Tebow Trade Rumors?

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by BJXX, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Jets31

Jets31 Banned

Tebow gives you the best chance to win until the clock says 00:00. He wont take the sack fumble or throw an interception.

2. BJXX

BJXX New Member

By the way, Mallett will never start (not for long anyhow) under Belichick. I followed him at Arkansas, the guy has a cannon, but he is a mental midget and will crumble under NFL pressure.

3. _Jet_

_Jet_ Member

Genius, do you know the difference between 3rd down and 3rd and short?

4. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

I saw every play he had last year, as I am a Bronco fan. (Live in Denver.)

I came to a different conclusion. 2 observations:

#1. The reason he looked better in the 4th quarter wasn't because the coaches took off the restraining bolt and let Tebow be Tebow. It was because teams dropped back into prevent, giving him time to think. He had time to watch things develop, wasn't panicked into tucking in the ball and running at the first sign of trouble...and it left a lot open for him to run in should everyone be covered. He was actually a pretty good player against that kind of defensive philosophy.. it simply doesn't work on him. Every team that tried it failed unless they racked up 40 points and got a huge lead.

Conclusion to observation #1, I don't believe if they simply turned him loose and let him do his thing, the Broncos would have been scoring at will. I think it is more about the change in defenses at the end of games, which nearly all of them in the league do, and has bitten so many of them in the ass.

#2. He had the clamps put on him to begin with because they didn't trust his throwing. They saw him in practice every day, and if you watched the Miami game and the Detroit game... it left a LOT to be desired. Even in a very vanilla playbook. Fox himself was quoted after the Detroit game as "Enough of this Crap!" Started going to a play something a bit more "Tebow friendly" which involved a LOT more running and less passes. 46% passing doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in coaches, and 46% is generous. It is that high because of the 4th quarter prevent magic... look at his stats through the first 3 quarters, he posts about a 35% average and a really poor QB rating. The same kind of numbers that got Orton canned in the San Diego game, and left JaMarcus Russell unemployed.

Conclusion to #2. They didn't believe in him as a passer and THAT is why the clamps were put on. It wasn't because of Fox's conservative nature, they seem to have been a lot more willing to throw the ball with Orton. I think the treatment he got from the front office after the season pretty much confirms that belief that he simply couldn't run the kind of offense they wanted to run... in a pass happy league.

5. catsigater

catsigater New Member

These are all reasonable inferences from the cited evidence.

6. catsigater

catsigater New Member

He'd be of some value in the information he could give the Jags. Might be worth their while if the Jags were making a playoff run. Since they aren't it wouldn't matter either way.

7. Jester

Jester New Member

I'd like to see him traded so he can get a chance to start. I think if he had been thrown into an every game starting QB role such as Dalton, Gabbert, Ponder, etc. that he would have worked out the bugs and be successful now.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Jets shouldn't trade Tebow, he's too valuable in his slowly increasing roles and I think there's a lot more good that can come from him being on the roster.

Besides, what are they going to get for him? A 4th round pick? Less? Our scouts have enough trouble trying to find talent in the second round, much less later round picks.

Besides, it's fun to drink the tears of his fanboys out of a German-made pewter goblet decorated with neat little griffons and dwarves and elves as those fanboys weep uncontrollably over seeing God's gayboy on the sideline doing warmup stretches for the majority of the game.

#68 abyzmul, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  9. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Funniest nickname ever

10. BJXX

BJXX New Member

Replies in BOLD.

11. _Jet_

_Jet_ Member

For the love of whatever you love, please don't feed the trolls.

12. Jrsy2FLA

Jrsy2FLA Banned

Be careful, a guy with his first season starting and going to the playoffs will be labeled a starter, as long as his name is not Tebow. Many of us have come to the conclusion that he needs to leave if he wants to save his career. Even Brady Quinn is getting his chance and he was passed over for Tebow in Denver so there is hope.

13. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

we should trade him after this season. If Jax/KC don't end up getting Geno or Barkley, I can one of these two teams pouncing on him. I would take a 3rd or a 4th for him.

14. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Have to disagree with you here. Reason being is that not all teams went to "prevent" defenses in the 4th Q, and Tebow still did much better. More on this below.

here's the thing that many people apparently don't understand. Last year at least, it was silly to put Tebow under center for the majority of the game, and have him run a "conventional" offense.

Thing is, people read too much into that and conclude that Tebow can't throw the ball, that they have to run it all the time. That's a huge mistake. What it ignores are the direct effects on the defense that having a dual threat QB provides. THIS is what was demonstrated in the 4th Q of many games and was why Tebow was so much more effective.

Put the kid in the shotgun and spread out the field with 4 or 5 receivers. With most QBs, when this is done, teams drop back into zone coverages and the QB needs to be very accurate and has to be able to read the defense pretty quickly. Tebow, however, isn't "most QBs". If the defense drops into a zone, Tebow will simply take off running and will gain chunks of yards at a time.

This is what happened on that 95 yard drive against the Jets last year. Rex and Pettine had to decide whether to go with a heavy LB package to stop Tebow from running, or with a nickel/dime package to cover all the receivers running routes and prevent Tebow from beating them through the air.

It's the same thing that Pittsburgh faced and they went the opposite way, and loaded the box to try and stop him. They actually tried to get the best of both worlds by running a lot of cover 1 and inverted cover 2 for run support, and when they did, they got burned badly. Almost all of Tebow's big passes came against one of these two zone coverages.

In short, scheme often dictates defensive coverages. Line 4 receivers out wide, put Tebow in the gun with a RB to his left or right. What defensive alignment/scheme are you going to use against that ?

15. _Jet_

_Jet_ Member

Double cover flanker/split end, and leave other WR uncovered. 1 NG+ 2DT +2 DE + 2 heavy LB in the box. Jets have only two plays for Tebow's package: QB dive and post route, most likely it's a QB dive.

16. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

Dude u and the other Tebow nuts just need to face the facts. He NOT a NFL starter now or never. If you can't throw the ball u can't be NFL QB. Tell me the last time a run first pass 2nd made it as a QB?

17. JaxSuzy

JaxSuzy Banned

He's not a run first pass second QB. The plays called by the coaches are what he executes.

18. Demosthenes9

Again with the stupidity ? He was a freaking starter last year. Whoops, so much for NEVER.

19. Demosthenes9

Seriously ? Leave a WR uncovered ? Did I miss the sarcasm or something ?

20. phaytal

phaytal New Member

Wrong again.

This is probably the biggest fallacy that gets passed around the Tebow camp. Lets look at the game that Tebow set the NFL record for consecutive 3-and-outs, shall we:

1st Half:
    1st down passes : 4
    2nd down passes: 5 (1 sack)
    3rd down passes: 6 (2 sacks)
    4th down passes 1

The Broncos had 7 possessions, and only once did Tebow throw his first pass of the series on 3rd down. So 14% of the time, Tebow threw his first pass on 3rd down in the first half.

2nd Half:
    1st down passes : 12
    2nd down passes: 10 (2 sack, and 2 fumbles)
    3rd down passes: 6
    4th down passes 1

In the 2nd half, the Broncos had 9 possessions. Care to guess how many times 3rd down was the first pass play called? 0. None. So throughout the course of the game that Tim Tebow set an NFL record for consecutive 3-and-outs, 6% of the time third down was the first pass play called. 6%.

Nice try though.

#80 phaytal, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012