If Tebow started for Jacksonville, will they still suck?

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by Diddy, Nov 4, 2012.

1. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

You have a little bit of a good point in that players do play better for a good leader. That said, they also play better for a guy whom they know has the tools to put the team on his back if need be. The best QBs have both good leadership and good skills which allow the whole team to respond.

2. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, let me clarify. He did his best when the defense didn't let the score jump more than 2 possessions high. Not that 2 possession games in general, but the defense making sure in no possible scenario it got above two possessions. JAX can't do that. He went 5-1 went the defense allowed 16 or less. He went 2-3 when they didn't last year. Easisest way to beat that DEN/TEbow team was to score 17 or more and I don't see the JAX defense holding teams to 17 or less to allow the game to be brought down to one late drive.

Exactly. JAX defense isn't going to keep games close. Tebow will have to throw often and lot. He has not shown, along with probably 2/3 of the QBs in the league, you can't expect him to carry teams throwing the ball. It's a slight on him, but it's a problem most QBs have except the 4-5 that can consistently do it.

I'm not discounting it, but Tebow and DEN went 5-1 when the defense held teams to 2 possessions or less and 2-3 when they didn't. That shows me that putting Tebow in the best position to win would be to keep games low scoring, not participate in shootouts. I'm not discounting those 2 wins, but they came with 3 losses and 5-1 looks much much better than 2-3.

Tebow played much better in close, low scoring games than shootouts. I don't think JAX can put him that position, thus I don't think he makes JAX a playoff team. That's logical progression, not backflips.

Again, I don't get what's so bad about me saying he played his best in close,low scoring games. That's a fact. He played his worst (back to back pick 6s, fumbles, etc) when shootouts occurred. Yes he won 2 games this way, but lost 3. That pales in comparison to the 5-1 record in close games. So if I was building a team around Tebow, I would want a really strong defense, something that JAX does not have. This seems logical to me.

3. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

That's some pretty circular logic you have trapped yourself into...

Tebow is not a good QB because he can't bring a team back from a 3 possession deficit.

A good QB does not get behind by 3 possessions.

If you don't see how this doesn't make sense, then...

... break...

I explained that I threw in the 2 possession games to demonstrate the limited amount of time it took for a Tebow-led team to overcome the double digit point lead.

#83 Backup QB, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  4. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

When did I say this?

5. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

You didn't. But you appeared to have cosigned the person who did. Either way, you butted into a discussion that didn't involve you. Now you are involved. Welcome to someone else's problem.

6. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

So you basically had no point. Cool

7. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

You're collateral damage.

8. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Word out of Jax is that the Blaine Gabbert experiment is over for this season, Gabbert is going on IR. Chad Henne is going to start for them for the rest of the season. And according to unnamed sources (LOL) in the Jax facility, he will be released at the end of the year.

Chad Henne should of started for them in the first place, though Jets fans should worry about the Jax game coming up because Chad Henne has won games against the Jets before.

#88 Diddy, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  9. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Henne is better than Gabbert. The knock on Henne is that he may be mediocre. Possible given to throwing interceptions.

The knock on Gabbert is that he's terrible. And it's an indictment on the quarterback evaluation process that he went so high.

You have to be able to throw, but you also have to be able to play football. I don't get why these people think someone who was never dominant in college is going to start being dominant in the NFL. The NFL selects from among the dominant players -- the question is who among the dominant can translate to the NFL, not who might start being dominant for the first time.

10. Jetsetter34

Jetsetter34 New Member

my 10 year old is better than gabbert. seriously. not kidding.

11. danangmarine68

danangmarine68 New Member

After last night, I bet he's better than Sanchez as well.

12. mr.bojangles

mr.bojangles New Member

Give Tebow a chance

When I see someone like Eli Manning evolve into a top-tier qb, I can't help but think about just how awful he was earlier in his career. He was, in my opinion, one of the worst qb's I've ever seen for the 1st 2 years of his career. His accuracy has greatly improved, and he may end up in the HOF.
    Tim Tebow is heads and shoulders better than Eli was at the beginning of his career, but for some reason, he hasn't had the same chance to develop and realize his full potential yet.
    Last year in Denver, he proved that he is a winner. He took a 1-4 team that was going nowhere, and finished the regular season 7-4 with a division title. It was easily the most exciting football to watch in the NFL last season. Then, in the playoffs against the Steelers, he showed everyone that he can throw the football. The Steelers hadn't allowed a receiver to gain 100 yards against them all season. Demarius Thomas had more than 100 yards against them in the 1st half, and finished with over 200 yards receiving. The Tebow haters to this day point out that the Steelers had injuries. While that's true, Tebow was throwing on cornerback Ike Taylor, their starting cornerback, who is still their starting cornerback.
    The next game against the Patriots, Tebow didn't have a good game. I don't think any qb would have with the way the offensive line wasn't blocking. Most qb's would have gotten knocked out the way he was getting hit. However, to the critics, this was somehow proof that Tebow can't play quarterback. Perhaps the happiest person after that loss was the gm, john elway. The hatred that john elway (no caps intentional) has had for him was obvious. The dejection on elway's face after Tebow ran for the winning td against the Jets was blatantly obvious. It looked like someone had stolen elway's boyfriend from him. I really believe that elway was jealous of the love that the fans had for him.
    To those who say that elway could only get a 4th rounder for him, I believe that's because everyone knew how badly elway wanted him gone.
    I realize that Peyton Manning is an upgrade for the Broncos. I believe Peyton would be an upgrade for ANY team. He is one of the best to ever play the game.
    I was really hoping that Rex Ryan was going to give Tebow a chance, and it's a shame that he hasn't. We could have been the most exciting team in the league, and a real threat to win the whole thing. I'd been reading that Ryan likes a ground and pound type of offense. If that's true, what better qb than Tebow is there for that? Look at what Tebow did for Willis McGahee's career last year. The Broncos led the NFL in rushing last year, and Tebow only started the last 11 games. Prior to him starting, the only thing the Broncos would have led the NFL in would have been in games lost.
    At 4-7, it's too late for Tebow to get the Jets to the playoffs. Ryan need look no further than the nearest mirror for someone to blame. I believe that he'll never start Tebow this year for fear that if Tebow does well, everyone will want to know why he sat him while Sanchez was playing so poorly. His "I thought Mark Sanchez gave us the best chance of winning" line would be met with knee-slapping laughter. As it should.........