QB Options Not On Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #1 Jets Fan, Oct 29, 2012.

1. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Which is why I am not one of the "anyone but Nacho" people.

He CAN play well.
    He just doesn't. Not anymore.

How much does 4 road playoff game wins buy him? 4 more years? 5? 6?

I've been a Sanchez apologist for far longer than I probably should have been, but at this point we know what the guy's upside is - it's Alex Smith's. In ideal conditions, with a great RB, a stout line, and a solid defense - absolutely ideal conditions - he can be efficient. No more. No less. That's it.

I actually think he could end up being more than serviceable in a different environment, on a different team, but at this point New York has broken him. You can see it on his face. You can hear it in his post-games. He's done here. Whether he has another year on this roster is now about salary concerns, not faith as the future of the Jets. He knows it, and everything I've heard from the guy in the last three weeks (combined with the last 6 weeks of last season) tells me he's mentally clocked out.

Tebow's not the answer. McElroy isn't either (although I would like to see him have a stab at a game once it really doesn't matter anymore). But to think that Mark is our "franchise" QB - stop and think about what that means for a 26 year old quarterback...that means he is running this ship for another decade - is a fantasy.

2. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

smith is sanchez with a ton more weapons, the best running game by far in the nfl, and the best o line

its easy to not turn the ball over when u throw the ball 15 times a game and make 4 yard throws everytime

3. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

A ton more weapons? The San Francisco 2011 offensive arsenal was hardly the 1999 St. Louis Rams. This year? Okay, yeah, they're pretty solid all the way around, but last year? No. And once again, Sanchez's mistakes don't come because of talent around him. His god awful mistakes are because of HIM. Receivers aren't tipping balls into defenders hands, he's throwing into double and triple coverage.

4. jets4lyfah

jets4lyfah Banned

I don't see that at all. I see posters projecting their own futility and ineptitude onto Sanchez, trying to tear into him and bring him to their level. I see a hard working qb who still commands the respect of the team and the coach. Who still works with his coaches trying to get better for next week on the sidelines when the game is out of hand. I see a guy taking the brunt of the blame for his team when there's a spectrum of reasons why we are losing. I see a guy who has had incredible success in this league and still has the tools to lead us back there. I see what once were and what could be again.

5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Michael Vick?????

6. TheGreenCantona

and yet Harbaugh has the balls to change him for a better alternative in the long run.

Rex is just not making anybody accountable, it is only talk.

7. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I'd sooner root for a different team than root for a Jets team with Vick on it.

8. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

As much as I hate to say it, maybe Kevin Kolb.
    Arizona looks like they will draft a QB 1st and then look to dump the current ones on their roster.
    At least he would compete with Sanchez during the 2013 season and maybe be here for 2014 while our rookie QB watches a little from the sidelines.

I just dont want Sanchez here any longer than he has to be.

9. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Kevin Kolb is a fucking dumpster fire of a quarterback. We're better off with Sanchez/Tebow than him (and that really says something.)

10. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

If Kevin Kolb comes cheaply he'd be a very solid pickup. Five orange traffic cones would protect the quarterback better than Arizona's offensive line. It's literally ATROCIOUS.

If anything, Kolb is a decent backup and could compete with Sanchez. Again though, only if he comes cheaply

11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Kolb would be a downgrade, He had success in a certain system with Andy Reid for whatever reason , He is a bust given the contract he got from Arizona not to mention he has Larry Fitzgerald to throw to and he still is a bum

12. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yeah there aren't very many options out there and we aren't going to lose draft picks for a placeholder QB. There aren't very many options and with Sanchezs contract there aren't very many trade opportunities. Signs point to him being here next year. Might as well build te surrounding team up for the rookie we draft in 2014

13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I call it 'Jets timing'... Desparate to fill a position in a year where options just aren't really there.

We have to get a placeholder QB though. Going into next season with Sanchez as a clear incumbent starter wouldn't be good for the team, or even Sanchez.

My more realistic scenario based on the limited options, would be to acquire a veteran borderline starter with some leadership and upside in this league. Wouldn't give up more than a 5th or 6th rounder, and wouldn't pay a ton. Let him openly compete with Sanchez next year and hopefully win the job. Draft offensive talent this year, and then draft a QB the following year. Hopefully let him learn behind this vet for part or all of that '14 season.
    Kind of like Hasselbeck coming into the '10 season with Tennessee.
    In other words, a perceived washed up vet with high character and a productive season or 2 left in the tank.

Is there anyone who potentially fits this scenario?

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yep. Kyle Orton.

15. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Then tebow can take his job....again.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah, there just aren't high quality QB prospects in this draft. Geno Smith and Matt Barkley are the closest and both of them have issues that take them off the A-1 list.

The problem the Jets have is that there aren't good top of the second round choices either unless one of the two guys above slips to late 1st/early 2nd. Even then if Barkley slipped I'd be thinking Brady Quinn all over again.

There are a bunch of guys you could take in the mid-2nd without a huge argument from Mel Kiper but that's a dead zone for QB's that almost never produces a starting QB. No team should ever take a QB after the first few picks of the 2nd round and before the 6th. You almost never get NFL QB's out of that unless you count holding a clipboard as being a player. In the 6th round you're looking for that clipboard holder and you might get lucky in other ways.

So the Jets will need a vet to come in and play QB for them next year unless they're willing to have Sanchez run another bad offense.

It's really ugly. You can't go into an NFL season with a QB that the fans are disgusted with. They'll make you pay for it. Literally.

17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Definite possibility.
    Ideally, i'd like to see a little more starting experience, and/or proven high character and leader.

Best case example, Kurt Warner signing with the Cards. Experience, Leadership, and plenty in the tank.
    Bad case example, Donavon McNabb signing with the Vikings. Experience, Leadership, but absoutely nothing in the tank.
    Middle example would be more of a Hasselbeck with Tenn. I think that is the Jets realistic range.

18. Big Blocker

Only Tebots and people who do not know what really happened in Denver last year would say that.

So which are you?

19. Big Blocker

Of course I was talking up Orton this last off season, but I think he'd be perfect in terms of what is realistic and what the Jets need in the short run. Of course the Tebots would absolutely howl that the Jets went and got him and let Tebow go somewhere else, but to me that only adds to the attraction. F those whatevers.

Orton went to Dallas as an FA. I don't know what his contract is, but D does not have much invested in him. His stats are much better than Sanchez's, and his last appearance, in awful KC, he won two of three including a win against Denver. Denver of course was an awful situation for anyone what with the Tebots screaming for his head.

That would be my only fear about Orton, that being I wonder if he's averse to the spotlight. Still, given that Sanchez craps the bed in the spotlight, it can't get any worse with Orton. He'd be my pick.

20. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Maybe Kolb and a soon to be fired Andy Reid as the coordinator?

I wanted so bad to try and prove this point wrong but pretty spot on. Dalton was the first guy that came to mind but he was the 3rd pick in the 2nd round. Kaepernick hasn't shown enough yet but he was the spot after. Russell Wilson would fit the bill but you're more likely to end up with Chad Henne/Trent Edwards in that spot.