Sanchez just sucks... just sucks. (all Sanchez complaints here)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sweet P, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If you play a 7th round QB over a 1st round QB in any scenario but an injury you are damaging your credibility. That's just what it is.

If McElroy was going to be a big time NFL QB he'd likely have been drafted by the early 2nd round. In the absence of that he really needs to impress in camp/practice in a way that makes it clear that he is deserving of a shot. The opportunities to do that are very limited after the first camp and McElroy got screwed by the lockout so he did not get a chance to show his goods during the off-season.

It isn't reasonable to suggest benching Sanchez for McElroy. It might be the right move 5% of the time but no head coach is going to make that move on those odds.

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

that isn't what it is at all. by your logic the Raiders, if their backup was a 7th rounder, would have lost credibility by benching Jamarcus Russel in favor of the 7th round back up. that is ridiculous. you bench a player that isn't performing based on his lack of performance, not the draft standing of his back up. so, it is okay to bench Jamarcus Russel if the back up was drafted in the 3rd round but not the 7th, rather than based on Jamarcus Russell's shittiness? of course not.

3. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

Giving up a 2nd round pick in a thin draft, and three useless players along with, is not going "all in". I'm sure that the team would be in better shape right now if we still had Brett Ratliff. :rolleyes:

4. BrucekilledBoomer

BrucekilledBoomer Active Member

Maybe not...but sure was a significant investment in dollars.

5. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

It isn't as relevant in this context, considering all of players are overpaid, usually by a significant margin compared to their actual production. Tanny's QB will always be overpaid.

In other words, we've gone all in with the majority of our starters and its a major problem for this team.

6. Br4d

This is what happens when you focus the entire player acquisition strategy on assembling a few stars. The payroll becomes top-heavy. If you miss on the people you chose the payroll becomes top-heavy and you don't even get the superior play you thought you were investing in.

This Jets roster is a mess right now.

7. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Sanchez has played poorly but at least he says he is still confident. Glad he is still out there helping the victims of Sandy. Like Tebow said, sometimes it can put you at ease when you put things in perpective . It is just a game that can help you to reach out to people, plain and simple.

8. lakersmetsjets49ers

the issue has never been with sanchez the person to me. i can respect his work ethic, doing things such as the jets west camp on his own time to try and develop team chemistry. if he was an asshole like ryan leaf or jamarcus russell then that's a whole different story. it just seems as if he just doesn't have it and it sucks because i've wanted to see him succeed.

yes he's been poorly developed and mismanaged, and his receivers are at best average, but some of the rediculous picks he's thrown and fumbles he's committed are on him and not a result of crappy receivers or any of that and that's where the frustration lies.

9. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Yeah some of the Sanchez hate was asinine. He seems to be a likable guy that is trying hard to succeed. But even Tebow fans should know this, there is not many people in this world that can be elite QBs that everybody wants on their team. They are rare, and sometimes, you just Max out your potential.

I think Sanchez is like Jake Plummer, he needs fantastic supporting cast for him to succeed. If there is a sub par supporting cast, he will fail miserable, like Plummer did, before he retired because he was disterbed by Pat Tillman`s death God rest his soul.

10. feldspar

feldspar Member

Exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself. Anybody still hanging on to the shred of hope for a repeat of the 2009-2010 seasons needs to see that half the team is gone from those years.

Seriously, the only teams that are able to consistently rebound from that kind of turnover are teams with a top-notch QB, which Sanchez is not.

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I of course am agreeing with you here and not Biggs and Brad. I think they are making too much of the place where McElroy was drafted and ignoring that the simple fact is that Sanchez's performance is unacceptable. We know what Sanchez's ceiling is at this point, and it is far too low. There is literally no point in keeping him in there (subject to the slight exception I will mention below).

Meanwhile we know some things about McElroy. Someone mentioned he looked good against third stringers. That would be a fair criticism if he was playing with the first stringers. He was also playing with third stringers, and he succeeded in putting together the first TD drive of the pre-season. He also looked good in his rookie pre-season before getting injured. He also earned a roster spot in the off season despite the injury, despite his talking about locker room issues. The other big thing is after Stanton insisted on being traded, the Jets did not get anyone else, knowing Tebow is not a real backup to Sanchez.

What am I driving at here? Either McElroy is not as bad as the naysayers here say he is, or his being on the roster is just another indictment of the management of the offensive roster by the FO and CS. As I have mentioned before, Tebow by their own statements (and here I agree with them) was not brought here to be a conventional backup. On the face of it he is not suitable for that role. So that leaves McElroy, or nobody.

