QB Options Not On Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #1 Jets Fan, Oct 29, 2012.

1. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Agreed 100%!

2. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Why would they pass when they have such a great running game and defense? Your argument makes no sense. Of course the Niners aren't going to pass much. And if you read my post, nowhere did I say he was the future of any team. He's a good stop gap because he doesn't make mistakes (inarguable) with a good defense and good running game. If you also read my post, I said he would only be a good fit if we can get the defense back to an elite (Niners) level.

If you want to say he's an average QB, fine, but bad QBs don't put up the #s he has, period, end of story. How do you argue 30 TD and 10 INT? Argue 70% completion and 60% last 4 years? He's the anti-Sanchez. Not a world beater by any means, but calling him a bad QB is just inaccurate.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

They don't pass much and they just replaced him with the guy they drafted two years ago despite Smith having good stats and the 49ers winning games.

Doesn't all of that tell you something about Alex Smith that suggests he would be bad for the Jets?

4. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Going after Alex Smith would be a mistake by the Jets.

The guy is mediocre at best. There's a reason Harbaugh is putting his team in the hands of a raw 2nd year QB over him. There's a reason the 49ers pressed to get manning (Even though harbaugh claimed he wasn't after Manning when he didn't get him and needed Smith back).

5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Rex Grossman would be an upgrade at this point, Just about anybody could do what Sanchez is doing for us, besides running into Butt Cheeks

6. _Jet_

_Jet_ Member

Sanchez has the potential to be one of the best QBs in the league. The problem is our coaching staff. Neither Tony Sparano, Brian Schottenheimer, nor Matt Cavanaugh has a very good record of developing young QBs. If Matt were not Rex's guy, he should have been fired last season.
    Rex is a defensive guru. He needs a high profile offensive mind to help. Save a penny on OC/QB coach, lose a dollar for the franchise. If wiki is right, Sparano's contract is 3 years/500k. Is that for real?

7. jets4lyfah

jets4lyfah Banned

finally we agree on something. smith is a scrub

8. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Sanchez has not shown that potential to be one of the best. YOu are right about none of the coaches having shown good stuff, but some of that falls on Sanchez. We didn't get a guy in Sanchez who could become great on his own and then we didn't surround and keep enough pieces around him to make up for this

9. PJ4Ever

No, it literally tells me nothing. Colin Kaepernick has the upside to be a Top 10 QB and is CLEARLY more talented than Alex Smith. The dude can run, has a great arm and seems to be fairly accurate. Smith is around the 16th-20th best QB in the league - he's average. Average is better than Mark Sanchez, and that's all I'm saying - he's be a good 1-3 year stopgap while we develop someone else.

And again, no mention of the stats. All I'm saying is that Alex Smith is not a bad QB - again, even in the 2 years before Harbaugh without much talent around him, he put up a solid 32 TD and 22 INT.

10. PJ4Ever

I don't want to build around Alex Smith, lol, I'm just saying he'd be good competition for Mark next year and would be a fine starter for a year or two as we develop someone that we draft.

11. lakersmetsjets49ers

I like Alex smith, but anyone who expects him to be the long term answer is crazy. If the 49ers cut him, he'd be good to bring in as someone to compete with Sanchez for the starting job and could possibly win it but other teams would probably be willing to sign him as a starter. At best he would be a transitional qb.

He was weapons on the 49ers and even with those weapons he's primarily throwing the ball to Vernon Davis. The jets don't have the receivers the 49ers have. He doesn't turn the ball over much which is a plus but like Sanchez he can only take you so far. Yes Kyle Williams fucked up with those special teams plays in the NFC title game but Alex went 1 for 10 on 3rd down, and only completed 15 yards passing or so the entire game to guys not named Vernon Davis

Aside from that, before harbaugh took over he was mediocre with crappy coaching, singletary and mike Nolan and with crap offensive coordinators every year like jimmy raye. He reminds me of Sanchez in the extent that he was developed poorly.

That said hes a potential short term option but nothing more.

12. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I say since there are no obvious upgrades at QB we spend whatever little $ we can upgrading the offensive weapons around Sanchez and try and help him be successful.
    It's reality that due to the 8 or so million he's guaranteed, he's going to be our QB, so lets give him every opportunity to have a productive 2013.

