Trade Deadline Thursday @ 4PM (moved from Tuesday)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wildaces, Oct 28, 2012.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Again the value you get my moving Sanchez's salary but losing Revis seems like a big loss for us. Instead we eat Sanchez's salary but get multiple high draft picks for Revis instead of undercutting his value seems much better. With the rookie wage scale we can afford those picks and we save the boatload of cash we would have thrown to Revis

2. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Gregg Rosenthal reports that the NFL is considering moving back the trade deadline due to Hurricane Sandy.
    "It is being discussed and we will let the clubs know if a change is made," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told Rosenthal. The original trade deadline was set for Tuesday at 4PM ET, but "multiple" teams have shut down normal operations early this week due to the hurricane. The NFL offices are also closed, which could hinder paperwork approval of transactions. The NFL is hoping to "encourage" more trade action. They moved back the trade deadline two weeks during the offseason, and may do so again in-season.

3. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Ok, lets put it this way.

We cut the salary as proposed, and would equate to $21+ Million. We would have to absorb the signing bonuses already paid. (Sanchez) I am not sure exactly, but I would assume $4 million in 2012, and $4 million in 2013. However could be $2+ million over 3 years. So lets assume $6 million. That would leave approximately $15+ million in salary reduction.

If we were to make the trade, we would be out the best CB in the league, but also lose the arguably worst QB in the league. Since we picked up $15 million we could use that in free agency to fill holes, in addition to all of our draft picks.

Lets fall back a year and ask ourselves, is there any players we couldn't pursue because of our cap issues?

4. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

The Nashville Tennessean reports "indications are" Jared Cook has requested a trade ahead of Tuesday's deadline.
    In the final year of his rookie deal, Cook is apparently amongst the legion of observers miffed at his usage this season. Cook played just 25-of-59 offensive snaps in Sunday's overtime loss, and has been a 50-percent player or worse almost every week since Week 2. He's been targeted only 41 times on the year. Although Cook's trade request is a strong indication he won't be looking to re-sign with the Titans this offseason, they hold all the leverage. He'll likely still be a Titan this time next week.

5. displacedfan

Let's look forward and see are there any players we want to pursue vs a boatload of draft picks we could either use for younger/cheaper players or trade for younger non FA players (Tanny strategy). I just don't see that 15 million covering everything including our QB problem than versus if we traded Revis straight up. I feel like if Revis is getting traded no matter what, you want to isolate him to maximize his value in picks. We do that and I think the boatload of picks > than 15 million saved by trading Sanchez and losing Revis.

Anyone, just realized this is probably null and void. Revis has to remain on the IR if traded I believe, and there is a 99% chance he is going to hold out, so I don't see anyone wanting to trade for him without a new contract on top of taking Sanchez also.

6. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Sign me up. I think this guy is the most underutilized offensive player in the NFL. Great size and hands. He could put up the production of a top TE. No clue why they don't feed him the ball more.

7. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Don't we already have a overrated tight end already?

8. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

Would be a nice 2 TE set.

9. wildaces

wildaces Banned

The sole reason for picking the Redskins as a trade partner. The Albert Haynesworth deal.

What do you believe that we would actually get for Revis? A 1, a 2 & 3, A 1 & 3? We could potentially get a 1 at the most, and lets assume that is correct. We will have a single additional pick, and still have $12+ million tied up in the worst QB in the league.

It appears that our thought process is the same, it is just execution. I believe having the money at our disposal is more important, and you believe higher compensation is more important. Correct?

10. displacedfan

Yes, I think we can get a 1 and additional. Let's say its only a 1, I think that extra middle 1st rounder could be more valuable than overpaying an older player who's going to be a stopgap. If we are serious about building the for the future, the free agent signings will slow down. We aren't at the point where one big signing will fix everything, so why not start building the team up. We have Coples/Wilkerson/ Ellis as a potential DL. Harris, Davis, Wilson Cro, Mangold, Brick, Slauson, Hill, Kerley, Keller.

Unless I'm missing an elite QB that's going to be a FA this offseason, that extra money I don't think will be as helpful.

That extra could be used for a QB. Then we fix the team, fix the QB position, rid Sanchez and we could turn around and have a young QB with a bright future in a year.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The Redskins don't have any first round picks until the next decade or so. They traded them all away for RGIII.

12. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Ah U R in dreamland now. Revis should have been moved before the season when he may have brought us a #1 in return. Now with the knee injury we will be lucky to be offered a #3 or may be even less :sad:

13. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I don't know who will be available in free agency, but I do think we have a higher success rate with free agent acquisitions than draft picks versus as unproven college player. I am a believer in building through the draft, but I don't know how 1 draft pick can overcompensate the monies paid to Sanchez.

That being said, I would have no problem keeping Revis or trading him solely if there was another way to get rid of Sanchez. I am not proposing the trade of Revis for any other reason than getting rid of Sanchez. Just want to clarify.

14. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

update - The NFL has pushed the trade deadline from 4PM ET Tuesday to 4PM ET Thursday.
    The move comes as Hurricane Sandy bears down on the East Coast, forcing multiple clubs (and the league office) to fold up shop on Monday and Tuesday. It's possible the extra 48 hours will encourage more player movement than usual, but there aren't any strong indications the trade market will be any more robust than it's been in years past. Dwayne Bowe and Steven Jackson both have legitimate chances to be dealt, but DeAngelo Williams' odious contract is likely to preclude any move.

15. wildaces

wildaces Banned

There were two different topics involved in that post. I proposed a trade of Sanchez and Revis to the Redskins, hence the first line. Thereafter, I was discussing the actual worth of Revis, and were questions, not statements.

Sorry for the confusion.

16. displacedfan

Completely agree. We both want to rebuild, get away Sanchez, just different ways.

17. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Cool, it was a fun discussion.

18. CurbYourEnthusiasm

How is Keller overrated? When he's healthy he's a 60+ rec/800+ rec yards? That's a top 10 TE.

19. CurbYourEnthusiasm

Just curious, if Vick was handed to us on a silver platter, would you say yes? I think I would.

20. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Not a chance.

His best days are behind him.