mangini

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by chris5533, Nov 25, 2012.

1. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I could not have hated him more as the head coach of the jets...with that said, there is no denying he is a football nerd. I would love the jets to bring him back as defensive coordinator. Besides the awful job mike tannenbaum has done, I think one of jets biggest flaws is there inability to fire coordinators. I don't think mike pettit has done a good job at all over the years, I also think we are the most fundamentaly unsound team on defense in the nfl. We can't tackle at all, we have to may stupid penalties and overall lack of discipline. I know we have a cpuple decent years on defense, but I believe we get away with allot more than realized because cromartie and revis are so good.

My point is I don't think rex is going to be fired. I do believe everyone needs to go. Rex has to start surrounding himself with contrasting personalties. Eric mangini was a terrible head coach because players could not relate to his tirless calculus appraoch to football. Possibly out of the forefront and into the background he can get his career back on track. I watched him as an anaylist and find him incredibly knowledagable and likeable. Something he never came across as, as a head coach. Maybe he has learned something from his experiances.

Rex while players love him, someone needs to be the "dick" the players love playing for him and want to play for him due to the way he treats them, but they clearly take advantage and seems to be no real controls over what they do. There has to start being real accountability. The combination of the two may be the right mix. You can't be to much mangini, nor to much rex.

I know we have problems on every front-sanchez,sporano, greene etc.. Its all we ever talk about here, so I'm reaching for different things to make me feel better about this obimination of a season. Despite all of our expert opinion and bitching. Lol allot of what we feel needs to be changed simply isn't going to happen due to financial constraints. So the core of what we all hate will be the same baring something bizzare.. ( bill cowher hiring). I don't see the orginization doing anything drastic next season. So I think more less heralded changes are more realstic than all of The things we keep wishing for.

2. mute

mute Well-Known Member

3. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I agree with a lot of what you said... I don't know if Mangini would come back as a DC but he isn't cut out to be a head coach because of the style that you mentioned. I think Mangini however could be a very good college coach much the way Saban is. Nobody in coaching strikes me as a bigger asshole then Nick Saban yet you can't deny he gets the most out of his college players.

As I look back I think Mangini was kind of given a bum deal both here and Cleveland.

4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I think Mangini was a very important part in terms of understanding a specific vision for his team and knowing exactly what type of players he wanted to bring in here. He helped put together a very good football team with the vision he had.

I don't know if anyone has noticed but the team he had when he was ran out of town played pretty damn well for, Rex. Now that vision is gone and we are lacking serious talent at several positions.

Mangini also helped put together a very strong core for the Brownies as well, that team has a very promising core of players there.

I'm really torn on this topic right now because I have found myself thinking back to the Mangini era and the talent we had then compared to now, at the same time I think Rex has a very strong personality and is a players coach that has the ability to get the very best out of his players but does he really have a strong vision for this team moving forward? Especially player wise.

I'm starting to think that Rex seems to think that character, heart, and determination doesn't really matter and that he thinks he can turn into player into an all star and that any team he has will be successful, but it just doesn't work like that.

So I don't know what I think anymore.

5. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

A couple of decent years ? We were #1 in 2009 , #3 in 2010 and #5 last season. I understand we suck this year but maybe where jumping the gun on the D a little bit here. Mangini is a very good talent evaluator but idk about running the D, I rather have Rex/Pettine.

6. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Mangini was a good coach, I never understood where you guys got the idea that Eric was a "bad" coach. He wasn't kept around long enough to see how his long term vision would have panned out for this team. Woody tried to appease Bret Favre by firing Mangini only for Bret to "retire" anyway.

7. Borgata

Borgata Active Member

I agree with this about Mangini. I would consider having Mangini in our FO, but not as GM so not sure where that puts him.

