Giving Credit where Credit is Due: Greene

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sloup, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

The last couple of weeks, I have said Shonn Greene isn't cutting it at running back, and that the front office should draft a new feature running back next year both on this site and among my friends. Today, Greene sparked a blowout win in a career day with 161 yards and 3 TDs on 32 carries. Congratulations to him for a great game.

That said, I'm not entirely sold on Greene as a feature back going into the future. This was one game against a sub-par run defense. I am, however willing to say that maybe I was wrong to judge him based on performances against Pittsburgh, Miami, San Fran, and Houston, who all at least seem to have strong rush defenses.

Maybe the Jets need to draft offensive linemen earlier this year, or maybe the team just needs a better speedy compliment, be it an improved Powell or McKnight or a new kid. There's much more football to be played and the team will evaluate how they can improve the ground attack going forward, but I thought it would be appropriate after this game to eat a little crow. Keep up the good work, Shonn Greene!

2. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

I really think Greene saved his NFL career today.

3. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Great game from Shonn. He really surprised me. Hopefully, he keeps it up because it would really help Sanchez and the passing game.

4. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Shonnmower!!!

5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

If he has a bad game next week or the week after we will all hate him again, he needs to be consistent hopefully this game gives hime alot of confidence going foward,Joe McKnight was the bigger story to me with his huge 61 yard rush,4 attempts and 73 yards for McKnight, Jets rushed for 253 yards now thats ground and pound folks, but i still wanna see McKnight get more carries maybe he will now

6. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

I agree with Greene. But I think the big props should go to Cro. He looks like Revis Jr every since Revis went down. Where the haters on Cro at?

7. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

How about, "it would really help he offense."?

The Jets' rushing offense has got to be near the worst in the NFL prior to this game. What offense doesn't need even an effective rushin game? We're not talking juggernaut rushing game - just effective, get he job done, rushing. I haven't seen that at all this year outside of this game.

8. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

This is true. I did qualify the praise a little bit, but hopefully, for both himself and the team, Greene will build on this performance.

9. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Greene was like a completely different guy today. Instead of just lowering the head & running directly into the tacklers like he usually does, he was actually twisting & turning, looking for openings. Wonder what happened... it can't be just poor Colts D. In the past he wasn't even trying to do anything but run into tacklers.

10. YOYOYO

YOYOYO Active Member

This x1,000! The last two weeks he's played out of his mind. He's shutdown two of the best WRs in NFL. Also if your going to give Greene credit don't forget that O-line. They did a great job today creating holes for him.

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

There's no doubt in my mind that we still absolutely need to draft an RB of the future here in 1st 3 rounds, but he did play very well. The Colts run D is terrible, but he made people miss and showed better vision.

On that spin move I almost shit myself...

12. laxin

laxin Active Member

I really want to see more of Joe. He has great vision and athletic ability. He put on a lot of weight to take a bigger role, he deserves it and the Jets need to give him more carries.

Im assuming Powell will be out for a week or two at least so he should definitely be our 3rd down back and hopefully get more carries. He is one of the few players on offense with playmaking ability.

13. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

Greene played well against a crappy and soft defense.
    He left yards on the field because he can't make a move in the open and should have topped 200 yards today.

14. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

The O line finally gave him a chance to run. Up until now it seemed like our RB were running into brick walls. Today their were holes and they took advantage.

15. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Not entirely true.
    Greene almost never ran to the outside & when he did his best move was to tackle the tackler. That spin that netted him the 1st TD... I don't recall Greene ever doing it.

16. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Today was the first day that they committed to the run, and also the first day that Greene ran the ball like an NFL running back. He hit the line hard, and broke a shitton of tackles. I also said I see him more for a closing role against a tired defense. If he continues to run hard, he is a legitimate running back, but if he runs like he did the past few weeks....

17. wildaces

wildaces Banned

LOL, did you watch the game?

18. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

he doesnt do much to try and elude anyone. he tends to lower his shoulder. like the first long run where it was him and the safety and instead of putting a move on he just lowered his shoulder and ran him over.

19. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Well, the passing game feeds through the running game, so in effect isn't it the entire offense if both are doing well? You need a decent passing game to have a good offense, no?

20. wildaces

wildaces Banned

So you are talking about 1 play, and to correct you, it was a safety on each side. He lowered his shoulder to try and split them. Did you see how many tackles he broke today by lowering his shoulder? Greene is not and never will be a slippery RB, but he is a pounder.

For the record, I have said he is better off in a closer position, but I am not going to nit pic by saying his 160 yard performance was not good enough.