The Jets...now, this off season and next year...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Nov 12, 2012.

1. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

Great post.

Three things:

1. Rex has me questioning him for the first time this season, and I have been a staunch supporter of him from day one. The ineffectiveness of the offense falls on him, no one else; he kept Schotty around way too long, then went and got a terrible OC in Sparano, and continues to hitch his wagon to Sanchez. you can blame an OC or QB only for a short while, but when it's been years with no improvement, it's on the HC at that point. I agree, this team needs stability and so I am still for sticking with Rex, but, for me, the clock has started ticking.
    2. The Sanchez era absolutely must end after this season. I really thought he had figured it out in the preseason and especially after that beatdown of the Bills, but the kid is never going to be the QB the Jets need. Maybe elsewhere if he can get a grip on his nerves/emotions, but we simply cannot afford to place this offense in his hands for another season. Barring some miraculous comeback performance these last 7 games, it's over IMO. Cut him loose or hand him the clipboard.
    3. Austin Howard has played very well at RT, all things considered. Taking into account the monumental mess this team has transformed into since 2010, RT is not a primary concern this offseason, IMO.

2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Great post. I don't think Holmes should be removed asap, he seemed like a better teammate this year than last year and he still is a talented player. If he proves to be a problem, then drop him.

3. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

mezz, i would start mcelroy now and hand sanchez, the turnover machine, a clipboard. sporano is gone as soon as the last game is played this year.

i would fire tannybum, badway, sutton, and cavanugh yesterday.

results count, the offense is supposed to score points for our team only.

keeping sanchez as the starter shows that rex is delusional. call buddy up and have him pay rex a visit and slap the snow out of his head!

4. TTTTebowAndTheJets

5. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

interesting, but it does NOT prevent them from starting mcelroy and handing suckchez a clipboard.

tebow can still get 10% of the snaps in the brad smith role.

maybe tannybum and rex are delusional/borderline suicidal.:shit:

6. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Great comments and feedback! Yeah, I do understand that Chip Kelley is a pipe dream but we can always hope. At the very least we can try and grab someone in his type of mold that has a track record of developing QB's. Agreed, also, that McElroy should be given a shot. Let's see how the next 2 games pan out. If we can't pull out a win then the playoffs are, mathematically, a for sure gonner. THEN you put McElroy in...REGARDLESS of what Johnson wants. At that point Rex has to conclude that he is on the line and has to do what he has to. This ensures he may get a shot on another team.

To answer the one poster...I have NO idea what to do with Johnson. Is there really anything that can be done? That is a tough question. Clearly Jones is the same meddling butt hole. Snyder seems to have taken a step back with the insertion of Shanahan...but how long will that last. It's frustrating but to these owners a team is nothing but a big toy. They have no concept that it's such an emotional experience for both the team and the fans. They have no concept that there are fans who's whole weeks experience can be altered by a win or a loss. Crazy or not it is what it is. It's also what makes the NFL a $9 billion entity. In my opinion it's magnified even more what with all the weather issues going on there now. People could really use a pick me up...even if it is something as small as a win. We may have to get used to Johnson meddling resulting in mediocre teams or worse circus atmospheres.

I can agree, also, with the poster's assessment of the teams's FO and scouting corps. It may be time for Tanny to go along with Badway. Not so sure about Sutton. I'm compiling a realistic list of potential GM's and will field that as the season draws closer to the end. No telling what shakes out.

I do agree that about the QB thing but I really want to see what we have in McElroy. The kid won at Alabama...not the talent laden bloated USC team in the watered down Pac12. I want to see it. He looked good in pre-season a year and a half ago and I want to see more before we write him off and spend another high draft pick on a different QB.

There are some serious changes that need to be made. And I said before, it starts at the top. Until Johnson either steps back or sells the team we could be looking at a long time of ugliness. Either that or he gets a STRONG GM who has the stones to tell him to back off and fields a winning team to support his position.

7. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

He's not coming to the NFL at all, not with the University of Nike writing him checks. They'll match any offer and then some. He's probably at Oregon until he wishes to leave, which quite frankly I don't know why he would.

8. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

What team did you play for???And for how long???

9. mezzavo

The only reason I brought it up was because I read a story, over the weekend, that essentially said that he's there until he wins a national championship. That's why I said "we'll see how things shape up this year". He's been offered a number of positions so it was worth the mention. :up:

10. mezzavo

Seattle...a looooonnngggg time ago. :breakdance:

11. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Holmes is the garbage man. The foot injury hold knee, ball flip to opposing team was my final straw. Fuck Holmes.

We need PRODUCTION players not highlight reel players.

12. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Well...U made alot of points. The lockerroom business is not to be questioned. The working of the Jets though. Woody if you've noticed seems to enjoy the spotlight.

The Jets aren't going anywhere with Rex & Tanny. Jets real #1 problem....besides coaching, is talent evaluation. Jets front office is very poor when it comes to evaluating talent & putting them in positions to succeed.

Rex, has become a bafoon with his false predictions. He has lost his weight & his swaggeer. Crying like a lil bitch after the Seahawks lose, his eyes all red....wtf!!!

The offense sucks. Sparano, after an excellent opening day performance, has done a steady spiral downward. Clearly, Sparano has proven to be a poor hire as O.C. Offensive line needs to be upgraded. RB position needs upgrade. WR position needs upgrade. Why didn't Jets re-sign Braylon Edwards or Plax ??? I'm not going to even mention the brainless Sanchez. His ability to improvise is Abysmal & he can't even scramble. Jets need new QB. So basically were saying Jets need a damn near.....whole new offense. They need a Blocking TE. Man...it's no wonder why Jets offense sucks...lol. Who can u salvage.....WR Hill, TE Keller, LT & RT Brick & Austin Howard & Brandon Moore RG...am I missing anybody ??? OK...Mangold. That means Jets need 5 players, thats half the offense. Sanchez is salvagable, but Jets have to get better Offensive coaching. Hey, if they can upgrade the QB position, then do it. There's a real nice young QB from San Diego St. thats on the Arizona Cardnals roster...Ryan Lindley. I saw a glimpse of him in bowl game, he seems to be able to think on his feet & has a cannon for an arm.

As far as Tebow goes, Jets should play him. It seems to me that alot of NY'ers have forgoten Eli mannings early days. Eli was sat down & benched, had competition for his position. I think Kurt Warner started a few games over Eli in the early days. Jets should sit Sanchez. Just because he sits, doesn't mean u can't put him back at helm when they want to. Jets seem to be a lil to rigid in there thinking. Sanchez....might be able to relax & gain better understanding from sitting a few games. Jets ain't going anywhere anyway this season.

Defensively, It's hard for a 3-4 defense to stop the run when u don't have a real NT. In case u haven't noticed....Jets have lost all games & can't stop run since Kendrick Ellis got hurt. Pouha, for all his hustle, can't maintain point of attack. He's better suited as DE with his agility & quickness in 3-4 defense. Even DeVito is looking better at NT. Jets just appear to be clueless nowadays. Tanny needs to stick to the finances & Jets need to bring in a football GM...IMO.

And as far as next season...Jets #1 priorities are...not necessarily in order are:OLB....Jets need 2 OLB speed rushers; NT, someone to rotate with Kendrick Ellis; LG; RB; FS; CB,,,,,Jets need to upgrade there LB's....more speed needed. Jets also need a blocking TE.

Does anyone know why & how Jets let OL Robert Turner go ??? Stupid move !!!
    How did Jets let Pats get CB Talib ???:breakdance::breakdance::breakdance:

#32 Run_N_gun10, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  13. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I agree with most of your points, one worrying thing that hindsight has made clear was that at one time in our offseason we are going for a dual OC approach that fell short when Haley went to Pittsburgh, that is awful plan and simple. Get an innovative OC that is good with QBs and maybe we can salvage Sanchez. I also disagree with the RB situation a bit, we lack explosion plain and simple, we can afford to use a later round pick to get a real guy that can fill the 3rd down back role, I'm not seeing it with either McKnight or Powell

A smaller fast back that had the responsibility of being the workhorse in college so that he is comfortable in any role

14. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I just wonder how many other teams are average at absolute best at all offensive positions. Most are actually below average on this team. Usually teams either have a top 10 QB OR a top 10 RB. We have neither and its not close.

15. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

Great post but a college coach ? I don't think so.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The OP was well thought out and may be the most rational way to go about the process of moving forward for the Jets.

I think there are problems in the organization though that run deeper than we know. I think the Jets have gotten very stale over the last few years. I think Rex's magic has worn off, as all player's coaches magic eventually does - usually within a few seasons at the outside.

Maybe Scott Cohen will be the right answer as the new Director of Pro Personnel. He's handled the job before for the Eagles. He's still young enough to build quite a career for himself here. Maybe Mike Tannenbaum will be able to accept a GM title that does not include responsibility for provisioning the Jets on-field talent. Maybe Woody Johnson will let them find their own right mix and we'll all sit back and enjoy a talented deep team for a change.

I just think that's a lot of maybes right now. Tannenbaum and Terry Bradway were never able to find that right mix. Neither of them produced that deep, talented roster that would have put the Jets over the top. Things were always missing and sometimes with gaping holes in the roster.

And if Cohen isn't the Director of Pro Personnel then the only other job that really makes sense is GM.

#36 Br4d, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  17. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Pats, Brady, Gronk, Hernandez, Lloyd, Welker

Bills, Spiller/Jackson both better than Greene. I don't know if they are top ten, but they are explosive.

Dolphins, Reggie Bush is explosive but inconsistent. (couple more years Dolphins fans, sorry)

Steelers, Mike Wallace, Heath, Big Ben.

Ravens, Bolding, Ray Rice

Bengals, AJ Green

Browns, Trent Richardson in the future?

Colts, Luck?, Wayne definitely.

Jags, MJD before injury

Texans, Andre and Foster and Owen Daniels

Titans, used to be chris johnson, now nobody.

Raiders, McFadden when healthy.

Chargers, Gates.

Chiefs, Bowe and Charles

Broncos, Peyton, Thomas

That's the AFC. We built our team from the offensive line out. When the offensive line struggles, our whole team does. We did not pick or get game changers at the skill positions of offense (Sanchez, Greene, Keller, Kerley nobody is a game breaker in a good way) which makes the offensive line doing great even more important. Our offense goes through them because we don't have game changers. We didn't load up our OL negelecting them and as they struggle/get older, the offense struggles as a whole

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Amen!

He has to get better though. Better as in, understanding [OFFENSES]. Especially the protection schemes, blocking schemes and high percentage plays that follows from there. That in turn will help utilizing his defense as well, so I see no harm in trying.

Elway was desperately trying to get rid of this kid without much repercussion for a reason. Tebow WILL win some games for you - but will he ever win the big ones? I don't think Ravens win SB in 2000 if they had Tebow instead of Dilfer.

Now... this is something I really like - and is very sensible to both Jets and Kelly. Just the catch is... there is a college coach who took over a bumbling franchise, and is winning with that franchise, transforming them along the way. He is Jim Harbaugh.

Oh yes. Yes. YES!!! Can this selfish diva ass. If Jets cut him tomorrow, that would about a full year and half too late.

Obvious. No comment.

If the OL can create decent 2 yard push, 2 yard forward fall will get you 4 yard carry. Do that three times. You get a first down. Too simple? I don't think so.

Now this is where I have a serious problem with. Jets have a serious talent issue at the core of the team - that is, OLB corps, safeties and the OLs (all three in need of starter quality players.) They deserve the first look, if at all. Once the OL is stabilized, then that will give Sanchez ample time - with which he can make plays down the field. Hill, Kerley and Keller look more than competent to handle the task for now. If it comes down to it, Jets should consider moving Keller to WR2, and go with whoever they can find for the blocking TE. All in all, drafting WR in top 3 rounds does not seem sensible to me at all.

Johnson has to realize 1. he should butt out of the equation other than writing the checks 2. he needs FOOTBALL people running the show at GM and scouts. I don't think he will realize either of the two. (My bet is, he won't do either.)

19. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

That will never happen as long as he is making his money.

20. Tommy Gunnz

Tommy Gunnz Member

good post but I would really like to hear about your career in the NFL