Now Mangini as a DC is an awful idea. I don't know about everyone else but I remember hating Mangini and his vanilla scared to blitz style defense. I remember how refreshing it was when Rex came in and we started regularly blitzing and trying to create pressure.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I don't know who gets the credit for player acquisition - isn't that what made Tannenbaum the sheer genius that this board made him to be? If he is responsible for that, how can anyone credit Mangini for the player acquisition during his tenure as a HC?

As a DC, he was god-awful. His defense sucked at NE, and his defense sucked at NYJ. He is not coming in as a DC.

9. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

If the plan was to appease Brett Favre, I don't think Schotty would've been kept.

10. Laszlo Kovacs

Laszlo Kovacs Active Member

Remember Dewayne Robertson, Mangini's 300 lb NT?

(Although I think Mangini did some things right in NY and the Browns were actually decent under him).

11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Robertson was drafted in 2003. Mangini didn't become HC until 2006.

12. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

A few quick points.

1. Mangini was fired after a 9-7 season because of the collapse down the stretch. I think some owners would have given him another year, but let's not kid ourselves, Tanny threw him under the bus to Woody and stabbed his close friend in the back to save his own job, when it's obvious that Tanny played a key role in bringing Favre in. Does that excuse Mangini for the collapse? Not completely, but he was a scapegoat.

2. Mangini, for all his faults, did greatly improve the talent on the roster while he was here. I've argued in other threads that maybe it was just the pairing of Tanny and Mangini then that made that happen. Or maybe Tanny's gotten a hell of a lot worse at evaluating talent, but it's clear that the Mangini-era drafts brought in much more talent then Rex's.

3. I'd like to see Mangini brought back, not as a DC, but as some sort of talent evaluator, quality control person, or hell, even GM. If you've ever heard him offer commentary on football, the guy is smart. It isn't all this bluster and bullshit cliches; he really is insightful and knows football.

4. Regardless, Tanny's got to go, Mangini or no Mangini.

5. Rex, if he stays, needs LESS of a role in talent evaluation. Not more. Exhibit A? John Conner.

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. Frankly I wouldn't mind exchanging Tannenbaum for Mangini at GM post. Mangini wouldn't fuck the roster up like Tannenbaum did, for all I can tell you.

2. Do not kid yourself either - Mangini's defense was god-awful even with healthy Kris Jenkins up the middle. He shouldn't be wearing headset come gameday.

14. TheBlairThomasFumble

Oh and I should of said above, I agree with a lot of what the OP had to say. Good post.

15. BTC

BTC New Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

EXACTLY!!!! But Rex has got to go. I was the biggest Rex Ryan fan boy going. But Rex is a shitty head coach. When he's got stars on the team and we are winning its all good. But Rex has no and will take no control nor will he be a dick when it is called for.

The only complaint I have about Mangini calling the D is than he loved to go into the goddamn sure fire game losing "prevent" defense when we got a lead. Whenever we got ahead he would take his foot off the gas.
    I think he would be a great GM or Talent evaluator.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Your whole Mangini/Rex thing may be a good idea but you may have it backwards.

17. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Mangini for GM!

18. TheBlairThomasFumble

I agree about Mangini for GM. Demote Tanny to cap guy, if his ego can take it, and let Mangini call the shots.

Agree. Mangini's defenses never really delivered.

Of course, Rex's D has been A FUCKING JOKE this year.

19. BTC

BTC New Member

If there is a regime change anyone left over from this year would just be a cancer to the whole cause. If your gonna change then you gotta change. Keeping Tannenhole? Really? At any position, keeping him in the organization he would be running his mouth and stabbing everyone in the back to Woody every chance he got to further his own donut eating piece of shit agenda.

20. TheBlairThomasFumble

The thing is - think of how many guys like Bob Sutton and Cavanaugh are still collecting checks from Woody in one way or another. Woody's probably a nice guy who doesn't like to fire people - he's the anti-Trump - so I could see him keeping Tanny even if he removes the GM title.

On twitter? follow the #firemikeT tag :)