13. jets4lyfah

jets4lyfah Banned

LOL Mark ain't sweating no rube like Alex Smith. them two walk into a club, the females know which one is the alpha

14. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

And on the football field the players and coaches would surround Smith like the Alpha. Mark can have all the tail he'd like as long as he's on the sidelines come Sunday.

Plus, I'd highly doubt Smith would be at an 18 and under club.

15. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Nobody has listed Alex Smith as a long-term solution. Why are there so many posts against an argument which hasn't even been brought up?

Agree with your points. I'm also viewing Alex Smith as an average or slightly below average QB & that's a huge improvement over what the Jets have right now. Sanchez to Smith would be something like moving from WFH to Turner over @ RT. Turner isn't really good player but he's up there as team MVP for improving the RT position from laughable garbage to average.

Smith could hold down the QB position while Jets look to draft or acquire someone better. When Harbaugh came in, he won with Smith but always kept his eyes open on upgrading (as evidenced by the QB change). That's the same type of role I'd imagine Alex Smith providing here. Don't suck badly enough to throw games away (like Sanchez does) and then get benched once a more desirable option is available.

===
    Despite the advantage Smith provides, I am not in favor of trading picks for Alex Smith.
    Jets are starting average to slightly below average players @ the following positions: RT, RG, LG, TE#2, RB#1, RB#2, FB, WR#3, the entire LB core (4 players), CB#3.

In addition they've got two safeties that are very old & one has extensive injury history. TE#1 (Keller) isn't that good but I think he'd do well as a secondary TE.

Once next season starts:
    - DeMario Davis will take one of the LB spots (1/4 positions is solved).
    - Hill is a sophmore & Holmes returns (WR#3 is solved).

Jets need to draft talent badly. They're already committed to starting so many average/barely-belong-in-NFL players. Considering the safeties age/injury history, those positions can also be filled in by low quality players next season.

===
    Sanchez salary is only guaranteed for one more season so just ride it out (as a starter or bench player). With such a low quality of talent in the starting lineups, is it really that surprising special teams had been a dud this season? Reduce the quantity of bottom tier talent in starting lineups is the biggest need for Jets.

16. displacedfan

Alex Smith would be terrible. We have no Vernon Davis, we have no Frank Gore, we don't have that OL and we don't have that defense. Telling Alex Smith to play really good and carry a team will lead to what we saw this season and last season

17. NYJetsMetsCTHuskies

NYJetsMetsCTHuskies Active Member

Sanchez is a joke and how people can still support him is beyond me. You run out of excuses so you say... we have to keep Sanchez because we have no other option.

Absolutely no other option?

I'm sick of that screw-up. If you see a winner in Sanchez then you should never in your life be put in a position to make a critical decision.

To say anyone... ANYONE (any starter... 2nd string... 3rd string QB... Alex Smith... Tim Tebow) are not viable options over Sanchez is insane. Sanchez has not shown that he can be mature, high football IQ/intelligent, learn from mistakes, be a strong leader. You can have all the potential in the world but never make it as a winner without those key qualities. This goes for all businesses, not just football.

18. displacedfan

Well what's our other option? Nothing exciting in the draft and numerous other holes including QB plus a QB we can't cut or trade. He's here next year and if we don't make any QB related moves, probably starting. That's reasoning, not supporting him.

He's here next year no matter what. It sucks, but it is what it is. Might as well live with that and build the rest of the team

19. NYJetsMetsCTHuskies

NYJetsMetsCTHuskies Active Member

Every QB in the draft is a option (round 1 to the un-drafted), free agents, potential trades. I'm not saying they will all be better but they are options so you explore. There are only no options if you don't look. If you can't find a better QB then the shit Sanchez we have then you're not looking. Analyze what we have and decide... not let your emotions and ego decide. That's the problem with the Jets.

20. RevisIsland10

RevisIsland10 Member

If it came down to vick or smith I would take vick for sure.

But unfortunately (thanks to tanny) our starting qb will be sanchez next season due to his contract.