Who should start next week?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Bannon, Dec 2, 2012.

?

If you were Rex, who would you start next week?

1. Mark Sanchez

39 vote(s)
    13.5%
  2. Tim Tebow

39 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. Greg McElroy

210 vote(s)
    72.9%
  1. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

mcelroy jerseys just popped up on nflshop

first clue that he is gonna be the starter

2. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

tebow by far has the best arm but who cares when he has no accuracy

jamarcus russell might have had the strongest arm ever and he still sucked

3. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Rex has to let McElroy start. Sanchez has proven incapable of
    curtailing the egregious turnovers that cost us opportunities to
    win. We're much better off letting McElroy manage the game;
    and let our defense and running game do their thing.

4. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Think it could have simply been a case of Rex saying "Enough is enough, put the next guy in" after Sanchez had already thrown 3 interceptions in the first half, and then nearly had 2 passes picked off in his first 3 drives of the second half.

Unlike some other games, you could pretty much pin everything on Sanchez right up until he got yanked.

Also, you had the outside shot that if we just won this game first, then all the rest, we could possibly still make the playoffs. Therefore, this was the time to go all in and do whatever he had to do to win.

If Tebow had been healthy and active this week, Rex would have sent him in.

5. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Tebow gives the team the best chance to win.

6. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

It doesn't matter who starts anymore. All that matters is the era of Sanchez is officially over.

Sanchez is awful. McElroy is a 7th round pick who, assuming he is like every other quarterback drafted in the 7th round for the past 20 years, will never win a playoff game in the NFL. And Tebow is clearly dead to this organization. He was medically cleared to play today. It was a coach's decision to deactivate him. There's no chance Tebow is on the roster next year.

All three options suck. But at least that debate is finally over (GangGreen groupthink notwithstanding). We'll find a new quarterback this offseason, or possibly sacrifice 2013 and draft someone in '14 when the QB options should be a bit more enticing.

Oh, and I guess if I have to answer, I'd go with Tebow. Starting the rest of the season for this team is going to be a nightmare. We stink and whoever limps across the finish line is going to look horrible doing it, because our offense is broken. So since Tebow is going to be gone next year anyway, it might as well be him. If he somehow manages to squeeze out some wins, great -- maybe it helps his trade value.

#146 NYJets82, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  7. I Am The Stig

I Am The Stig Active Member

When he's taking 10% of the snaps.

8. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

1. McElroy
    2. Tebow

Inactive:Sanchez

9. Barcs

Barcs Banned

McElroy seems like he could be a decent game manager, although the run game was what won us this game. The benching could motivate Sanchez to step up his game. He needed that benching. At least the Jaguars are next, so we don't have to stress too hard about it. Try Sanchez for a drive and if it doesn't work send in McElroy.

10. I Am The Stig

I mentioned this in another thread but I noticed McElroy was communicating better with his line than Sanchez did. I would like to believe that helped a lot in the blocking scheme.

11. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

We're fucked, and here's why ...
    If we were eliminated from contention, by all means start McElroy.
    The problem is, we still technically have a shot at the postseason so it makes no sense to aim at a goal, if accomplishing that goal only sets you up for failure.

By that I mean this -- If our goal is to win four straight and get the sixth seed, and you do that by playing McElroy, then what?? If you just won four straight with him, you have to use him for the postseason. But the fact is, Sanchez is our best postseason option. As bad as he is ... and he's as bad as it gets ... at least he has some postseason experience ... and good postseason experience at that. Even Tebow has some good postseason experience.

If McElroy had started 10 or 11 games it would be a different situation, but its completely ridicuous to let him start 4 games against the shittiest teams in the league,, hope we squeak in and then say "ok Kid ... nice job. Now go to Baltimore and beat the Ravens or Go to New England and out-duel Brady".
    What's the point?

The sad reality is we're married to Sanchez for now, so all we can do is start him and hope for the best. There's no point putting someone in the cockpit, if he's never learned to land the plane. Start Sanchez, but feel free to yank him again if he continues to throw passes to the other team.

12. Moonshine

Moonshine New Member

If it does, we're goin to the same asylum.

Look... the only reason I voted Sanchez:

Remember last year when they played it up like they were gonna pull him for Brunell, he played the game of his life. I say put him in there, but make it completely clear the first interception, the first missed TD, the first fuckup period he's done.

But in a way I disagree with myself.

Because even if he does have one great game in response to being benched or almost being benched, it's still a pattern of behavior.

He'll always eventually suck.

Shit, I can't change my vote.

But Tebow and McElroy ain't really shit either. MV7 2013.

13. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I don't know. McElroy seems to be a pretty quick learner. He also had experience winning meaningful post season games in college (yes I know, different animal but still).

He is the reason we won today. I think we can start him next week against Jacksonville and expect something similar. It's time to do what is needed to win and not coddle bad QBs.

14. I Am The Stig

I think McElroy actually knows the playbook more than some people give him credit for. Keep in mind that he's coming from a program like Alabama so I wouldn't be surprised if he knew that playbook a week after he got it.

15. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Knowing the playbook isn't McElroy's problem. His problem is he has the weakest arm in the NFL. He makes Pennington look like Favre.

16. Moonshine

Moonshine New Member

The real existential question here is: what the fuck are we playing for. If you think playoffs, think again. We're not running the table, and even if we did, in all likelihood it still wouldn't be enough. Colts and Steelers are not falling from grace.

Truthfully, I find it hard to believe that any of these three are going to be starting QBs for the Jets next year. I do not think we're in a Philly/KC situation were we're giving a young QB a tryout for next year's starter with our miserable season. So I guess this is a tryout for backup QB. What a year.

Regarding QBs here's the questions I would be asking:

Is it worth it to keep Mark on the roster as a backup, and how would he respond to it. If we pick up an injury prone MV7 (Which in my estimation is the way to go) or draft Tyler Wilson/Tyler Bray/Landry Jones/Matt Barkley (talk about the year of the C student, there isn't one there I really don't want, but there's none I really do want) it would be worth it to keep a backup in case they bomb.

If it isn't worth keeping Mark as a backup, then is McElroy really, really, really a capable two. To come in and win full games if he needs to.

If not, and we don't bring in Vick, we still have to bring in a vet. David Garrard comes to mind. Even... don't say it... don't say it.... Vince Young. Guy can win games.

And then Tebow... The question, I've been asking all along. Wtf? What the fuck? What the fuck is Tebow here for?

Answers?

17. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

McElroy didn't dominate or this wouldn't be a discussion. But he didn't turn the ball over and managed the game well. That is an upgrade over Sanchez. I would start McElroy, he has earned at least one start this year.

On the contrary, this was the worst Sanchez performance of the season against a crappy Cardinals team. Sam Bradford played well against this D last week. The crowd was anti Sanchez. It was going to happen today.

18. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

The guy is a Rhodes scholar, I don't think learning the playbook will be a problem. I'd be willing to wager he knows it better then Sanchez and we won't be seeing any ass-fumbles from him.

19. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Exactly. Everyone wants to talk about Tebow's intangibles well Greg has them all too. I'd be very confident in him becoming a good QB if he had a better arm. He knows how to play the position and is tough as nails but he needs to find a way to get over his physical limitations.

20. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Go with Greg Mack...
    IMHO, It really doesn't matter because our O Issues run deeper than the QB.

Injuries, Dropped passes, wrong routes, lack of separation, O-Line issues...

and Ironically, the O-line was half decent today...