2012 Week 10 - New York Jets @ Seattle Seahawks Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Oct 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

How do the Jets score on Seattle???

I see the chances of a Jet win as no better than one in ten.

2. TheGreenCantona

us beating Pats would surprise me

3. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Why? We came pretty close to beating them on the road, no reason to write them off at home.

4. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Going to be like Sandusky's first shower in the joint...

5. mindsink

mindsink New Member

Seahawks fan here.

I have to say, I'm pretty surprised at all the doom and gloom attitudes I'm reading in this thread. I think this game will be closer than most think, and we do not deserve to be touchdown favorites against anyone.

Here are some reasons why I think the Jets keep this close, and may win this game:

1. Seattle's defense has looked questionable since the 2nd half of the TNF game vs the 49ers. We've been getting killed with short, over the middle passes -- our LBs are not great in pass coverage. You saw this in SF, and you saw this in Detroit. Also, our secondary has been torched twice for almost 400 yds in the past four games (Brady, Stafford). Yes, we patched it up vs Ponder (only 63 yds passing), but Ponder is terrible. And while we shut down the Vikings pass game, we got lit up by Adrian Peterson.

2. Given time, Sanchez can look good throwing the ball downfield. I saw some of that vs Houston, and vs the Patriots. If Seattle's defense doesn't get after him, he will have all day to throw. Perplexingly, we rushed 4, and sometimes 3 against Stafford, and he lit up our secondary like the 4th of July sky. We can't do that vs Sanchez.

3. Wildcat/Trick plays -- I predict Rex Ryan will try at least one trick play, maybe a fake punt or FG. The Rams pulled one off against us and scored a TD off it. I've seen the Jets successful on at least one fake punt with Tebow involved in the play in some fashion.

My 2 cents.

6. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Nice post, mindsink. Those are some good points and I think it could be a close game. Honestly I think the Jets can win it...but can and will are two very different things.

I'm anticipating a loss but would be happy with a win. Not really over the moon since then we'll be 4-5 which isn't exactly something to be proud of. If we're going to have a hope in hell of making the playoffs we have to win in Seattle and at home against the Pats. That puts us at 5-5 with a pretty soft six other teams to play, winning 4/6 of those might get us in. If we lose against Seattle and/or the Pats I think we're done unless we somehow run the table against the other six teams, which wouldn't be impossible but I wouldn't bet on it.

I'm kind of in the frame of mind of if we don't win in Seattle that we're better served to just lose out the rest of the season and get a better draft spot instead of finishing maybe 7-9 with a few meaningless wins and end up middle of the pack in the draft order.

7. Potzer

Potzer New Member

Field position, and defense.

8. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I wouldn't put the chances as low as one in ten, but they're certainly not good. We need to stick to the run all day. Seattle is horrible against the run ... giving up 4.4 ypa. I don't care if they put all 11 guys in the box ... under no circumstances would I allow Sanchez to throw the rest of the season down the toilet ... and if given the chance, there's no doubt that's exactly what he'll do gainst that Seattle pass rush and secondary.

We need to play this like the Colts game. Take the ball out of Sanchez' hands as much as possible, hope for some positive yards on the ground, rely on a few plays from defense ans special teams, and hope that they blink before we do.

#128 truthbtold, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  9. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Counterpoint: Sanchez has struggled with his accuracy on this type of throw all year.

Counterpoint: there's really no reason to expect that Seattle won't be able to get after Sanchez. The Jets pass protection is average at best.

I'm sure we'll try a trick play, but the Wildcat (or whatever you want to label the Tebow package) has been incredibly ineffective for us all year.

At the end of the day, this is just a really bad matchup for the Jets. A lot of things have to go wrong for Seattle to give us a chance to win.

10. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

1. Mark Sanchez is just as terrible as Christian Ponder. We also have nobody anywhere near the talent that is Adrian Peterson on the roster.

2. Don't worry about it because Mark Sanchez is not Matthew Stafford. You can get to him and rattle him by sending only four.

3. Okay, cool, but that won't be enough because we only run the Wildcat 2-3 times a game and it's always the same damn thing.

As a Seahawk fan you can't be negative playing any team at home, especially this one. Oh, and didn't you win the New England and Minnesota games and come damn close to beating Detroit? Relax. You've got this.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I am surprisingly optimistic about this one. I think the Jets bounce back with a win here. I think they get back to relying on their defense and winning ugly.

I am not underestimating Seattle, as they are a very resilent, hard-fighting football team but I think the Jets will step up and respond Sunday.

- I think Russell Wilson will struggle against this D. I could see him making a few costly mistakes. Maybe a day like 9/23 115 Yards, 0TD 2INTS

-I think Sanchez will step it up, playing on the West Coast where he's comfortable against his former coach. Maybe a day like 18/30 278yards 1TD 0INTS

I could see an efficient, some might say ugly 24-10 win, of which the Jets follow up with a classic stinker LOSS in STL next week.

12. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Where are you sitting? I'll be just above the Jets' tunnel.

13. truthbtold

I was with you until you got to the part about Sanchez.
    278 yards and 0 INT's against THAT group? NO SHOT.
    For the record ... In his last 11 games, Sanchez has 15 INTs and 9 fumbles.

14. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

20-6 Seattle. Defense shuts us down, Lynch runs all over our poor-tackling D, and we crawl to St. Louis off of a loss.

15. The_Darksider

I almost flew out there, going to St. Louis the week after instead.

16. The_Darksider

Blackmon is with Jacksonville. Tate is who you mean. And Miller stinks.

17. truthbtold

I TAKE IT BACK.
    The stats are skewed by giving up 313 rushing yards to Adrian Peterson and Frank Gore. They've actually been very good stopping everyone else on the ground.

We dont have Peterson or Gore.
    We have Shonn Greene ... and Mark Sanchez.
    We're in BIG trouble on Sunday.

#137 truthbtold, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  18. The_Darksider

8-8 looks like a longshot at this point - I think most of us would sign right now to finish 8-8 - provided of course you aren't rooting for the better draft pick. Going 8-8 every year is far worse than going 2-14 twice.

19. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Our O is gonna get raped, Our D will get run on at will and play action will continue to kill us. 20-6 Seahawks.

20. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

24 TO in 11 games. Seattle D must be so excited to Sanchez coming to town.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.