Terrible Officiating Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJFan10, Oct 21, 2012.

1. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I don't agree with that at all. Honestly, I don't think it is even debatable. You are reaching, whether you want to admit it or not, and it just gives your complaints about the tail end of the play even less credibility.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

You wouldn't be saying that if the roles were reversed. Be honest.

You are right though. Giving the Pats an extra time out certainly wasn't as game changing as giving them another possession on either the punt (facemask AFTER the ball was kicked), or giving them another possession on the PI call in OT, or not penalizing for an improper challenge, or knocking our starting RB out for a quarter and a half without consequence.

Home cooking at its finest, but whatever, you won. Congratulations.

3. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

the clock should have started once Gostkowski kicked it as there was over 2 minutes left in the game

4. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

He caught the ball inside the endzone. And McCourty doesn't run a 4.00 40 yard dash. Especially in the first 10 or so yards.

I agree that the clock wasn't atrocious on the play, but it just does seem like the Pats have that luck sometimes. I just want to point out that your argument on this point makes no sense.

5. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I thought we were having a respectful argument... guess not.

And you are right, I'm sure none of those other 41 kicks were hurried or anything. Gostkowski clearly needs 2 full minutes to kick an accurate field goal. That is the only "logical" explanation. It couldn't just be that hitting 42 out of 42 field goals is a really damn hard thing to do.

6. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

clock is supposed to start immediately when the ball is kicked

7. gopats88

gopats88 Member

Look at my pics. He caught the ball right at the goal line, and the clock was already down one second as he passed the 5 yard line. You are right; he doesn't run a 4.0 forty, but he can certainly cover 5 yards in an entire second.

8. gopats88

gopats88 Member

no it isn't. find me one example of a video that shows that happening.

9. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

I just posted the NFL rules

under 2 minutes its not until the ball is caught, over two minutes it starts on a kick,

10. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

I thought you said it was at 2:05 as he crossed the 10. If it was the 5, I don't really have a problem. You have to admit that the clock probably should have been at least at 2:00 or 1:59, but I certainly don't think it was a major oversight or it was on purpose. Especially since nobody could have known what would happen on the play, or the rest of the game for that fact.

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

no it isn't, it starts when the returner catches the ball which it didn't on this play and for the first time in NFL history the clock stopped immediately when a player jumped on a fumble.

12. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

my mistake then, but the NFL rulebook specifies only under 2 minutes

13. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I just hadn't bothered to look at it in so much detail when I wrote that. The clock was still at 2:05 as he passed the 10, but it turned to 2:05 exactly as he was crossing the 5.

14. gopats88

gopats88 Member

The official 2012 NFL Rulebook says:

I saw that same link that you did, though, and I'm confused myself as to why it says that.

15. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Ummmm the Jets had posession? Kneel,kneel,kneel, FG 40 seconds left.

16. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

If I were you guys I'd be more pissed off about the phantom PI call on Kyle Wilson on the Patriots' OT drive, one that was called by a ref who was 25 yards downfield.

The fact that the Patriots went into that last drive with a timeout does make a difference. Sure they ended up burning clock on purpose, but having the timeout opens up your playbook a ton. You don't have to stick to the sideline routes (which weren't working well for NE yesterday) and can afford to take some shots down the seams, which they did. With a timeout in your back pocket, you know you can stop the clock and the pressure dials down a bit.

All that said...

Instead of watching the play, go back and play the video and watch the clock. When it gets to 2:01, pause it. The Jets player is on the ground, in possession of the ball, being touched by a Patriots player. Ball dead, play over.

I agree that it's VERY rare for the clock to stop so abruptly on a play like that though. Usually at least another second burns off.

So McCourty needs two full seconds to run 10 yards? No wonder he can't cover anyone. :smile:

The clock may have started a little late, I don't know. But you don't really know that either. This isn't the NBA or the NHL where you have a clock with tenths of seconds showing. There could have been 2:06 and 9/10ths of a second, or it could have been 2:06 and 1/10th. That would make a huge difference either way, no? And it's not at all unreasonable to expect McCourty (or pretty much any defensive back) to cover 10 yards in under two full seconds.

Did it seem like it started a fraction late? Yes, it did.

I don't know where your source is from, but it's wrong.

Here's just one example. There are a million of these out there if you search for "kickoff returns."

[YOUTUBE]Qmc1yVmuXxk[/YOUTUBE]

Like I said, I thought the PI call on Kyle Wilson was crap. I feel like the Patriots stole this one because of that, not because of the end of regulation, which was equally mismanaged by both teams.

Case in point, on the McCourty fumble and the Jets' following possession...

Why run the ball if you're the Jets in that situation? Sanchez was solid all day. Running it into the Pats' line was a weak call with 2:01 to go. You basically GAVE the Pats an extra timeout there. If the Jets manage a first down before Folk comes out, Brady for all intents and purposes never gets the ball back.

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

at least 1 more second though, right? and they stopped it way too quick.

The PI was annoying but IO think there was contact, the problem was the guy right in front of the play didn't call it. Again, we had our chances and still should won.

18. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

I don't think so. At the beginning of yesterdays game, the Jets kicked off into the end zone. The clock read 15:00 when the first play from scrimmage happened, so no time went off the clock from the time the ball was kicked.

19. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Patriots' KR Devin McCourty caught Nick Folk's kickoff at the goal line with 2:06 remaining in the fourth quarter Sunday. A close examination of the TV replay shows that McCourty was at the 5-yard line when the game clock turned to 2:05. In fact, he had taken four full strides before the clock changed. In a case like that, the clock is supposed to start when the returner catches the ball.

It was an important second because the Jets recovered McCourty's fumble with 2:01 remaining, giving the Patriots the benefit of the two-minute warning. That allowed them to preserve a timeout for their ensuing, game-tying possession.

The NFL reviewed the sequence and determined there was no clock-operator error, a league spokesman said Monday. In case you're wondering, that type of play isn't reviewable at the game, the spokesman said.

20. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

The irony is the Jets could have actually used it to their advantage if they had the wearwithal to throw the ball on first down, knowing they had a 'free' incompletion to play with since the two-minute timeout was coming after the play anyway. And what do they do? Another two-yard Tebow run.