The Jets...now, this off season and next year...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Nov 12, 2012.

1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

So I'm sitting here, last night, and decided to take a step back and give it some serious thought...from a coaching and FO stand point. I've read every comment in a number of threads and there are some serious insights to some of the posts. Let me see if I can offer some light and sum up some of your thoughts based upon my musings and thoughts from last night.

Now, some of you know me a long time and some know I used to play football in the NFL. Believe me or not...I do have some unique experience to the insides of a locker room. But forget that. Let me tap into everyone on here who played High School football...because it applies as well to the conundrum that many are wrestling with.

Think back to your days on the H.S. gridiron. More specifically...practice. Unless you were a number 1, think long and hard. Remember how you kept telling yourself "if only you had a chance to show something in practice you might get into a game." Now, remember how many chances you got in practice to do that. I'd be willing to bet you NEVER got that chance. You always got kicked to the curb...never got much more than a snap or two in between the starters catching a "blow". Unless you did some amazing miraculous thing that totally blew their hair off you were back to the sidelines/bench. And that was WITHOUT the FO, or in this case the principal, breathing down the coach's neck.

Fast forward to the NY Jets today. A lot of you have speculated about Tebow and McElroy. Well, we already know about Tebow. He has enough of a body of work that they, and all we fans, know that he may win us a game or two or three but he is not a long term solution in any form. Until he goes and fixes his mechanics...a big IF he CAN fix his mechanics, then he is what he is. As far as McElroy goes, he's that H.S. third stringer that MAYBE gets a couple snaps a WEEK to show what he can do. Per my experience and what we the fans already say, during the pre-season, "it's only pre-season". Anything McElroy does in pre-season is relegated to an after thought because hey, it's only pre-season and they were the scrubs. Only a very few get extended real looks based off a pre-season performance. Everyone in the locker room knows it. One of the reasons that training camp is so important...because it's really the only time you get somewhat even time. McElroy was doomed with the loss of training camp last year, on top of the hand injury. That essentially ended his career, barring injury, to be anything more than a career backup. Not 100% of the cases but 99.9%.

Now, let's bring the FO into the fray. Johnson is concerned about one thing and one thing only. Revenue. It's quite clear by his moves. You know, I know it and the players know it. To reference a link, from another thread, from the NFL guys...Marshall Faulk summed it up correctly. This is bigger than Rex Ryan. He is a fantastic coach...but you can only do so much when your boss is telling you how it's going to be. Then, demanding that you conduct such trades as going after Tebow. He knew that would generate media buzz and plant butts in the seats etc... Screw any rational football reason to bring the kid in. That was not important. And, as many of you already speculate...the entire team knows it. Including Tebow. Tebow's only action plan can be to be the good soldier so that he might have value to another team as a FA later down the line. As far as Mark Sanchez goes...he may be a good QB. But, like David Carr and many before him, his confidence is shot. His first two years he had the talent around him to make mistakes but still succeed. At this point in time he has nearly no talent around him and what he has gained in experience is lost in "no confidence" in his teammates on the offensive side of the ball. You can count the teams, on one hand, who have won in spite of the QB. As recently, Baltimore is one of those examples...although, Trent Dilfer was a far better game manager and had a bit more talent on the offensive side of the ball.

The shining example of how to manage a football team is the Pittsburgh Steelers. The owner almost never gets involved and allows his "football" people to run the ship. There is a reason why they are consistently competitive. All owners should go to the Rooney school of ownership. Look at some of the examples. Dallas and Washington come to mind immediately. Johnson isn't quite a vocal as those two but no less meddlesome.

A prime example of what we SHOULD be doing is most recently reflected in San Francisco. When the elder York had his hands all in the bucket they sucked. They give the reins to Baalke and let the more "hands off" York son run the show and let Harbaugh run the team and the result is obvious.

I'm not telling you anything any of you don't already know but hopefully directing you to think of other things you might not have.

