mangini

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by chris5533, Nov 25, 2012.

1. BTC

BTC New Member

Jesus fucking christ. In that case we're just fucked all around for a long time.

2. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

We'll see what happens.........

3. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

LMAO @ this thread. Mangina should not be coaching this defense unless you wanna be a bottom 5 defense in this league for the rest of his tenure.

4. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Agree really with all of this. I'd like to see him brought here in some capacity.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Mangini was fired because Woody Johnson spent a ton of cash in 2008 and did not get full return on the investment. People talking about how Mangini brought the Jets talent base way up need to understand that adding Thomas Jones, Alan Faneca, Damien Woody, Brett Favre and Calvin Pace without losing a draft pick in the process was a lot more than half of the rise in value.

Mangini's drafts hit on D'Brick, Mangold, Revis, Harris and Keller primarily. That's 3 drafts for 5 starting players. That's not replacement level for an NFL franchise. You have to get at least 2 eventual starters out of each draft to keep up with Not For Long. You really should get more than that.

For all the value the Jets got at the top of Mangini's drafts they didn't get enough good players to maintain the franchise. Veteran free agents covered that fact up until they dropped out and then we were left right where we are: not enough talent and particularly not enough talent in the starters.

6. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We keep a guy like Bart Scott and Bryan Thomas and let a guy like Jason Taylor walk its little things like this all over the field,Taylor was old granted but he had 5 sacks 2 safteys and a bunch of tackles, Better then Thomas and Scott put together in two straight years,Same thing on offense, Edwards,Smith n Cotch replaced by scrubs, Woody retires and we still haven't found a real replacement, Thomas Jones and LT get replaced by Greene and Mcknight, If your plan is to go younger you have to have the talent to do it,putting a young scrub on the field isn't the answer

#26 LongIslandBlitz, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  7. Laszlo Kovacs

Laszlo Kovacs Active Member

He was drafted as a 4-3 DT, not a 3-4 NT. Squarest peg ever pushed into a round hole.

8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I always liked Mangini and thought he got a raw deal here and in Cleveland. I am happy with RR but would love EM on the staff as his knowledge of Belidicks strategy could be valuable. It won't happen tho, and priority should be roster changes.

9. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Shouldn't the fact that Mangini has never coached a good defense in the NFL be relevant to this discussion?

Blame Favre all you want for 2008 (he certainly deserves it,) but Mangini and Sutton absolutely coached the Jets out of a playoff spot with their vanilla schemes.

Putting aside Mangini's bad blood with the organization, his abrasive personality, and his tendency towards megalomania, he just isn't a very good coach. His record bears that out pretty clearly.

10. NYJetsMetsCTHuskies

NYJetsMetsCTHuskies Active Member

Get rid of Rex and end the circus we have here.

Rex's legacy will always be: great defensive mind but big ego kept him from winning a Superbowl.

11. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Exhibit B - Mark Sanchez.
    And Favre was all on Tanny ------ 1 lousy year of service for a 3rd round draft choice, - boy, the Packers fleeced Tannenbaum on that one.
    The fastest Favre ran was for the locker-room at the end of the game in Week 17.

#31 wewantsapp, Nov 25, 2012
  12. TheBlairThomasFumble

I don't think this is an inaccurate assessment, but I'd add that Lowery, Leon Washington, and the two Smiths all were good role players in their own ways. Drew Coleman hung around for a while and Clemens, while a flop as a starter and 2nd round pick, isn't the worst QB ever picked in the top two rounds.

Gholston, Ainge, Henry and Garner were all disasters in 2008.

I won't pretend to have broken down the drafts of the most successful franchises, but I'd be very surprised if this draft record is far removed from the the gold standard franchises during that period.

That being said, someone new needs to call the shots in the Jets FO, whether it's EM or someone more talented or qualified.

13. TheBlairThomasFumble

I agree. I don't want to see him with a headset on in Jets green.

14. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I wouldn't mind seeing Mangini as GM.

The guy knows football but not really a HC or DC material IMO.

15. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Is this thread discussing Mangini as a Jets COACH or Mangini as a Jets GM? I think depending on which you're discussing changes the tone of the whole thread.

16. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

I agree with you to an extent but i believe Mangini was a good talent evaluator and drafted very well. He added some good talent in his time with the Jets, which we lack now.

17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I think Mangini as GM could actually be a decent idea, He has always had a eye for talent, Except Gholston of course but any probowl type players left on our roster were Drafted by Mangini David Harris,Mangold,Revis,Keller the best 4 players on our team, He also drafted Brad Smith who was a speical player Dustin Keller was a First Round pick and he hasn't had the QB to bring him to where he could be,Not to mention DBrick and Leon Washington who we let walk like idiots. the Rex Ryan era hasn't produced one real stud excpet Wilkerson Manginis draft's were quite amazing when you compare them to Rex's during the Gholston draft we also got Keller so it wasn't all bad

#37 LongIslandBlitz, Nov 25, 2012
  18. jets4lyfah

jets4lyfah Banned

I didn't like Mangini's wooden personality and questioned whether he could motivate the players to really play for him

But the guy knows football and he understood the process needed for sustained success. In that way he's not unlike Ryan. Their personality and demeanor are almost polar opposites but they bring a specific philosophy to their team and organizes the roster/personel to bring that vision to a fruition

you stick with either coach for a half decade or so and you will reap the benefits for years to come

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He also got rid of Jonathan Vilma, Kerry Rhodes and Erik Coleman in his short stint as Jets head coach.

I really think if you strip away the free agents this team is a disaster show for most of the last 6 years. What that tells us is that starting in 2005 the Jets ability to acquire talent slipped and that despite concentrating value in a few star players the Jets still had to go back to the free agent market again and again for reinforcements, just to keep up with the decent teams in the league and not the elite ones.

20. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

^Rhodes was with the Jets under RR in 09. Coleman was nothing. For the record.