggie White, in his prime, was worth more than most QBs I would argue. However, how many Reggie Whites are there?

13. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Revis is a hall of famer. You don't trade guys like that unless you KNOW you will get something better back. If there was an Andrew Luck out there this year and Revis could get us him then yes but in almost any other scenario I would say no. I don't trust our front office to draft good players so getting a boat load of picks wont sway me either.

Imagine we trade him for two first rounders that end up being Kyle wilson and and Vernon Gholston. This is the jets we are talking about so it could happen.

In my opinion I sign Revis to a long term deal this offseason. We know all he cares about is money. Pay him and let him retire as the greatest Jet to ever wear the uniform. We have no problems paying Sanchez 10 mill a year or bart scott and calvin pace in the 5-7 range but we wont pay 15 to revis? If we have cap issues it will not be because of the money spent on our best player but the money we spent on all the underachievers on this team.

Plus he's a cornerback and their shelf life is longer than most positions.In today's NFl having an asset like revis is huge. Lets not trade him for some draft picks that may or may not pan out.

14. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Revis is a baller. I hope he is a member of the Jets for a longg longg time.

Holmes injured his foot, fell to the ground holding his knee and in the process threw the ball to the other team; while untouched :rofl:

my captain, please reward him with honors and loads of cash :up:

15. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

There's a difference between cutting and trading a guy but it doesn't matter here and i didnt bring it up. Trading Revis would create a $12 million hit in 2013 and would make our already shaky cap situation $3 million worse.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

16. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Agreed. You don't trade a proven HOF player for question marks unless he really is at the end of his career. But he's in his prime.

17. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

id trade him for picks. even if he comes back 100% healthy, we arent going to compete anytime soon. better to get younger and multiple picks to help rebuild this team

18. Barcs

Barcs Banned

He ain't the sharpest tool in the shed, but when he's on the field he opens up our other receivers and gives our QB a consistent go-to guy. He makes the team a LOT better.

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Everyone talking about how great Revis is are completely missing the point IMO. We all know he's a HOF player. We all get that we almost certainly won't get the same quality player back in the draft.

20. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We were 2-1 before Revis got hurt and that was the last time we had a winning record the entire ,Not just his skills were missed his leadership was as well ,Revis is a big part of this teams identity