Greene Rejuvenated?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I re-watched the game last night and was amazed at Greene's performance. Yes I know, the Colts run defense is terrible, but it was more about his running style and the desire to break through the line that really set him apart. I'm not talking about the yards or the TD's. I'm talking about the way he ran the ball. Making quick cuts, finding holes, dragging tackles, and even spinning off a tackle to score.

My question, that I still can't figure out, is what happen? Why, all of a sudden, is he running like he's a top 5 back in the league? Could this be him turning the corner? We will find out, but what the hell do you think caused this sudden change in his demeanor and his running style?

2. cromartiecove31

cromartiecove31 New Member

I honestly think the fullback had a lot to do with it, hey gave him some sweet holes. But I agree he looked like he was battling for his starting job, he ran with power and heart, and like a true north-south runner. The man ran through people Sunday, that's why I was so happy with that game, but incredible blocking

3. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Contract year? I don't know but he looked good.

4. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

He always starts off the season slow. He always starts picking it up about a third of the way through the season. It also helped that they played the colts, and the o line created push and holes. I also believe Hilliard will take over at fullback and Connor is done. Lets just wait to see if Greene is a 1 week wonder or if he can keep producing, same with the o line.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

He ran like a man possessed. He doubled the passing yards.

I'm still not 100% sure that was Greene under that helmet.

6. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Really like how good Greene looked but I'm also annoyed that right before FA he shows this untapped ability to make people miss & find the hole. Personally, I've never been a fan of players that suddenly "get it" right before they are going on the open market.

This isn't a knock against only Greene. All sports, all players .... always be suspect of players who dramatically pick up their game when contract time is coming.

7. Falco21

I think he might have turned the corner.

It's one thing running like crazy for 20+ yards a carry and running through an open hole, but it's a complete different story when you run like he did. Cutting, spinning off blocks, running through people. It just doesn't add up that the reason is because of the Colts terrible run defense. That could account for the yards and TD's, but that does not account for his style of running on Sunday.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Let's see how he does against a real team this week. If he can put up 150 yards this week we can continue this thread with meaning.

9. Bannon

Bannon New Member

The holes were there. Greene is not one to juke around, or even make that good of a cut. He's a straight ahead, non-elusive runner. So he will look good against teams that can be blocked and where there are straight ahead holes. He will look bad against teams where there's something there, but it requires vision and a key cutback here and there.

Some guys are the other extreme -- never hit the hole, always cagey, trying to shift their feet around. You need someone like Shonn Greene to smack into the hole, on time. But it helps if he also has the vision to find a lane and cut into it.

10. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Pinning this up to a contract year doesn't make much sense since he really didn't do himself any favors coming out of the gates slow like he did. Would bet it's more of "playing for his job" then "playing for the $".

All I know is I loved the way he ran it Sunday, I found myself asking a few times who they gave the #23 jersey to. Lets hope he can keep it up.

11. Falco21

Again, your lack of reading comprehension never ceases to amaze me

12. Falco21

If he keeps this up, we can call ourselves set at running back. This is the Greene everyone hoped and envisioned him to be. This would be absolutely HUGE if he can continue like this and remain healthy. Running like he did, completely opened up the passing game and kept the defense honest. Exactly what needs to be done to help Sanchez out.

13. Jets42long

Jets42long Member

Last game was reminiscent of our first playoff push 4 years ago. When Greene can get some good holes and build up a head of steam he looks like a totally different back. It's pretty clear he is not the guy who will make something out of nothing, but if given 2-3 yards he is so exciting to watch.

This has been the story with him since day 1. So I think last week was the rejuvenation of our O-line and same old Shonn. That said if we can but holes together for him going farther he could still have a very good season.

14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

One game does not a franchise back make.

He's going to have to string together a few more performances like that before I reserve a place for him in Canton.

15. Falco21

1. I have no idea what your first sentence says.

2. I never said this would franchise a back. All I'm asking, is what you think caused him to turn his performance around. And I've said countless times, if this continues, then yes, franchising is in his future, but right now, hell no

16. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

I can only imagine that he was finally feeling the pressure. It was pretty obvious to everyone that he was steadily working his way into the doghouse with his lackluster play in the first 5 games. I just don't understand how he could suddenly look so different but whatever happened to him I just hope he can keep running like he did last week.

17. Falco21

My thoughts exactly. Yes, he probably did feel the pressure coming down on him, but to turn it in a complete circle is beyond me.

Maybe he just was saving some fuel for the second half of the season and the post season :)

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The oline created hole and he got more than 18 carries. For a big brusing back this is key, because he wears down the opposing defense by punishing the lbers and DBs early, and is able to make bigger gains late.

It's not a coincidence that his best runs came in the second half or that Powell and McKnight were able to find room as well. The line dominated for the first time all season. Now if only the can continue to have some success against better front 7s we will be in business with the offense Rex and tony want.

19. mute

mute Well-Known Member

he made the right cuts and found the hole on Sunday. I just couldn't believe it.

20. june19

june19 Active Member

same here bro!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD