Jets DT Mike Devito Mentions Tebow and the locker room

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by CowboysFan, Oct 30, 2012.

1. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

I just heard an interview with Mike Devito on the Sirrius Blitz on NFL radio conducted by Rich Gannon and Adam Schein.

The last question of the interview centered around the locker room and issues they had last year and how they were corrected this year. Mike cited the fact that they had a full off season this time and they engaged in many team building exercises. He then went on to mention one player specifically , he said "when you Bring in a guy like Tebow that is going to help a lot" (paraphrasing)

I thought that was pretty cool that Tebow was the only person mentioned by name and singled out as having a positive impact in the locker room.

2. John Chisum

John Chisum Banned

Attitude is everything. It's contagious also. In bad times like what the Jets are experiencing now, you can't have enough of those kind of guys. Too many bad attitudes, and it tips the scales the other way. Otherwise a team will totally lose it. Attitude is the reason Tebow defies the odds and all the haters constant comments. Attitude is the reason Tebow and the Broncos could play poorly for 3 quarters and somehow comeback and win all those games last year.

#2 John Chisum, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  3. elevated84

elevated84 New Member

agree. get rid of guys like holmes who are self serving. bring in guys like tebow who will do anything for the team

4. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I dont think its that cut and dry. You have to have a mix of guys in your lockeroom as the group is not homogenious. I'm not saying we need to have selfish thugs in our locker-room, but there are some. Usually, these are the guys with talent too...Holmes is and always will be a ME FIRST guy. You can have one or two of thoes players and still be sucesfull, too many (like last year) and you blow up!

5. Bannon

Bannon New Member

I was holding my breath while reading the OP, thinking he was going say it's bad in the locker room.

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

That must be one intangible locker room.

7. John Chisum

John Chisum Banned

Make fun of that all you want. But nobody ever goes from good to great without it. There are plenty of people who could have been great but they lack the right intangibles. I'm still learning that myself.

8. Remarker

Remarker Banned

I remember Tim saying, a while back, that watching your team's QB's back when he is struggling is what team mates should do. I haven't found it yet though but I'm still looking.

9. Potzer

Potzer New Member

I expected this as well. It doesn't fit the media narrative they're trying to create now though.

10. Dierking

Tim and I love this shit.

11. John Chisum

John Chisum Banned

They're probably talking about winning again. Something you may have never experienced in life.

12. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

This, we had Mason, Plax, and Tone all on one side of the ball. LT is also coming out as a me first guy recently. If all your veterans are skill first and you go on a slide, you probably saw what we saw last year. People acting like we are 3-13 when we were 8-8

13. John Chisum

John Chisum Banned

The media doesn't truly understand TT. They probably can't fathom the fact that a backup qb sitting the bench for most of the game would actually try to help his teammates (including Sanchez) be better. Even when it hurts Tebow's chances at becoming the starter.

14. Dierking

Serious question. Why is it you are so certain you know so much more about the inner workings, hopes, dreams and aspirations of someone (who's main attribute is admittedly intangible) than professionals whose job it is to cover the team full time? What makes you so insightful?

15. John Chisum

John Chisum Banned

What's your problem dude? You don't have to be a jackass about things. I don't really know. Cause I'm not there. But I follow Tebow fairly closely. I've watched his movies and read his book. It's an insight into who Tebow really is. What his personality is like and what drives him to compete. But I'm not around when Tebow is talking to his teammates. I can only go off of what his teammates say and what Tebow conveys through his outlets.

16. Dierking

Easy tiger. In one breath you say no one understands the guy. Which implies that you do. I want to know why. I have no doubt you are likely correct, that the media is off the mark about him. But where do you get your info? Not from the media obviously? Whats the source of your insight into this guy's head? Explain yourself.

17. John Chisum

John Chisum Banned

I already told you. What Tebow says on camera, in his movies or in his book. Also what his teammates and coaches say about him.

18. Dierking

I guess the media interprets all that some other way.

19. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Actually, much of it would be from the media (of some sort or another). Back when he was in college, much of the media attention was favorable, or at least, neutral. This was back when ESPN first did a documentary about Tebow (thnk it was The Chosen One ?), and there were many other stories out there.

The theme that was stitched through just about everything you heard about Tebow was how selfless and humble he was. You heard it from coaches such as Urban Meyer, from players such as Hernandez and the Pouncey's, from teachers, students, family members and acquaintances.

As Tebow fell under more of a spotlight, you started hearing it from others as well, from media types who interviewed him, or coaches who spent time with him.

The thing is, even his most vocal critics attest to his intangibles, how they are basically off the charts across the board. That's why a guy like Stink bash his QB skills, but still love to have him as a player.

20. John Chisum

John Chisum Banned

I think so. Or they miss some things completely because because they don't have the same upbringing as Tebow. Others may refuse to believe it because it can be popular to hate the guy. Remember Tebow's family have basically given their life to missionary work. He is a very rare athlete because of his background and how he tries to live his life. The guy could be faking it but I don't think he is. This is a guy who is really trying to live his life a certain way in all aspects. And even when the cameras are off, doors are shut and even when it could decrease his playing time. That is my opinion from following him through those outlets I've mentioned.

#20 John Chisum, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012