Five changes for 2013 season...starts with Bill Polian at GM

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

1. Tannenbaum is not being fired
    2. They may bring in a personnel guy and it won't be Polian
    3. No way Andy Reid goes back to being an OC. Some one else will hire him as an HC
    4. Rex stays
    5. Sanchez & Rex are not tied to the hip. Sanchez goes
    6. Upgrade on OL & RB. Defensive personnel is promising
    7. Key relationship is between OC & QB.
    8. New QB that Sparano likes? Or new OC and new QB that new OC likes?
    Either way is less traumatic than a whole new CS

#21 Endlessly Counting, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  2. McFreek

McFreek New Member

For those who say take a rb in the top 5 or even top 10, who do you take? Lattimore just got hurt and is showing to be injury prone. From what i have read lattimore was (supposed to be) the best rb this year and by a wide a margin.

3. The Zman

The Zman New Member

I'll field this one.

The running game isn't predicated by the running back; it's done by the O-line. If you want to improve the running game, you draft guards to open holes for the RB. If the defense isn't making first contact with the RB until after he gets past the D-line, the running game will be successful.

A recent example is the Colts game. With their banged up defense, The JETS O-line opened lanes and blocked like it was 2009, when Faneca was pulling and blocking downfield to lead Jones to 1400 yards. Greene wasn't all of a sudden magic in that game, he's the same player he's always been. Give him lanes and he'll be successful, have him run into a wall at the line of scrimmage and he won't be; same as almost everyone besides Sanders.

Just look through NFL history; the most successful running attack of all time was the 90's cowboys. The reason was that they had the best O-line in the game, and one of the best units ever. The JETS best years were all because of superior O-lines, not amazing RB's.

So to sum up, you don't draft RB's in the 1st round, especially not in the top 5, grab one anywhere, and trade them in for a new one every time they want a new overpriced contract.

The JETS need an upgrade to both Slauson and Moore this draft. Slauson has never been that good, and Moore is just wearing down from age. There's a good crop of Guards coming out his year that should be drafted high, hopefully The JETS can get at least one of them.

4. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Giovani Bernard, UNC, is the next best RB and should be a late rd 1 pick at this point.

5. McFreek

McFreek New Member

That answers my question, a late rd 1 pick. We're getting nowhere near a late 1st rd pick this year so everyone who is saying rb should just be quiet unless we somehow either a) trade back into late 1st or b) trade away one our few KEY pieces to get a late 1 plus our, so far top 10ish pick. My vote for our pick would be Manti Te'o, a stud QB or beast of pass rusher

6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Some morons expect to hit jackpot with every lotto ticket they buy.

Same with 1st round RBs. They expect to find their version of Barry Sanders - when the OL is so deficient. It's not even funny.

All in all, stop trying to inject reason into their collective heads. (Like half of RB's production from the ground is straight from the OL ahead of him, etc.) I've tried my share - and failed miserably already. Save your breath.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

hey guys, I don't know shit about football but I have heard the name Bill Polian, which means he must be great. Let's hire him!

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

We won't pick until #32. He'll be gone by then :beer:

9. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

10. hendersg

hendersg New Member

I like it a lot. Especially giving McElroy a shot. Get Tanny, Rex and Spermano outta here now. Take Sanchez, Greene, Holmes, Cro and Revis with you. The door cant close fast enough with this garbage group...

11. Elijah

Elijah New Member

If you guys wanna trade Revis, I'm sure the Pats would be happy to take him off your hands for pretty much any price.

12. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

I think you need to put it in the context of a real draft. Some RBs are absolutely worth top 5 picks (Peterson, arguably CJ2K, you could even argue McCoy & Rice at this point), but you've got to make sure that you're taking the best RB and not just "the best RB in this draft." Mark Ingram went late in the 1st round and that's fine, but he shouldn't have even been considered for the top 15 picks in that draft. CJ Spiller was a top 10 pick, Ryan Mathews a top 15; they probably should have gone around where Ingram went (28th overall).

You're right, the draft is more an art than a science; there aren't consistently true rules (probably with some exceptions that I can't/don't want to think of right now).

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

5 1sts, 5 2nds, 5 3rds and 5 4ths, and you know you've got a deal.

[But then you did say ANY price, right?]

14. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Even if I thought that Bill Polian was a great GM (and I don't,) the simple fact of the matter is that he'd be gone in 2 years. And, lucky us, we'd inherit his mouthbreathing loser of a son as GM. Look how well that turned out for Indy.

15. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Obviously, whenever you get the chance to hire the architect of the worst team in football (who also happens to be a paranoid egomaniac,) you jump at that opportunity :drunk:

16. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

How about Holmgren as Head coach?

17. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Mike McCoy for HC and draft Zac Dysert to develop him

18. siconik

siconik New Member

Yes, Colts went 2-14 in Polian's last year. Before that, they a nine year stretch where they made playoffs every year, went to 2 SuperBowls, winning one, and AVERAGED 12-4 record... for NINE years. To put that in perspective, during the same span of time the Jets didn't have a single season where they won more than 11 games.

19. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Don't know if he still feels this way but I saw an interview with Holmgren when after he took the Browns job. Stated he was burned out out of coaching & would only come back to football in a non-coaching role. He was throwing it out there to let the media know that there's no way he's gonna fire Mangini just to take over the HC job himself.

20. Ted

Ted Member

Applying more band aids to gaping wounds ain't going to work. The Jets need to gut the team and start over.

Personally, I hope you keep Rex in place. His drafts with Tannenbaum have been awful. His personality has rubbed off on guys like Cromartie, Scott, Maybin, Landry, and all the others that talk shit and can't back it up. He is clueless on the offensive side of the board. Even his defensive prowess is looking only average this season. Just like his daddy, he was sucessful his first couple of years but it is obvious that the locker room no longer believes in him and his system.

I would see what you can get.for Revis in a trade and make a decision based on that. In fact, trade as much as you can for picks, clean up the salary cap money, and look at a complete rebuild over the next 2-3 years.

If I am looking at a GM, John Dorsey, Mark Dominick or Kevin Colbert would get interviews. Someone who is going to bring in an offensive mind that is in sync with todays NFL. Let him select his coach and go from there. May be tough for a couple of seasons but right now they're just throwing shit against the wall to see if it will stick.