My solution (unlike the recent elections, when I bitch about something I offer up my ideas/solutions):

1. Firstly, W. Johnson needs to sit down, shut up and write checks. End of the story.
    2. Rex Ryan needs to be maintained as head coach. He has done NOTHING to indicate to me that he cannot handle the job. Most facets of the team, on the field, are fine and continuity must be maintained He hasn't "mailed" it in and he wants to win more than some of these players...as far as I can tell.
    3. Tim Tebow must be released at the end of the year...if not mid-season. We have far better uses for his roster spot than 10 plays a game that result in less than 30 yards. This needs to happen unconditionally. Boo hoo about the draft pick etc... Let Woody eat it. Sorry kid, but unfortunately you are the fallout of dysfunctional ownership. Good luck in your future career.
    4. Depending upon the outcome of the college football season, go after Chip Kelly...hard! For the Offensive Coordinator position. Throw some big bucks his way but also rationalize with him that, in recent memory, almost every single supposed "super genius" college football coach to come out and be a NFL head coach ends up back in college after huge failure. Explain that to avoid such humiliation he come in and get into the "flow" for a few years as an OC. Get up to speed. Have some success. Be a part of a SB winner first. At that point it's not foreign to him. He would turn the 'O' around I'm confident. Let him be the one to determine if Sanchez is salvageable, if we have something in McElroy or if we need to go out and change direction.
    5. Santonio Holmes must be removed. He is not conducive to winning. He is so much about "me me me". More so than the average football player. They all have ego's but he is off the chain. EAT his salary. I'd rather have two marginal WR's doing their job than one supposed star tearing up the offense.
    6. RT, G. These positions must be addressed. Quickly. I really do not need to expand on this.

Contrary to popular belief I think we can win with Greene, Powell and McKnight. You can only do so much in the off season. But, fix the line and the running game will follow.

Our first round draft choice, depending upon the new OC's input, should be a WR. Much like we are seeing with QB's now...colleges are preparing these kids far better and they are much more likely to be able to start. I would have taken A.J. Green's rookie campaign production this year...hands down. We need a WR to compliment Hill. On that note, Hill needs to hit the Jugs machine every single day this coming off season.

Obvious needs but the key is Johnson. He needs to shut it and sit down. He doesn't know football and, most importantly, needs to realize that he is in NY. If he were to LET the football people field a competitive team the revenue would be there! There's been a waiting list for years for season tickets. If the Jets were to field a SB winning team the revenue would be there! Just sit down, shut up and let the football people do what they do.

2. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Great post. I agree with everything. The only thing I would add is to #3 is to see what he can do this season. If he has us in the mix by some divine twist of fate, then I would say keep him and eat Sanchez's contract. If he does significantly worse, eat his contract and eat Sanchez's contract and find a rookie QB for next year. The expectations will be low, but at least people will expect it and be understanding.

3. NFLTime

NFLTime New Member

Some decent points. But there is a zero % chance Chip Kelly is coming to the NFL as an OC. He is a head coach or nothing. I would pursue him. Rexs act has run its course. And we need to begin the process of getting a new QB. We dont have a good one on the roster. I am beyond sick of all the excuses made for sanchise.

4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Great post.

5. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

1) Tebow has value. Trade him at the end of the season.
    2) Get rid of Holmes. 100% confirmed. He should play an individuals sport.
    3) Shore up the Oline. Get smarter and bigger.
    4) Get a productive receiver. "Mr. 3rd down" type player.
    5) Find a premier running back to compliment Greene. Still think Greene has value with back to compliment his straight forward style of running. It starts to wear on defenses in second half and late in season/ post season.
    6) Find QB to build with, properly. Maybe, on the bench for first season while he watches Sanchez try to figure it out.
    7) Find out if Revis can still ball at a high level. See if Revis can remain a member of the Jets. Otherwise find another ball hawk.
    8) Start finding replacements for aging corps of leaders in Scott, Thomas, Pace

6. vonbonds

vonbonds Member

Amazing post mezzavo. Please call into SiriusXM's "Moving the Chains" now with T-Rock and PK to get them talking about this. You are spot on with all of your observations in my opinion.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Rex better learn how to coach NFL offenses, otherwise he won't survive with the Jets. Take a summer off defenses Rex, we know your a top 5 defensive mind. It's time to become a well-rounded coach. Offense, defense, special teams.

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Or we could move the team to Los Angeles.

Probably just as likely to happen as all the above.

9. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

No kidding! LOL!! Honestly I'd be happy to have a few of them. But, those were simply my solutions.

You are probably right about Chip Kelley but, as you also mentioned, it's worth a shot. But that merely signifies my thought process. I'd go for some decent "top gun" in the college ranks. Someone who isn't afraid to let it all hang out and balls to the wall.

