Who should start next week?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Bannon, Dec 2, 2012.

?

If you were Rex, who would you start next week?

1. Mark Sanchez

39 vote(s)
    13.5%
  2. Tim Tebow

39 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. Greg McElroy

210 vote(s)
    72.9%
  1. Ted

Ted Member

Just remember that the back up is every fans favorite player in tough times.

2. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

You didn't hear? McElroy's a winner. All he does is win games. :smile:

3. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

the backup is every fans favorite when the starter has more turnovers then anyone in football the past 2 seasons

4. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

lol, bench suckchez right away if he throws a pick on the first play of the game again! In all seriousness, Mcelroy needs to start the game next week. If for no other reason than to really let it sink in to suckchez that the coddling is over and he needs to produce, if he wants to be a starter in the NFL. Let him clear his head and watch from the sideline a bit and see he can get his mind right. You cannot win with a QB throwing interceptions left and right, he looks totally lost out there.

I think suckchez has the physical ability to be a very good starter in the league but he does not have the mental make-up or mental ability at this time. Is that something that can still improve 4yrs into his career? this is the major question. If not, then he is basically David Carr/Brady Quinn and can bounce around the league as a back-up/reclamation project

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

yes it sure is great for jet fans that we are 5-7 and now have doubts about our future QB! we have the dumbest fanbase in sports.

6. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

So it would have been better to leave Sanchez in and be 4-8 and still have doubts about the QB of the future?

7. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

we had doubts about our qb for the past several years. we have finally taken a step in the right direction, identified the problem and can move on to solving it.

continuing another season with sanchez would have set the rebuild/search for a qb back another season. we are in a bad situation either way, im glad we are moving in a positive direction now though

8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Not so much if the backup goes in and craps the bed. Which did not happen.

Not so much if the "tough times" are NOT the fault of the starting Qb, as so many of the things going into those tough times now are in fact the fault of hte starting Qb.

But where the starting Qb sucks and the backup gets it done, why shouldn't the fans root for the one who gets it done?

9. nyjunc

Where did I say that?

one of our worst posters said it was a great day for Jet fans, it wasn't. The best thing for Jet fans is for Sanchez to be a good starting QB which he is not right now. if Sanchez is done it means we have to invest in a new starting QB, that's not good for us.

10. Big Blocker

The SNY Post Game show made the point that the players on the Jets now have seen that if you don't get it done, you may lose your starting position. Too many Jet players, like Greene, seem to be in need of getting this simple message.

The game has changed.

11. nyjunc

that's awsome but he was never under .500 in his career and may not be this year, he was our starter when we were a game away from the SB in 2 different years. Jet fans want Tom Brady, those guys don't come around often. We have/had a guy we could win big w/. That's all we should care about.

12. Big Blocker

Frankly I don't Know why anyone bothers responding to junc. He's nearly always wrong.

13. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

McElroy. I see no controversy here if you take away idiotic decisions made in 2009 and Spring 2012.

14. jack handy

jack handy Member

not figuring out what you have in Tebow is stupid. don't go with he looks bad in practice because Sanchez looks great in practice but sucks during the game.

what is your reasoning for not trying Tebow - Greg's 29 yards and 2 good drives? Tebow beat us last year and won a playoff game. If Greg sucks it up next game are you gioing to start the excuse machine (he is a rookie, the ol let him down, the wrs are the problem)

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Blocker, it wasn't a great day for Jet fans. It could be argued that it was the worst win in NYJ history. That game was pathetic. Lindley doesn't belong in this league..

I know you've been advocating for Mac, but I'd slow down a bit.

McElroy coming in energized the fans but its not as if he exactly "won" the game. Having a QB on the other side who couldn't complete anything outside of a swing pass, won the Jets the game. Arizona had 5 first downs total and was 0-15 on third down! Completely inept!

McElroy didn't really HAVE to do a whole lot to win the game. I'll give him credit for doing what a backup QB is supposed to do, stepping in and keeping calm in relief, not turning the ball over, but I'm still not getting overly excited about the win or his prospects with the Jets - outside of being their career backup QB.

McElroy didn't really show anything to be excited about. Once upon a time we had Kellen Clemens come off the bench and play well and people got excited, and we know how that turned out. I refuse to get excited about McElroy's future just because he's not Sanchez and he's not Tebow.

I'm not saying Rex shouldn't start McElroy, it wouldn't be a bad idea to see what he can do considering this season is largely a wash now but I'm not crossing my fingers that we have our franchise QB. I also wouldn't be angry if Rex tosses Sanchez back in next week, while keeping a short leash with him.

16. Big Blocker

Denver beat the Jets. It's a team sport.

We have already seen the Jets use Tebow, and he has produced nothing.

Also, starting Tebow would require that the O be totally revamped. THis is no small matter. Why should the Jets revamp their whole O just to suit Tebow's game?

McElroy can play this O without any real changes. It is suited to him. That being the case, what is the reason to go with Tebow?

Ftr I think Tebow will be gone this off season. There's no reason to see what he can do.

17. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

I agree with this for the most part....but if Sanchez doesnt get benched the Jets most likely lose. The team and fanbase both needed that jolt.

You cant expect folks to come to the stadium with the prices they pay and watch a guy making too much money just go through the motions on the field. Sanchez is done. It didnt work out...time to move on.

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This is the post i was waiting for....he threw for 29 yards!!

Our fans are so anti Mark and rightly so, that the facts are ignored just because we don't want to see MS on the field anymore.

This should be the final nail of MT coffin and he should be fired for the circus that he has put on the field.

Granted we don't have Holmes on the field, but he still would have helped with a healthy Keller and Bilal Powell getting more playing time.

Our issues start from the top and that is the first thing Woody needs to address, get a good football guy as your GM and maybe he can fix this mess without having to blow it up and start from scratch.

So start whoever you want next week, its not going to change anything.

19. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Mark didn't have to do a lot to win either...

I don't think anyone expects a 6th round pick to be the franchise QB, but he may be a kid we can use for a year or two while we "don't" rebuild. He can also prove himself a solid BU qb, another issue we don't have to address this off season.
    For this year, there is nothing to lose by starting Greg. He may not be the answer, but he's no longer a question mark.

20. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I'm voting Run GmC or Brooks Bollinger II.

I don't believe bringing Sanchez back will somehow redeem his trade value and further it sends the wrong message to the team. It basically turns the benching into a stunt.