We still got a good shot at playoffs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #1 Jets Fan, Oct 21, 2012.

1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

The chargers are also ahead of us at 3-3 with a 3-1 conference record.

right now it looks like we will be 8-8, 9-7 at best(this would require us to basically go 4-1 on the road the rest of the way)

MIA
    @SEA
    @stl
    NE
    ARZ
    @jax
    @ten
    SD
    @Buf

closing the season3 of 4 on the road is tough. seattle is great at home. miami will be tough, st louis and arizona have been better this year.

realistically the pats/texans/ravens are all making it. and one of Denver/SD. that means we need to beat out 4 of the following teams: Pittsburg, SD/Den, Cincy, Indy, Miami.

its going to be an uphill battle. 3 division games left and 5 road games left and we need 6-7 wins depending on tiebreakers.

7-2 seems like a very tall task. 6-3 would be tough as well.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

the way we are playing this is a playoff caliber team but the playoffs are a long way away. we need to get to 4-4 first.

3. jlee499

jlee499 Member

To quote a 'great'? coach... "What’s that? Ah — Playoffs? Don’t talk about — playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game! Another game."I love the optimism about still having a chance to make the playoffs, but my question is... What do we expect to happen once we get there, one and out, two and out? We will be playing the better teams in the NFL and we can't even beat a mediocre Pat's team. All going to the playoffs will do for us is screw up our draft position.

I love the JETS, but they have serious flaws in there game and it starts at the top. Going to the playoffs will not fix it... we need to think future and the future is in the draft.

4. nyjunc

we can't make the playoffs and still think of the future? are you one of those that thinks you need top 10 picks to build a team? This team has a chance to make the playoffs, the playoffs are a long way off but they are playing well and if they keep playing like this they will have a chance.

5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

i think we go 7-2 the rest of the way losing to Chargers and either the Pats or Seattle , what ever the case this team needs to go on a 4 game winning streak, we haven't won two straight yet

#25 LongIslandBlitz, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  6. jlee499

jlee499 Member

I'm one of those who thinks we build through the draft... and yes, in my opinion, the higher the draft pick the better chance at getting who we want. My question to you is... What will making the playoffs get us, if we can't beat the better teams (Texans) or mediocre teams (Pats) in this league? Also, how can you say we are playing well when we still lost yesterday, lost when we had every opportunity to win?

7. nyjunc

Good organizations find players no matter where they draft, bad ones want to lose to get higher picks.

we almost beat hou and almost beat NE so we aren't too far back, in case you haven't noticed 9 & 10 win teams won the SB the last 2 years. Almost any team can win if they get hot at the right time.

8. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

If the Jets want a shot at the playoffs, they have to beat the Chargers and the Pats. Those are two teams that they'll be fighting for a spot. Additionally, I think the Jets have a better chance at the division than the wild card.

9. LeonNYJ

Honestly, the Jets scouting department blows. Just look at our draft history. The Mangini era was the only good drafting era that I can truly recall and even that wasn't stellar.

10. jetfan1987

jetfan1987 Banned

At this point, do you really want the Jets to go to the playoffs? I really think the best thing that could happen is the Jets missing the playoffs two years in a row and Tannenbaum getting fired en lieu of a real GM.

11. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

We absolutely have to beat the Dolphins. The Jets cant pull any BS and come out flat or give one away to them. I always think about that game in 2010 after we got killed by New England up in foxboro and we came home and lost an ugly game to the Dolphins.

Just have to go out there and play well. The formula to beat the Dolphins on offense is the same as it is against the Patriots. Run the ball to setup the pass. The Dolphins cant stop the pass either so we need to be aggressive down field and attack them in that area as well.

12. nyjunc

How are we always competitive w/ such crappy players?

13. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

7 game winning streak, we'll lose to san diego, beat buffalo, 11-5 record, 1st place

14. LeonNYJ

Most of the best players right now were drafted during the Mangini era. Also, competitive means nothing. How many years has this team been a top flight team? How often has this team been one of the top teams in the NFL over a period of a few years? Here are the Jets records over the past 22 years in case you need a reminder.

1990 6-10
    1991 8-8
    1992 4-12
    1993 8-8
    1994 6-10
    1995 3-13
    1996 1-15
    1997 9-7
    1998 12-4
    1999 8-8
    2000 9-7
    2001 10-6
    2002 9-7
    2003 6-10
    2004 10-6
    2005 4-12
    2006 10-6
    2007 4-12
    2008 9-7
    2009 9-7
    2010 11-5
    2011 8-8

15. reverseapachemaster

Even though we lost yesterday, one thing we did in our favor is provide a road map how not to get completely burned by the Pats hurry up offense. The Pats will probably lose to the 9ers and Houston. If we beat them at home they end up 10-6. If another team takes what we did on defense to shut down that hurry up offense and shows some offensive production the Pats could potentially end 9-7 or 10-6 and we would have a good shot at first place.

However, our strategy should never rely on hoping all these other teams do or don't do what benefits us.

16. nyjunc

under rex 2 of 3 years we've been a top flight team and we have playoff chances this year. Missing the playoffs isn't going to help us, it will only set us back.

17. LeonNYJ

2009 the Jets were not a top flight team. They were a team that barely made the playoffs and went on a run. In 2010, the Jets were there until they fell apart when they got humiliated by the Patriots. Luckily they were able to get back on track but then failed in Pittsburgh when they came out flat. That's far from consistency.

It still doesn't account for the fact that the drafting under Rex has been pretty underwhelming. Of course it also doesn't help that our genius GM trades away all of our picks past round 1.

18. jerseyjay14

how in the hell were we a top flight team in 2009? it took a miracle to get us in the playoffs. an undefeated colts team had to sit everyone the last week for us to get.

19. nyjunc

when you make the title game you are a top flight team. That means you are 1 of 2 teams standing in your conference and 1 of 4 in the league. if that turned out to be a fluke I'd agree w/ you but we made it back a year later proving we were an elite team.

2009-2011 under rex:

tied for NFL lead in playoff wins
    LEAD AFC in playoff wins
    Lead NFL in title game apps

top flight doesn't mean SB champs, it means you are one of the top teams which we clearly have been under rex.

20. jerseyjay14

this, under rex our drafts have been trash.

2009:
    Sanchez - huge bust, especially considering we moved up
    Greene - ok pick for 3rd rounder
    Slausen - solid pick for 6th rounder
    OVERALL: disaster of a draft given we traded away so many picks for sanchez who was a megabust

10:
    kyle wilson - poor pick, ok player but for a mid first rounder he hasnt been good
    Vlad Ducasse - huge bust on a pick some teams had as going undrafted and we took him in round 2
    mcknight - ok pick for a 4th rounder
    john connor - 5th rounder - not good, but late round pick
    OVERALL: bad draft. 0 starters and no impact players plus a huge bust in vlad. traded away a pick

11:
    wilkerson - seems like a good pick so far
    kendrick ellis - seems like a poor pick so far
    bilall powel - could be ok, but we didnt need to go RB here
    jemery kerley - seems like a steal
    greg mcelroy - wont ever play for us so hard to say
    OVERALL: solid draft

so 2 disasters, a solid draft, and unknown on this year