Eagles QB Situation vs. Jets QB Situation

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by JFjets, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Jetsetter34

Jetsetter34 New Member

you are too stupid for words.

2. Jetsetter34

Jetsetter34 New Member

Yet one is starting and winning acolades... and the other sits on the bench behind one of the worst QB's in the league. Gee.. I wonder why?

3. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Here is a problem, once Ron Rivera gets fired and a new GM and coach comes in place, Newton can be gone and backing up some crappy QB too. I still think his rookie year was a flash in the pan.

4. JFjets

JFjets New Member

I'll be happy to let you have the accolades. I'll take the game WINS.

5. Jetsetter34

Jetsetter34 New Member

yeah he's kicking ass in wins this year.

6. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Why is everybody assuming that if Tebow starts he will win? Last time I checked Sanchez has a winning record as a starter and won 4 ROAD playoff games. This situations is totally different than Denver last year. Orton was 6-20 as a starter, yet he was voted captain and given the starting job one day after he was on the trade block. Orton was also in the final year of his contract. When Tebow took over Elway thought that they were in the Suck for Luck race.

Sanchez is signed for 5 more years. The season is not assumed lost yet. I say give him Sanchez the benefit of the doubt until we reach loss #8. Then I think the starting job is fair game.

7. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

You wonder why? So do a lot of us, because it doesn't make complete sense.

I'm pretty sure Tebow has more NFL records than Griffin, albeit some of them are not noteworthy. As far as accolades, I don't think Griffin has won any yet, other than perhaps player of the week honors or something to that effect?

Regardless, that is a poor argument. Tebow sitting on the bench has more to do with the fear he instills in coaching staffs/front offices, due to his popularity. It has more to do with Sanchez's contract. It has more to do with football politics. But yes, his completion percentage is also a factor, I'm sure.

8. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

we have given sanchez the benefit of the doubt for 40 games and he has been awful.

whats worse is that he has actually DECLINED recently. why wait for sanchez to lose the next 3 games and be 3-8 when we can roll tebow out and see id he can possibly light a spark.

at 3-5 and playing horribly, thats not when guys just miraculously get fired up by continuing to roll onto the field with no changes.

9. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i can not fathom why completion percentage is an issue. I mean, if Tebow was playing behind like an alex smith or someone who completed well over 60% of their passes, sure i could see it being an issue then. But sanchez is like 29th or 30th in the league in completion percentage. tebow isnt going to be much worse, and provides far more benefit outside of that.

10. JFjets

JFjets New Member

Top 5 winning % among the 21 QB's drafted who have played significant starting time in the last 5 years.

11. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

It has a little to do with football politics. Probably a little to do with having to change the offense to fit him instead of just plugging and playing. Probably has little to do that Rex and Sparano weren't expecting him and every fan though Sanchez/Stanton/McElroy made sense going into the season. It probably has to do with that Tebow hasn't looked good in practice. It probably has to do with he hasn't looked good in practice but you start him anyways and try to build a new offense in the bye week for him and teach that to the whole offense? It's probably because of all of those things INCLUDING Tebow's poor performance and play and evaluation in practices. If he played lights out maybe he might be starting, but changing the offense for him is a lot of work to take a risk for changing QBs.

Lots of qualifiers, and wins are a QB stat now? Nobody has answered this, because if you say yes then you have to give Sanchez credit for his wins and nobody wants to do that. If you say no, you undercut your own argument saying look at this QB's wins! Rock and a hard place.

12. catsigater

catsigater New Member

Appears that stat includes Sanchez. If so, then he does get credit for his wins.

13. John Chisum

John Chisum Banned

Tebow might be the type that never really looks good in practice. I'm speculating here. Cause you can't and don't go all out in a football practice like you might in some other sports. Tebow is not a finesse qb and he may never look good in practice. He even looks bad in some games til the 4th quarter, but the Broncos still came through.
    Practice, practice, we're talking about practice? Not the game.-Allen Iverson Sorry I could not resist one of my favorite rants ever.

14. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

I think the problem is that if he does not do well in practice but good in the game that might be fine for him but its not for his team mates. The team has to be a cohesive unit during practice (obviously).

However Its never been said by any coach or player that he does not do well in practice, its always been speculated on as one of the reasons he was 4th on the depth chart in Denver and is riding hard pine in Jets....but no one really knows.

15. John Chisum

John Chisum Banned

Those are good points.

16. Bannon

Bannon New Member

I think he also benefits greatly from practice -- he needs a lot because he learns that way. He needs reps, reps, reps, and with the same players. He's working on rhythm, timing, anticipation, and reads. He benefits from practice, and he hasn't really had much.

Because of the new CBA, there's really only 2 days of practice during the season. And it's pretty light work.

17. JFjets

JFjets New Member

Generally QB's in the NFL are measured for greatness (or lack of) at the end of their careers by their W/L record and their performance in big games, not because of their fantasy football "completion %" stats. And yes, the stat I quoted does give credit to Sanchez for his wins. Of course there are many factors that go into determining whether a QB is good or not. But today most people want to crown the "fantasy football" stat kings as the good QB's in real life in the NFL, and it sure as heck doesn't always work that way. I'm just saying, give me the guy with the better win/loss record and you can have the guy with the pretty completion % stats but more losses than wins.

Does the QB do it all by himself in the NFL? Not usually. You have to evaluate the guys with more wins than losses individually to determine their real value/quality relative to the help they get from the rest of their team. Sanchez benefited a lot from a top flight defense his first few years in the league. Tebow's defense in Denver last year had a few really good games and quite a few really bad ones, so from a comparison standpoint between Sanchez and Tebow, I'm giving the edge to Tebow. With a defense last year that wasn't so great and this year that isn't so great, Sanchez doesn't look as good as his W/L record the first few years in the league. We've already seen what Tebow can do with a mediocre to bad defense. Think of what he could accomplish with the top 5 defense Sanchez had the first few years.

#57 JFjets, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  18. Jetsetter34

Jetsetter34 New Member

it has more to do with his inability to play an nfl style of football and the unbelievably hard task of putting together an entire offense built around his skill set. Nobody is going to go "all in" when going all in means changing your entire offensive scheme. A team would have to build for 2-3 seasons to get enough people around him to make him successful, they dont get that kind of time. You get 2-3 seasons at most to win in this league. Even Tebow's staunchest allies say he needs to have a different offense than the one's he has been asked to run. Do you think anyone wants to put their job on the line for Tebow when there are plenty of college, nfl retreads that fit the system they already have in place?

19. John Chisum

John Chisum Banned

I agree that it does hurt Tebow that he plays the position different than anyone else. That alone would give him less opportunities in the league. I think Backup qb has some good points too though. Which is the biggest factor? I don't know, but they all make sense.

#59 John Chisum, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  20. Jetsetter34

Jetsetter34 New Member

Thats just it... he doesnt. He plays the same way Vick, Young, Cunningham, Vince Young, RG3, and Newton play. He is a threat with his legs. Except he doesnt rely on speed (neither did steve young) he relies on his size. His problem isnt the fact that he's a duo/threat QB, his problem is he is only a single threat QB. He can't pass well enough to be considered a threat in that category, sure he had a nice game every now and then but so do a lot of people that arent really good qb's over the long haul. KOLB anyone?

His average game was a 47% completion rate with around 170 yards passing and 1 TD. Thats not a threat.

His detractors arent the only ones that didnt buy that win streak or his ability to be a long term starting QB.

It truly appears as though nobody wanted him to play football. Only the Jets and the JAgs offered anything and now it seems like the Jets were forced to by Johnson because he wants the press in a town where it has been 43 years since his team has won shit and the Giants have two SB in the last 5 years. And it was well know the coaches in jax didnt want him.