Fireman Ed quits

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PatPatriot, Nov 25, 2012.

1. I Am The Stig

I Am The Stig Active Member

Seems like its those types of Jets fans that fight Bills fans when they're winning like in week 1.

Never really cared for him, but I remember when I went to the Thanksgiving game against the Bengals, I said it was amazing how he had command of 100,000 people in a stadium.

2. Boba Jett

Boba Jett Member

So many haters even on this forum. Say what you want but he was a fellow JETS fan and a good influence. Sounds like a lot of you are just jealous of the attention he got or don't know how to read the article. He's stepping down because of how craptastic and classless some of our fans at the game and apparently on this board are. Sad.

3. Benny the Jet

Benny the Jet Active Member

This exactly! So many good points. First off, talent wise, this team isn't near as bad as some of the horrible teams that I used to watch as a kid with Joe Walton, Rich Kotite or Bruce Coslet. For too many years, I was forced to watch a team that could AT BEST be described as pathetic! Yet, as bad as those teams were, i still attended every game (we've had season tickets for 28 years) and proudly called myself a Jets fan. More importantly, it was "terribleness" of those Jets teams that in a strange way led to a solidarity and respect among Jets fans.

The problem with this team is not the losing, because as Jets fans we've endured plenty of that, but its all the extra BS that goes along with it. As bad as those years were, it doesn't compare to the pathetic state that the this organization currently finds itself in. There's more dissension and vitriol among the fan base then I can ever remember, the organization seems to be more dysfunctional then ever before and quite frankly the manner in which our coach and team handles itself is embarrassing and pathetic. Essentially what I'm saying is that these past two years, more then ever before, have been embarrassing and frustrating to be a Jets fan.

Lastly, as for Ed, I'm THANKFUL he wrote that letter. So many of you here have said "who cares, he's no different then us" or 'screw him,' etc. but the fact that he's no more or less a fan then us yet had the ability to voice his opinion in a public forum that might actually garner attention from someone within the organization is incredible. It's to all of our advantage that a fan like ourselves had the ability to express the sentiment and disgust of an entire Fan base in a public enough forum that it might actually make a difference. I love the gang green and it's a great place to vent for us Jets fans, but that's where it begins and ends. The more our anger gets out in any media form only helps the cause of getting our voice heard by a supremely tone deaf owner!

4. kongshouse

kongshouse New Member

It is wrong for the fans to harass him at the game. Fun jabbing is okay but to take it to the extreme like following him to the bathroom and around the stadium is done by bottom of the earth , crud, low life human beings , who probably need to be exterminated from the planet anyways. I'm sure their miserable lives are what drives them to do this.

5. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

Lol, wow. :breakdance:

6. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

How can he possibly return without looking like a bandwagoner?

7. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Alot of fans accused him of being on the Jets pay roll and wearing the Sanchez jersey because they told him to wear it, that was apparently the biggest thing being said in the crowd.But bottomline this is a clear case of someone who just wants attention and has nothing to do with what goes on on the field, So someone else will step up and lead the Jets-Jets-Jets chant ill do it if i have to

8. kongshouse

kongshouse New Member

So what if he was, what is the big deal with that? At least he rooted for the team and was watching the games.

9. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

Never was a fan of Frireman Ed, although I loved seeing him in the stands at road playoff games.

However, the obnoxious drunk fans who go to games and think they have a right to comment when other fans leave, or harass fans of other teams, or who act like slobs in front of others and children, and have no respect for anyone around them are a disgrace and are why I gave up my 10 season tickets and no longer take my family to games.

It is a sad commentary on how miserable their lives must be.

10. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Don't know how many of you were in the stadium for home games in 2007? 2008? Ed Anzalone was in the hospital and recovering from surgery that season so he wasn't going to games.

The stadium was absolutely dead quiet at times during games. There were a couple of replacement "cheerleaders" in the stands but no one was able to do what Ed did. Not one of them could get 70k+ people to follow his lead and the chant would break out , out of sync in different parts of the stadium. For those hating on this guy, there won't be a choreographed chant with a replacement until either Ed comes back or someone really establishes themselves as a leader. Food for thought.

11. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

He just started wearing the Sanchez Jersey to support our QB since 90% of the fan base is booing our starting QB. He had been wearing the Harper jersey with 42 on the back for the better part of 2 1/2 decades.

12. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Sorry to see him leave.

My kids loved the J-E-T-S chants at the stadium. Hope Jets organization finds a way to keep the chant going.

13. BigJenks

BigJenks Active Member

Let's get fat guy with the Airplane hat to replace him! lol J-E-T-ESSTH JETSSTH JETSSTH JETSSTH!

14. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

They already do that during the pregame. John Cena did it during the colts game. Kevin James did it for the dolphins game.

15. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Chant won't die, it just won't be as good as it was.

A few years ago, Ed didn't go to any games, and they picked a random fan every week to lead the chant. It sucked every week, and the Jets were awful.

I know people are jealous of him being considered the superfan and all that. I understood some of the hate, but for the most part, I figured a lot of it was jealousy, and if I were in his position, I'd be frustrated with it, too.

EDIT: This is what I was referring to.

16. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

The Barrel guy left Denver. And they still do the In-com-plete. Ed wasn't going to live forever. Move on people

17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

WE have much bigger problems then Fireman Ed!!!!

18. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

most people think the actual chant is a joke anyway....losing the chant at games might not be the worst thing......

19. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

Ed never attends the preseason games. In fact, I only saw him at one in all my years as a ticket holder. And that was only because he took part in some dopey ceremony.

20. Mr. Green Pants

I'm not surprised he's getting harassed. These days, wearing a Sanchez jersey at a Jet game is kinda like wearing a red sweat suit at the Running of the Bulls. Not a great idea.