Who should start next week?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Bannon, Dec 2, 2012.

?

If you were Rex, who would you start next week?

1. Mark Sanchez

39 vote(s)
    13.5%
  2. Tim Tebow

39 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. Greg McElroy

210 vote(s)
    72.9%
  1. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Of course, but the point is that if a QB has something good about their arm or does something well with their arm (in this example, Chad Pennington was one of the most accurate NFL QB's ever, yet that didn't mean he's good because other factors, in this case arm strength, show otherwise).

2. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Oh, I thought you were repeating that meme that Tebow wasn't "really" the #2. As long as you agree he was the #2, that's my point. Just that he's got just as much claim as anybody, McElroy included. You don't just go "oh, well, we have to start McElroy now, because he was the one that came in."

3. Mr. Green Pants

Start McElroy, run the regular wildcat package with Tebow when it's appropriate. Simple as that. There's no other choice, in my opinion. Tebow can't run a conventional offense, probably doesn't have a future as an NFL quarterback or a Jet, and Sanchez is just shot. Time to see what we've got in McElroy.

4. k311

k311 Member

Now YOU'RE the crazy one.

5. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

As the kids used to say....tough titties.

6. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Yeah, it's a tough league, and no favors done.

I just mean it's in the best interest of the franchise to play Tebow.

But I understand -- it's your judgment that Greg McElroy should be the starting QB of the team.

7. NYJet87

NYJet87 Active Member

Well clearly, look no further than your avatar to ask where your allegiance lies. You're biased as hell in this debate.

You can almost make the case for any of the three hideous QBs on the roster to start, though I'd say see what McElroy can do with a full week of game prep as the starter. Who knows. Going back a few posts from you, Tebow has the best arm of the team? Are you high? That's just ignorant. Unless of course you're just trying to say that he can throw the ball the furthest, which is the most retarded, overrated stat you can make (Did you hear Jamarcus Russell can throw a ball 70+ yards from the seat of his pants?!?!?).

If there is one thing and one thing only that the Jets learned from today, it's this: In all likelihood, McElroy will not be the answer. Sanchez is CLEARLY not the answer going forward, and Tebow will not be a Jet by the time camp starts next year. The Jets are going to either go the free agent route for a QB or struggle at the position for a little while longer, because the draft doesn't look like it has an immediate answer either.

8. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

It's your opinion that it's in the best interest of the team to start Tebow.
    According to this poll, your opinion is incorrect.

9. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Also, I would argue that it made no sense to put McElroy at the #2 at the time (would've forced the Jets to have 3 active QBs, would've prevented the Jets from using Tebow on ST, etc)

And yes, I agree with your post.

10. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Yeah, a lot of fans don't realize this. It's one of the reasons the league can't get away from its fascination with Tebow as a project -- all that physical ability, intangibles, and a great arm. They have ways of measuring ball velocity and Tebow's got it.

His ball speed is better than Sanchez's and McElroy's. But I'm not surprised you weren't aware of that. A lot of people aren't.

11. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Well, Rex addressed that. He said Tebow was the #2 in every sense, and would take over if Sanchez's season were to end due to injury.

12. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Absolute Last Chance for Sanchez

#72 HackettSuxTNG, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

That is where we disagree. Pennington would be the perfect QB for this team right now (pre-injuries of course). He wasn't very good at pulling out big come from behind games, but with this team that wouldn't be the case much. he wouldn't turn it over and would manage the game excellently. That is exactly what the Jets need. He was actually a very good QB, whose shoulder injuries cut his career short.
    Can McElroy be that guy? I'm not sure but i'd give him a shot. He's less talented than Pennington, but smart and has a history of effectively game managing.

14. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I'm gonna use my analogy for examples here

If a player (Smith) gets outperformed by a backup (Kaepernick) due to an injury (Smith) then the backup (Kaepernick) should be playing or in our situation moving up in the depth chart. The injured player is not producing. Now of course this doesn't apply to stars or sure thing starters like a Manning or a Brady.

15. Toon88

Toon88 New Member

Tebow was #3 on the depth chart last year before coming in for Kyle Orton and Quinn never got a shot at starting. So I think he will understand McElroy getting the start over him.

16. metjetfan710

metjetfan710 New Member

Tebow isn't going to start, while it should have happened weeks ago, it's not even worth mentioning at this point. Mac Daddy outplayed Sanchez and should be given another shot until he shows he is incompetent as an NFL QB. There is absolutely no reason you start Sanchez unless McElroy somehow starts playing worse than Mark has all season.

17. MoWilkShakes

MoWilkShakes Active Member

they should start alex smith next week.

18. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I don't think it's at their best interest. The media going crazy, the possibility Tebow struggles, etc, it wouldn't in their best interest. It wasn't in their best interest to make the trade in the first place so who knows

19. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Agreed.

I learned a long time ago not to rely on fan polls. The vast majority of polls about Tebow starting, he has won. Then people just chalk it up to crazy fans. But I understand, you consider the fan poll result as a valid piece of evidence for what is in the best interest of the team. Agree to disagree.

20. Bannon

Bannon New Member

But he's a great player. He could be the future, with a chance to get full time reps. No reason to overlook him.