IND 9-5, CIN 8-6, PIT 7-7, Jets 6-7... Playoffs!?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

That reactionary mentality is basically the reason this franchise hasn't had the intestinal fortitude to follow a long term plan, resulting in 40 years of mediocrity (with alot of years of pure shit mixed in)

2. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

no,buying into the hype,having guys make poor decisions at the top, and worrying about filling seats instead of building a team is what has cost this franchise.

we arent going anywhere with the leagues worst qb under center. until that changes, we are sunk. and prolonging the sanchez experiment hurt this franchise immensely.

3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

None of that addresses if we go 9-7. If we go 9-7, we are winning with Sanchez and with less talent than in 2009, 2010, and probably 2011. That's the point. If we make a run and get to 9-7, there is no reason to start firing people, it means they made it work

4. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Thank you for this post, because I would have been a lot more rude and a lot less articulate in response to the stupidity he posted.

5. TheJetLife

TheJetLife Well-Known Member

Wow, that's actually a really good point. Good post.

6. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I'd say we're weaker than the 2009 team in most areas going into game 11, but maybe a little closer than you think. I'd rate it like this ...

OL - weaker (in 2012)
    WR - weaker
    TE - even
    RB - weaker
    QB - stronger

DL - stronger
    LB - weaker
    CB - weaker
    S - stronger

KR - even
    PR - weaker
    K - even
    P - stronger

EDIT: Almost forgot ... Personal Protector - Much, Much Stronger :grin:

#86 truthbtold, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  7. stinkyB

exactly my point

8. stinkyB

Yeah, but the O-line is MUCH worse (and the running game to go with it), which was the engine that made the offense go, and I'd even say QB posiiton is worse, simply because the spark they got from Brad Smith w/ the WildCat was MUCH more effective than with Tebow, who is a much better punt protector :smile: . Braylon & Jco >>>>>> Kerley & Hill
    Overall, that's a big subtraction on offense, and we're witnessing the results of it most games

On defense the LBs are MUCH slower. You don't see the swarming green in the backfield like we did in 2009..... and of course the Revis factor, who played out of his mind that season.

I truly hope it happens, I just don't think they have the horses to run the race.

9. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

If this team can get to 9-7....the young d-line shows it is progressing, powell and mcknight becomes more useful on offense (which is obviously happening based on last week), and Sanchez can manage games without any game breakers you have to look at this team and say who has to be added to make it better? You don't start over you add on and replace. RT, LG, WR, RB -- you see where you can improve at those positions via the draft and free agency.

It's obvious special teams has gotten weak so they need to draft smart in the bottom half and bring in quality depth to fill that void.

10. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Well said. If we get to 9-7 in a season when we are without our best player (Revis) and, arguably, our #1 WR in Holmes for the vast majority of the year that seems pretty good to me. You have to figure that their contributions (especially Revis) would have made a huge difference especially in close games, maybe would have helped us win two or even three more.

If we can get to 9 wins this year and then in the offseason address a few of our bigger issues (most notably RB and LBs) and get back Revis and Holmes that bodes pretty well.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

When you look to 2013 assuming we can get to 8-8 or 9-7 this season, when you start looking at the draft and FAs to get better we also get the top defensive player and a SB MVP receiver added to the top.

12. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Quoted for motherfucking truth.

I keep hearing people this week blasting Westhoff of the radio for the poor play of the ST. The real problem is the lack of quality depth to fill the roles effectively.

13. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

Not sure how you can overlook San Diego and Cincinnati. One of them will get in.

San Diego (4-6) vs:
    Baltimore - Loss
    Cincinnati - W/L
    Steelers - W/L
    Panthers - W
    Jets - W/L
    Raiders - W/L

So 3 teams they face are fighting for playoffs.

Cincinnati (5-5) vs:
    Oakland - W
    San Diego - W/L
    Cowboys - W/L
    Eagles - W
    Steelers - W/L
    Ravens - W/L (who knows what they do if they have clinched already)

they play 2 teams fighting for playoff spot in same conference.

14. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I'd say CB is even. We didn't have Cromartie in 2009 and he's playing at a near Revis level, so it's not a big dropoff. The rest I agree with.

15. truthbtold

I can see your case, but remember ... as another poster just mentioned ... Revis had one of the all-time great seasons for a CB in 2009. Cromartie is doing a good job, but nothing approaching the way Revis completely erased WR's that season.

16. truthbtold

We need both of them to get to 7 losses. If we beat SD we probably eliminate them as a factor. Also SD plays CINCY so one of them has to add another conference loss to their record. Best case for us would be SD beating CINCY and we take care of SD a few weeks later. I'm not saying we're a lock for 9-7, but if we do get there we have a very good shot of getting in.

And for the record, I'm not giving CINCY an automatic win against the Eagles. In fact, if the game is in Philly (and I think it is) I'd bet on the Eagles to win that game.

#96 truthbtold, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  17. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

Right. A lot of things need to happen, not ideal but better than being dead in the water. Ben might be out for some time, so Pitt could be in serious trouble.

18. truthbtold

I hope you're right, but even without Ben, the Steelers will squeeze 9 wins out of that schedule on defense alone. The endzone was just a rumor for the Ravens on Sunday night. I think we'll end up with a handful of 9-7 teams, so we better have a good conference record ... and at 9-7 I think we would be 7-5 in the AFC at worst.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

From Pro FB Talk predictions for this week for anyone following this thread. Give these assholes credit. They got every game right except 1.

Patriots at Jets
    MDS’s take: I give Rex Ryan a lot of credit for having his team playing hard in the face of adversity last week, and I think Rex will put together a good game plan to stop a Gronkowski-less Patriots offense. But the problems with the Jets’ own offense are real, and not getting any better. The Patriots will win a low-scoring game.
    MDS’s pick: Patriots 17, Jets 10.

Florio’s take: A possible classic is in the offing, the first-ever nationally-broadcast Thanksgiving night NFL game on a major network. The fact that the Jets won on Sunday makes it more interesting. The fact that the Pats have been pounding teams lately makes it potentially less interesting — except to see which players get hurt on the PAT team in the fourth quarter.
    Florio’s pick: Patriots 38, Jets 24.

Steelers at Browns
    MDS’s take: Given the uncertainty surrounding the Steelers’ quarterback situation, it wouldn’t be shocking to see the Browns take this one. But I think Charlie Batch will surprise some people by running the offense competently and putting points on the board, and the Steelers’ defense will give Brandon Weeden trouble.
    MDS’s pick: Steelers 24, Browns 7.

Florio’s take: Whether it’s Charlie Batch or Brian Hoyer or Ben Roethlisberger or Kordell Stewart or Terry Hanratty under center, the Steelers will find a way to get things back on track against a Browns team that isn’t nearly as bad as their record would suggest.
    Florio’s pick: Steelers 17, Browns 13.

Bills at Colts
    MDS’s take:
    After getting demolished by the Patriots, the Colts need this one. I like Andrew Luck to have a big game against a suspect Buffalo defense, and the Colts to get a win that allows them to keep pace with the Steelers and a game ahead of the Bengals in the AFC wild card race.
    MDS’s pick: Colts 28, Bills 20.

Florio’s take: A potential playoff knockout game, with the winner in pretty good shape to make it to January and the loser, well, not. The Colts aren’t as bad as their loss to the Pats would indicate, and the Bills aren’t as good as their win over the Fins would suggest.
    Florio’s pick: Colts 24, Bills 17.

20. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

I disagree with the Browns predictions there. I think they aren't quite as bad as their record suggests. They've been within 1 score in 5 of their games, and last week some defensive PIs effectively handed the game back to the Cowboys on their final drive in regulation. I can very easily see them sneaking a win against an Ben-less Steelers team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.