So the caveat is that as the super homers here still hold onto since it's all they have left, the Jets are not mathematically out of it. So let's say for argument's sake that Sanchez is the best bet to start at Qb if there's a shot to get to the playoffs.

Fine. Leave him in until there isn't any shot left. Then play McElroy. See how he can do. At that point there's no reason to leave Sanchez in there, and we will all get a chance to see how good or bad McElroy is. Then in the off season we will see if the Jets need only two or in fact three new Qb's on the roster next year.

12. Br4d

McElroy is a 7th round QB. The odds he is anything but a bad NFL QB are very small.

13. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

What round was Brady taken in? Tony Romo? At this point the coaching staff has to do it's due diligence to find out who will be kept at each position when the off season purge begins. Did McElroy win a National Championship in College??? He deserves a chance like every other player on this sorry team. Sanchez earned his benching now it is time for Rex to drop the hammer.

14. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Probably, but you don't know until you try. People who keep making assumptions without seeing these guys in an actual game are silly. He may come out and suck balls, but until he gets a chance then we won't know. He could also come out and light it up.

15. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

You like to cite Eli as an example, but you never seem to mention that Eli is an exceptional case and hardly the norm for QB play/development.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Can we please stop with this McElroy stuff? He's not any good, putting him in with this terrible and disfunctional offense would be destructive to both the team and to his own NFL "career".

The fact that A) Rex basically laughed upon being asked if he would play him and B) Rex didn't even come close to looking his way with very ineffective Sanchez and an already limited backup QB with broken ribs, should tell you enough. The Guy isn't any good.

The grass isn't greener. Mac's getting love, but that's only because he isn't playing. Throwing him out there with this shitty O-line, lack of running game, and practice squad WRs would make things worse. Much worse, even though it doesn't seem possible.

Regardless of how you feel about Sanchez and the Jets QB situation, it doesn't warrant putting in a guy who more than likely doesn't even belong in the NFL. Sanchez sucks I know, but call for a replacement in 2013 - when McElroy will likely be selling cars. Fucking McElroy - that's what this season has come to? good grief.

17. FriendlyGiantsFan

Junc is touching on the idea that the Giants' team did little more than stay the course and that just isn't true. Going in to 2011 the Giants were heavily criticized for letting Kevin Boss walk and Steve Smith go to the hated Eagles. They were also criticized for not being more active in FA in general.

What Jerry Reese and Tom Coughlin had, however, was young & developing talent. Victor Cruz and JPP were arguably the best young players on offense and defense, respectively, in 2011. Outside of Coples, I'm not really sure who the young players are on this team that are going to be develop into strong contributors.

18. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Worse is better we need draft picks!

19. FriendlyGiantsFan

I don't think Rex needs to go and Tannenbaum should stay at GM unless they have a better option on the market (Bill Polian doesn't count, he's semi-retired and lets his son handle a lot of his work). I don't think it's a bad idea to look at replacing Sanchez. That great 2009 team had a rookie QB starting and played pretty well. Based on the "it happened once, so it can happen again" logic that you seem to favorable towards, Rex should be able to do it again with a retooled roster and a young QB regardless of if that young QB is Sanchez or not.

To me it boils down to if Sanchez is helping the team more than he hurts them. Right now he is clearly more so a part of the problem than the solution. I'm not saying he's the ONLY part of the problem, because this team isn't one QB away from competing, but I don't think it's a stretch to say he does more harm than good at this point.

Due to his ridiculous contract, he's going to be here next year. You're probably going to get your wish in seeing him sticking around. You might even see the roster upgraded and Sanchez playing better as a result. All that remains to be seen, but as of right now the overall evaluation of Sanchez isn't pretty.

20. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

so, following your logic, the fact that Belichik did not consider playing Brady until Bledsoe was injured must mean Brady wasn't very good either, otherwise Belichik would have started him without the injury.

the reality is back up QB's don't get serious looks at being the starter when the team is already set on who the starting QB is going to be. so not getting a chance isn't an indictment of McElroy's ability, it is a reflection of the dynamics of the situation back up QB's face when faced with an entrenched, highly paid starting QB in front of them. otherwise no back up would ever be any good when they finally got their chance to play when a starting QB is injured, because the fact the coach refused to play them over the starter, by your logic, inherently means they weren't good enough to start.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.