I really am not sure how much value Tebow will bring. When he was out there only Jacksonville had much interest. But, you never know. He MIGHT bring a 7th rounder but I wouldn't waste a great deal of time on it.

Also, I still think we have a serviceable running game if the o-line is upgraded. As well, that will only help the passing game too. There is only so much that can be done in a single off season but, to me, WR is a far bigger need than RB at the moment. Of course, RB could be looked at in the later rounds...but just setting my priorities for this off season only.

You know...I'd call into the various Sirius shows...I listen to a bunch of them. Really like the P.K. one. Problem...every single person who calls in it seems they are on hold for hour(s)! I don't have that kind of time to simply bullshit football!!!! :breakdance:

10. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

11. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Chip Kelly would NEVER come and be the Jets O coordinator.

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Lots of good points. I agree with most, and believe QB, Oline, offensive playmaker are our top 3 priorities in order, followed by TE, LB, and S.
    I also agree that if we improve the line, the running game will follow. No top pick needed at RB unless it is a great opportunity for a unique player.

Absolutely i keep Rex here. Upgrading the OC would be good.
    Where i think your plan falls short however..., it does not address the QB position except removal of Tebow. Sanchez is shot. It's time to rebuild the offense starting now. I don't see many great options in the draft though, and that is where we need to find one.

13. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

to succeed in the modern NFL you need, in order of preference, (i) a top tier QB; (ii) an elite D.

we just had to keep rolling the dice until we finally get (i) - other franchises have had 2 or 3 such players, surely we are due 1 at some point?

14. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

You were ok until the Chip Kelly comment. He may be coming to the NFL but only as a head coach.

15. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

how do you think the blind allegiance that rex is currently showing to sanchez is going to affect the locker room?

ive never been in an nfl locker room but i know at the level i played continuing to run a guy who was consistently bad out onto the field to fail over and over again would always drop the level of intensity of the rest of the team.

16. YOYOYO

YOYOYO Active Member

When it comes to the jets it's the glaring need for offensive playmakers. The only guy close to being a playmaker for his position is Keller. Other than him you have no other big time threats. Look around the league even the horrible teams have at least one playmaker Chiefs (Charles) Jags (jones-drew) Raiders (McFadden) etc... The D has played well enough to win but the offense is completely inept. This offseason needs to be focused on getting playmakers on offense and probably a new QB.

17. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Really good post. To add on, if not Chip Kelly then someone who has experience developing QBs for now and in the future. To add on, after this offseason and the following season, I say we draft a QB if another young playmaker on offense and the improved OL don't improve Sanchez. This is just adding on.

Great post though

18. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't even consider Keller a big playmaker compared to other TD. We miss the HR threat for multiple reasons, OC, WR, QB, OL.

19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

thanks for your insight,,,,,,the problem I see is how on earth do you keep the Snyders / Jones' and Woodys of the world from meddling ? Woody does not get as out front and vocal as those guys but I can see him telling Rex n Tanny real soon if not by next Thursdays game that THEY MUST PLAY TEBOW

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

Great post, but one thing I think should happen is a change in GM. Tanny has shown that he can not evaluate talent and even his cap moves have been extremely questionable (paying David Harris money Partick Willis should be getting, the guaranteeing of Scotts and Paces contracts for Nnamdi and Sanchez's contract this offseason just to name a few).

We need a real football guy who knows the game, knows how to evaluate talent and is experienced with great franchises (Ravens, Giants, Pats, Packers, 49ers). Along with this, we need to turnover the the scouting department because thats long overdue.

I also like Rex as a coach, love his style of play, but I just don't know if it will work. We need an elite defense (top 3), elite run game/OLine (top 3), very good special teams, and at the very least a QB who is average.

Our defense is not elite, and with Revis's situation a complete question mark and no pass rush its tough envisioning them in the top 3 within 2-3 years. Our OLine needs 2 future guards and a RT, and by the time that is rebuild, Brick and Mandold will be 30 or older. We obviously dont have the future at the QB position on the roster and this is going to be the hardest position to fill. Add in that our ST's has been suspect this year and Westoff is retiring and its tough envisioning Rex putting together a contender within 2 years or so.

Rex inherited a very talented roster and brought in a new, aggressive defense. The league has adjusted to Rex's defense and he's become less aggressive.

All in all, its beyond a tough situation.