2012 Week 8 - Miami Dolphins at New York Jets Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Oct 21, 2012.

1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

This is a huge game. The Jets and Fins always play each other tough no matter how good or bad they are. It'll be close and this game will change the season for better or for worse.

2. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

This.

Any jet or fin fan expecting a blowout either way is kidding themselves. Not that this isn't obvious but it will likely come down to who plays better - Sanchez or Tannehill.

Sanchez played better in game 1. Ryan's gotta play better here especially on the road.

3. Levenhagen

Levenhagen New Member

Based on what i've seen from the jets in the last three games

I don't know what happened against the 49ers, but this team is clearly better than that

Our offense is rolling in these last 3 games without holmes, with our wr corp stepping up, we are one "shonn greene good performance" away from scoring many points
    Also i really like our defense right now, they did a good job containing ridley today so i trust them to stop the fins run game
    I am also trusting Cromartie to make some big plays on the rookie, since he's playing pretty well lately

But hey, dolphins always plays us tough, i think a 35-14 victory is possible
    But i wouldn't be surprised with a close game

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I think the bye will help the Dolphins, but the Jets look much better tackling now since the Dolphins game. They wrapped up Foster pretty well and I think he is better than Bush and you would agree.

The Jets definitely should be favored, maybe by 5 points, 3 for home field. I think they should win a 30-17 game but the last 7 come as Tannehill thorws a pick 6 trying to drive down the field.

5. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

And finally this game is upon us...

I was so furious about that last lost where we gave that game away with our piss poor play calling...

Time to end your season!

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

We beat a rookie QB at home.

We beat a very beatable NE team at home Thanksgiving night.

The AFCE is ours.

7. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

since the jets should win, i fully expect a loss.

8. vonbonds

vonbonds Member

This..LOL. Who knows though, this is why I don't gamble :).

9. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

I do agree about Foster. Reggie likely won't put up big numbers but hopefully he's rested up to at least be a major threat. He has been hampered since the first Jet game. Tannehill has also played really well since the first meeting.

I am interested to see what Philbin can do with an extra week being that preperation and gameplanning are his strong suits. Our D has been bend-but-don't-break lately in the passing game so hopefully Marshall is back.

I don't expect Shonn Greene to get more than 3 ypc against our tremendous front and if he does, the playaction game will kill us

10. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Honestly, the Jets are going to kill the dolphins with this game. This is cliche; but we are going to be pretty fucking pissed from losing a winnable game.

I'm expecting us to win by 3 touchdowns.

11. kerley11

kerley11 Member

I'm not so sure the game will come down quarterback play, I'm more concerned about stopping the run. The jets have done a much better job the past couple of weeks, but I'm definitely worried about a potentially 100% healthy Reggie Bush. He really is a threat each time he touches the ball and I think the bye week came at a good time for the fins so that he can heal up a bit. I've got no doubt that Cromartie can shut down Hartline. Trufant did a really good job on Welker tonight in the slot, maybe stick him on Bess? I really don't feel comfortable with Wilson, way to many penalties. I'm nervous that Greene might need to miss the game with a head injury from that hit. Obviously that would be a major loss.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

historically this is an s.o.j. game. favored,coming off a tough loss but looking like the team is ready to make a break through.
    please don't let the s.o.j show up sunday. there is no reason this team can't come in and lay a beatdown.cro is playing like revis lite, the offense is starting to click and rex owns rookie qb's.make this happen and go into the bye 4-4 and ready to make noise.

that said i expect 17-14 jets in nail biter

13. TheJetLife

TheJetLife Well-Known Member

Just because we lost today's very winnable game doesn't automatically mean that the Jets are gonna just magically go off on the Dolphins and lay a beat down on them just because they're mad about today.

14. Phins_4_Ever

Phins_4_Ever Member

The Dolphins play anybody tough right now. If I take out the first two games (blowout loss by Houston and blowout win against Oakland) we look at losses by 3 and 4 points and 2 wins by 3 points each. The only team to lay 35 points on us was Houston in game 1. But only because they scored 24 points in the last 6 minutes of the 2nd quarter and 21 of those in the last 1:53 after a flurry of mistakes by our new offense. That hasn't happened again.
    We gave up 24 and 23 points in our other two losses courtesy of OTs. Not sure what you have seen in the last 3 games by the Jets that makes you think that the Jets will lay 35 points on us. You have lost 2 out of the last 3 games.
    The win was against Indy courtesy of your running game against the 28th in rushing yards allowed/game and 29th in points allowed defense. Now you are facing a top 5 defense in rushing yards allowed per game and a top 9 team in points allowed. You have to rely on Sanchez to score your 35 points.

