JARVIS JONES or MANTI TE'O, the only Defensive choices in Rd 1

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Nov 5, 2012.

1. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

As I predicted in mid July with my 1st and only, so far, Jet's mock draft; the Jets would finish with a disappointing season around a 6-10 record.

If the Jets go defense in Rd 1, Jones and Te'o are the only 2 players that should be considered.

Jarvis Jones is an unbelievable talent and probably will be drafted in the Top 5 and the Jets may need 4/5 wins to have a chance.

Te'o may should be available to the Jet's in the 5- 10 range. I rarely use the phrase "can't miss" , Te'o is that can't miss player that will lead a defense for a decade.

Both players have NFL stardom in their future, great players that purely dominate.

For the Mingo fans, please don't even consider drafting him, he's an utter disappointment this year. Star L. will be long gone and I really don't want to invest in a nose tackle when our LB group is almost on Medicaid.

A wildcard would be Dee Milliner, CB, Bama, I agree it isn't a current need, but if Jones and Te'O are gone, Milliner could be the BPA. A terrific man to man coverage back, that has skills similar to Revis. Also, Jet fans are going to have to accept that 2013 is going to be Revis' last year as a Jet. Tanny's contract gave Revis an out from the Jets and is URFA in 2014.

Just some points I've been thinking about to share with you guys. Jones & Te'o should be the #1 targets on defense.

2. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I would kill to see Manti Te'o in green and white. Literally....

3. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Cosigned.

I agree Teo & Jones are the class of this group. If those two aren't available there will be plenty of directions on offense the FO can go.

4. laxin

laxin Active Member

These two are the best of the class when it comes to defense.... I would LOVE either one on this team. It would be difficult choosing between the two because obviously they are completely different-

Jones on one hand is the best passrusher of the class and would fill a HUGE need and add elite upside to the OLB position. He struggles a little bit with athletic tackles, but thats mostly because he doesnt use a counter/inside move as much as he should. Once he learns that, he can really be dominant.

Te'O is just a straight up beast. I feel like he has the lowest ceiling in the entire draft. I just dont see this kid failing to be a superstar. He has great instincts, leadership abilities, athleticism... everything you want in a ILB. Only problem is, is that ILB isnt as big of a need as OLB, but it would be too hard to pass up.

If either of these players where in green and white next year I would be extremely happy. They are the only 2 defensive players (assuming we are drafting in the top 10) that I would want us to draft.

5. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Jones

filler

6. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Star is clearly the best defensive player, for his size, plays like a player 100 lbs lighter.

Jones and Te'o aren't that far behind, all three players are the best at their current defensive positions.

Since Jones is more of an immediate impact player (sacks), the NFL rates them higher than ILBs, Jones will be drafted before Te'o. This doesn't mean Jones will be the better NFL player, just the importance of how the NFL ranks players.

7. Petey

Petey Active Member

I'd be extremely happy with either of them. I wonder what offensive players y'all would draft (if there are any) over Jones or Te'o when the Jets are ready to draft.

8. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

There is no offensive player I would draft over Jones and Te'o, and it's not even close.

The Jets will have to be drafting in the 3 (Jones)-8 (Te'o) range to have a chance at Jones or Te'o.

I understand the Jets need for offensive playmakers, but there is no offensive prospects I value more than Jones and Te'o.

Keenan Allen hurt his knee and his status is up in the air. The Jets just aren't going to draft a Barkley or Smith, Sanchez' contract doesn't make it viable. I could see us signing a vet FA QB to challenge Sanchez.

If the Jets lose out on Jones and Te'o, the offensive players I would consider would be Chance Warmack G, Taylor Lewan OT , Jake Matthews OT or Terrance Williams WR.

9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

what do you think of another ND player- Tyler Eifert.

10. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I have him in my top 25, great red zone target, smart player, he's a little soft... I would like him to be more physical.

Probably will be drafted in late Rd 1.

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I'd like to see him pair up w/ Keller to give us a poor man's version of NE's dynamic duo at TE

12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

It would be a great combo, but Keller and Eifert our very similar. I don't see us going anywhere near a TE in round one or even two this year. remember Gronk was a second and hernandez at 5th rounder. If we did this we would have two first round picks at the TE, both of whom are decent blockers at best.

WW85, I assume your saying those are the only two because we will not be high enough to draft Lotulelei. If we continue to play anything like last week we may have a shot at him.

Jones is a beast and I would love to have him. Te'o looked very good in the couple ND games I watched so far.

I love both of Bamas guards, Warmack is a monster and would be wonderful in the running game from day one. I also like thier back Lacy. If we went Warmack in 1 and Lacy in round two I think that would go a long way to getting the offense Rex and Tony want. We do not have the personal on the line to have a run based offense this season.

13. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I'm ALL for drafting as many Alabama players as we possibly can! Enough with players from small schools who play against below average competition. I want players from big time programs that play against the elite competition.

14. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Harp,

Star is going in the top 2, he's that good.

Carolina, Cleveland or Jax would be insane to pass on Star.

Te'o looks good in every game he plays, he' the leader of ND's defense.

Warmack is one of the best guards to come out in 10 years, even better than DeCastro last year, he may go in the top 10.

I like Lacy, but for some reason if Gio Bernard falls into early Rd 2, it's a no brainer.

The best Alabama player this year is Dee Milliner CB and he's going to be drafted in the 5-10 range.

15. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Good Problem, the Jets will be drafting probably in the 6-12 range and Eifert would be a reach in Rd 1 and like Harp said we aren't going to address TE in rd 1.

16. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I've seen all of his games on the college level....here is what I wrote heading into the year.

TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame

NFL Comparison: Dustin Keller(I'd say he might be closer to Owen Daniels though)

Eifert barring something crazy happening this upcoming year will look to be yet another Notre Dame TE to get drafted and to follow the former Irish tight ends of Anthony Fasano, John Carlson and Kyle Rudolph. Now of the four, right now I'd say strictly from what I've seen out of the four i'd rank Rudolph at 1, Eifert at 2, Fasano at 3 and Carlson at 4 but its still very premature. Eifert's a good prospect and can be a starter on offense for whoever drafts him but Rudolph has such ridiculous upside that he can be in that Graham/Gronkowski tier IMHO, which Eifert I just don't think can reach.

What I love about Eifert is his allusiveness and how he has such great fluidity that he almost strikes you of playing like a WR even though he has the body frame of a TE. He's a guy whose willing to take a hit, can deliver some yards after catch if given the ball with enough space and at this point is a very tough guard for any safety or linebacker in college(He's way ahead of everyone when it comes to these matchups). Eifert was honestly good enough to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick this year and to take advantage of a mediocre tight end class had he come out but I do think he made a smart decision in staying because he can now be the man on offense along with Wood and that he can only raise his stock up barring an injury of course.

Now the two questions that we will need to see get answered are if Eifert can improve his run blocking for Cierre Wood this year as he's been hit and miss in this department and obviously will need to improve upon this to get NFL teams talking. Likewise, with Michael Floyd in the NFL, Eifert now finds himself as the go to target of the Irish which is both a good and bad thing. Good in the sense that whoever the Irish quarterback is, Eifert will be the guy depended upon to move the chains. Bad in the sense that without Floyd serving as a decoy sometimes and allowing others to improve, now Eifert will be game planned and can possibly see double teams which is something he has yet to draw in his collegiate career. What may sadly hurt Eifert is his numbers might not tell the story of how good he might be for the Irish this season but that may fall on the quarterback whoever it may be. No matter what Eifert may or may not do, it'll be up to Golson or Rees or Hendrix or Kiel(Whoever) to deliver him the ball and who knows if any of the four can step in and deliver.

As of now, I still think Eifert should go in round 3 but if he takes the jump like plenty expect him too, he should solidify a spot in the 2nd round and to be one of the first TEs to go off the board....possibly maybe even tempting a team like Atlanta to take him in round 1 for fear of him not being around in round 2 to be the Gonzalez replacement if Tony G hangs it up. That doesn't seem likely though just because the need of a TE just isn't big nowadays unless its a can't miss prospect and Eifert just isn't that. I put him as a Keller type because I still need to see Eifert go to town on the blocking side of things because he's definitely NFL ready as far as a receiving threat goes. Very similar to Dustin Keller in that Keller doesn't offer a ton as a blocker but is so elusive and can shed away from opposing safeties/linebackers with ease and make some plays happen. I do however think that if Eifert improves in all the aspects of the game as a tight end, we can see him have a similar career to Owen Daniels of the Houston Texans. However, for the purpose of right now I will stick with the Keller comparison. Won't be a superstar tight end in the league but he will be a threat on the offense and be one of the go to guys on a team.

If Eifert improves upon the run blocking, don't be shocked if Tony Sparano makes a bid in the 2013 war room to get Eifert in round 2 if he's around. Keller's a FA and Sparano may just want a bigger and stronger target at tight end. Sparano was a big fan of Fasano in Miami and Eifert is just a more athletically gifted player and if he can get around Fasano's great run blocking will beat Fasano in every aspect.

Now I can comment on what he has done this year....I don't see him as soft, its just that he's being double teamed by teams this year like with what we saw for M. Floyd last year and as such our Wrs like TJ Jones and Touma and a few others have feasted as a result. Add that we have been using a run first QB and its why Eifert's numbers are not gougy and I can see him dropping to round 2 unless a team like Atlanta takes him strictly on need. He has also really, really taken strides in run blocking and its great to see. Still not elite by any means but its night and day when it comes to the 2010 season compared to now in the section.

17. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm almost in favor of trading back if Te'o and Jones are both off the board, Milliner is possible, but I think he may be gone if the Jets draft in the 8-11 range. Of course part of that depends on who is ahead of us in the draft.

18. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Wow as for this thread....is it safe to say WW85 is a bigger Irish fan than me....or at least a Te'o fan?

As for defensive players.....be on the lookout for D. Moore of Texas A&M as a potential pick for us if we pick in the 10-15 spot which I think is more likely. Te'o might be too enticing for the Raiders to pass up on, and J Jones and Jacksonville are a great marriage. Moore is just what the doctor ordered for us in regards to a quick, elusive pass rusher and I think he's someone that should not be slept on as far as a Jets target in round 1 goes.

19. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

If Jarvis Jones is available when the JETS are OTC, then let it be so. I didn't put him in my mock only because I'm convinced he'll be long gone when our name is called.

However, drafting Teo means David Harris is gone after the 2013 season, - doesn't it?
    I know he's on the 2014 season books for $4.9 milllion, but we can't really get all 3 inside LBs (D. Harris, D. Davis and M. Teo) on the field at the same time. But Harris being gone may not be the worse thing as I think his play is dropping rapidly after 6 seasons.

**I just hate the fact that due to a very poor drafting philosophy during the 2008-2010 draft period that we have such other GLARING needs that doesn't necessarily allow us the luxury of drafting via BPA.

20. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

WW, I am gonna be honest I want star or jones. My thought process is simple, with star I stand q up. With jones he is our olb, thats the bigger need. I cant see us winning shit this year so lets get the number two pick. If we win a few games and pick eight then what did we solve..star is just so dominant and I have been hyping him for awhile now.