The Heresy of trading Revis.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 1968jetsfan, Nov 28, 2012.

?

What do you think Revis could bring in trade?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2013.
  1. Top 10

36.8%
  2. Top 20

34.2%
  3. Top 32

10.5%
  4. 2nd rounder

2.6%
  5. 2nd rounder with Conditional

7.9%
  6. 3rd rounder with Conditional

2.6%
  7. Other

5.3%
  1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

BP once had 4 #1 draft picks & the only one that panned out in any way of the 4 the was the Chadster :sad:

2. CJGreen

CJGreen Member

Trade Revis

Revis to carolina....they need him and they should be picking early in the draft. He would also be relocated to the NFC so we wouldn't have to worry about him biting us in the a$$ later.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Oh, and John Abraham and Shaun Ellis were chopped liver?

That draft set up the success the Jets had from 2001 to 2004. Without Ellis the Jets don't make their second AFC championship game under Rex in 2010.

That's probably the best draft in Jets history right there.

4. A1 Jet Fuel

A1 Jet Fuel New Member

I doubt that you'll get two 1st rounders for Revis. Not only is there the ACL issue which teams are going to be wary of, but he's been difficult to deal with from a contract standpoint.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think they could get a 1st and a conditional 2nd that turns into a first at the very least. For a team that thinks they're an elite CB away from a superbowl you could get a good price.

6. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

...OR MUCH MORE likely is that those 2 phantom first rounders turn out to suck or be mediocre at best and - if you're the GM that decided to trade the greatest DB of his generation, you get immediately fired and you are the laughingstock of the NFL for decades and go down in Jets history as the worst GM in Jets History.

7. Br4d

Revis hasn't changed a game for the Jets since the first game of 2011. That game change was only because Tony Romo is a bad 4th qtr QB under pressure in tight games. Revis hasn't really been a consistent game-changing player since 2009.

It may look to you like losing Revis would be a big deal. The question is: who would the Jets have beaten this year with him that they couldn't without him? Look to last year for the answer to that question. The Jets were getting routinely beaten by good teams with Revis on the field.

#127 Br4d, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

What's worse, trading him for valuable high picks who will have very manageable salaries for 3-4 years or watching him walk to whichever team he wants (Patriots?) a year later with nothing in return?

At least you try to regain some value by trading him. The Jets have to trade either Revis or Cromartie in the 2012 offseason IMO. Choosing Revis would fetch more in a trade and provide more cap relief. Our last 2 first round picks are looking pretty good btw.

9. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Why do you keep assuming that you are going to be trading a guy coming off a season ending injury for "valuable high picks who will have manageable salaries" I don't see that deal being available at all and you don't have a crystal ball. I mean its great to sit there and play make believe GM w/pretend transactions, but the reality is that the Jets aren't trading their best players and other teams are not lining up to offer high draft picks for guys coming off of season ending torn ACL.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Well that's basically the entire premise of the thread. I don't think it's unreasonable either. Like I've already said, I think that Revis is relatively low risk to return to form for several reasons. Obviously I have no crystal ball to say whether it could actually happen though.

11. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Right and what i am saying is that premiss is unrealistic. If you disagree then tell what GM/team is going to be trading us high picks for a guy coming off of major knee surgery w/1 yr left on his contract.

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Some teams I think could potentially be interested:
    Bengals
    Bucs
    Chargers
    Colts
    Falcons
    Giants
    Lions
    Saints
    Steelers

You're talking about a guy who is far and away the best CB in the game when healthy, and IMO a low risk for returning to form. You have to find a GM who is willing to take a little risk and believes a great CB puts them over the top.

13. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Cutting Pace, E smith and Scott already saves us a good chunk of money, plus others. I firmly believe that you draft LBs and don't sign em through FA. Looks like we'll have most of our picks this year again, so we have a chance to draft an impact LB early on. They are out there this year. This draft is better for LBs than QBs. We trade Revis and our defense can't beat elite QBs, it's that simple. When your D is 1 or 2 LBS away from being elite, you don't start to dismantle it and trade the best player. Again, you look to the past and you see what our defense is capable of with Revis. We are top 5 defense with Revis. Without we are in the middle of the pack at best. The only reason we're not noticing the impact on passing D as badly is because of our safety upgrades. With those safety upgrades + Revis + cromartie, our secondary will be near untouchable. Get a great pass rushing OLB to compliment and we'll be right back up near the top.

#133 Barcs, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  14. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

And all the other holes on this team? We might be one good LB away from a great defense, we are more than one good LB away from a great team. On top of that, resigning Revis is going to limit future signings because he is probably gonna demand top money. That doesn't add to the fact that a good pass rush can hide a secondary more so a secondary can hide a bad pass rush. Also add in the rookie wage scale means taking on 1st round contracts aren't that bad anymore. If we can swing 2 1sts, I would want the deal done. That would be a good enough price for me. Even 1 first and some high other picks would be enticing.

If you can get multiple 1sts for Revis, you definitely have to do it.

15. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

On Revis's knee injury, an ACL isn't that big of a deal anymore in terms of recovery. 99% of the time players come back from that just fine, now if it had been the MCL or ACL AND MCL it would be very different.

And there is one team I know of off hand that is looking for secondary help, that does covet high profile players and who's owner often over rides his football people.

Dallas. Jones wouldn't be concerned about offering enough money to extend Revis, he adores star players and he remembers what Neon Dion brought to the team. Not to mention he as a Ryan as his defensive coach who values cornerbacks just like his brother. If there is a team we could get two firsts, or a first and a second, for Revis it would be Dallas, I'd almost Guarentee it. And Dallas would be a better team for it as well. Dallas is also a team that would have a very high probability of being some place Revis would want to play.

Just sayin.

16. Br4d

Dallas is a real possibility. Washington, even minus the picks they traded for RGIII, would find a way into the auction. Tampa Bay. Maybe Seattle. Maybe even Atlanta under the right conditions.

There's going to be a decent deal out there in the NFC somewhere and the likelihood of several teams being involved increases the chances Revis will find a good fit in terms of extending his deal after the trade.

17. DuhesSeaOfMud

DuhesSeaOfMud Member

Considering health issue plus contract situation, I don't think any team would give up more than a first OR two 2nds. Bidding might even top at at one 2nd. These scenarios of turning Revis into two 1sts and 4 2nds are awesome.

18. 1968jetsfan

Never under estimate Dallas in that regard. the highest value I see the bidding going is either a first and 2nd in 2013 or a first in 2013 and a conditional first in 2014.

19. 1968jetsfan

I should rephrase that, the absolute highest deal I could see is a 2013 first and second, and a special 2014 arrangement on picks.
    If Revis resigns with the trading team then we get their 2014 2nd round pick. If Revis exits due to free agency then they either get our 2014 first pick or second pick. If Revis plays less than 50% of defensive snaps they get our 2014 first and if he plays more than 50% of the defensive snaps then they get our 2014 second.

20. 1968jetsfan

and obviously if you don't get at least a first and second you don't trade him. It's only a trade if A) you don't think you can keep him after 2013 season and B) you get enough value to make it worth trading him before the 2013 draft.

I mean clearly if you truly believe you can keep Revis beyond the 2013 season you don't trade him. But you have to ask, A) can we afford him and B) does he really want to stay with the Jets? the first part we can kind of estimate, the latter you really would have to talk to Revis to get a feel if he really wants to stay a Jet or head towards "greener" pastures where he's more likely to get a ring.