I see the game much much closer. While the Jets may be able to sneak out a win I feel confident that the Dolphins will prevail. And here are my reasons for that thinking:

a) on offense: Tannehill has grown tremendously and has his two most efficient games in his young career behind him. He is learning quite well and does not do the same mistakes again. When we play next week you should see a much improved QB
    b) on offense: Bush will be healthy. Until he got injured he gave your rush D fits.
    c) on defense: our rush defense will force the game into Sanchez hands.
    d) Dolphins are well rested and should be quite healthy
    e) your rush D and the x-factor: streaky Sanchez
    f) the big intangibles: the Jets are at home and the pressure is on the Jets. Can you imagine going into the bye week at 3-5 halfway through the season?

15. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

To counter for some fun discussion:

a) Tannehill has improved every game except his drop at home to the Jets. He will now be playing in NY against a similar Jets defense.

b) The Jets have contained the run much better and Davis looks like he might be staying out there. Bush is going to have to run into designated holes as there will be less cutbacks. In the tackles is still going to be difficult.

c) I think our run offense has shown it will not have a game like INDY again, but it can be reasonably effective for playaction, see today.

d) This I give you.

e) Mentioned rush D already, Sanchez hasn't played poorly in 3 games. Maybe he's due for one, maybe the Jets just have a better offense when Hill nad Keller can play.

f) Big intangibles, the Jets know they are also a few plays away from 5-2 shockingly. They already beat MIA once in MIA and know the importance of being 4-4. They seem to be playing better, improving each game since the SF wake up call.

16. Nublar7

Nublar7 New Member

Dolphins get revenge and win this game.

24-14

17. Phins_4_Ever

Phins_4_Ever Member

OK. Let's play. :beer:

a) I said the last two games. I think the Jets game was his turning game. He tried to do too much still and just didn't play as smart as he did the last two games. He is still a project this year. There will be draw backs. You will see. He is a slightly different QB than when we played the first game. I don't know if it will be enough. We shall see.

b) Have they? Except Indy since we played you (your rush D gave up 185 with Bush out for most of the game) the Jets gave up 169 yards against Houston, 245 yards against San Francisco and still 131 yards against NE. I don't see much of an improvement.
    If you want to make a case make it against us. We struggled the last 3 games. But this was mostly due to Thomas being out (last game) and Bush never really gotten healthy. Until now.

c) Just today the Jets rushed over 100 yards in like forever (except Indy). At this point neither the Jets running game nor the Dolphins running game is striking fear in the opposition. I just have more hope because our 1-2 punch which was quite successful was not available the last few games. One was completely out last game and in the other games Bush was not 100%.
    But we will see.

e) Here is how I see Sanchez. One good game and then 2 bad games and then another good game and so on. Of your entire team he is the x-factor. He is not going to beat the opponent but he can beat the Jets. I don't know but he is a head scratcher to me. He can make a world beating throw down-field and the next two throws are like a rookie from Appalachian State.
    Since we are not Indianapolis you will have to rely on Sanchez somewhat.

f) well, unfortunately it is not what we could be. I am no dreamer and know the Dolphins are what they are at this point: a 3-3 team. But if I play that game we could be 5-1. Both OT losses are nailed on Carpenter with missed FGs he should have made - even the Jets game. But we also could be 1-5 if our boneheaded mistakes were punished in our close wins. So where are we? In the middle at 3-3. Nobody expected us to go anywhere this year so 3-3 feels good considering the last year we started 0-7. And we have a rookie QB with a lot of upside. Next week a 3-4 Jets team will be playing a 3-3 Dolphins team and a rivalry is something great and to be cherished.

BTW, thanks for having a good discussion.

18. cdz12250

cdz12250 Member

Come on, guys. We're coming into your house with a rookie quarterback, a rookie coaching staff and a suspect secondary. If we can't complete some passes to keep Rex from stacking the box, and if we can't move your people off the line of scrimmage, the game is yours. Why the doom and gloom?

19. FriendlyDolphin

I biggest thing for us is you won't have holmes (who pretty much fuck us with 146 yards) and revis won't be playing at all and this time we will have reggie bush this time along with our CB Marshall. We are also healthy and coming off a bye week and what's Greene status?

#39 FriendlyDolphin, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  20. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

It's apart of the Jets fan DNA...