Mark Sanchez sucks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TNJet, Sep 30, 2012.

1. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Super cool stories bro. I bet you'll spend all week telling it again

2. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

This was exactly the kind of game Sanchez needed. Maybe not to prove the haters wrong, but for him to regain confidence that he can make the throws.

It helps that Stephen Hill is back from injury. Keller had a catch, too. Once those guys are going at full speed, the passing game could look pretty good.

3. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

No real need to complain because you just admitted the main point about Mark, the Jets didn't need him to do much except not make a mistake. His exposure was limited, and like 2009/2010, the defense and running game was able to shield Sanchez's flaws.

Which just proves the point about Sanchez, a JAG making 1/5th as much money could do his job on the Jets when the Jets running game and Defense are on game. The one Kudos I'll give Sanchez is that in his limited participation he did play error free.

The defense confused and overwhelemd the Rookie Luck today, and the Running game steam rolled the Colts defense. Hell, I could have QB'd todays game (okay I couldn't at my age, I'd have fumbled a snap or two) The Jets today ran the ball very well and Sanchez was shielded by keeping his passes short and "easy completion" routes.

The real Kudo's here goes to the coaching staff on both sides of the ball for a great game plan against the Colts and going after their weak points.

4. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

So when he plays good, it isn't indicative of him being a good QB, but if he plays bad, it is indicative of him being a bad QB?

You must run a Fortune 500 company.

5. mute

mute Well-Known Member

This thread is
    [​IMG]

6. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I don't see JAG completing the throw to Hill in the end zone.

That was a big-boy throw and the reason Sanchez supporters want to see him get a full year with Sparano.

It was baby steps - but I like it. We'll see what happens next week when the heat is on.

7. CandleGuy

CandleGuy New Member

Sanchez did his job

That being said, only Jets fans would be content and or pleasantly surprised with 82 yard "game manager" play from a Franchise QB

8. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm really contempt with it since we rushed for over 200 yards and 3 TDs. Instead of trying to confuse the defense, we imposed our will on them with our run game. No need to take any shots deep (which we didn't) and when we needed our QB to convert 3rd downs, he did, including one in the RZ to Hill.

9. CandleGuy

CandleGuy New Member

Nobody saying don't be happy with a win.

And I hope the run game, the D, and special teams continues the solid play, so all Sanchize needs to do is manage.

But when you have to hope you never have to rely on your QB to win the game for you there's a problem.

10. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

You're belittling what he is saying, but there is a great deal of truth in it. Playing a good game versus a bad team is by no means the mark of a consistently good quarterback, even Jamarcus Russel played good games. This good game, in no way outweighs the clear and consistent problems that Mark has. Mark proved nothing today besides that fact that he can hit short and intermediate routes, two of them for scores against a bad defense for a grand total of 82 yards, barely 8 yards a pass. It was a good performance by a game manager, nothing more, nothing less.

However, when Mark goes up against good defenses (top half of the league) or our offense is not in optimal shape, he completely breaks down and all of his flaws are on full display: his inaccuracy, his poor decision making, inability to protect the ball, low pocket awareness, balls consistently batted down by defensive linemen, afraid of taking deep shots in favor of check downs, not standing tall in pocket to throw passes in the face of pressure.

Just watch, next week and the week after Mark is going to play in mediocre fashion against New England and Miami, he is a glorified overpaid game manager, he cannot get it done consistently against good defenses. He can have a good game against a good defense every now and then, and good games against bad defenses but his true colors are of a mediocre quarterback with a stat line indicative of a bottom half of the league quarterback. The fact of the matter is that Mark has not been worth the investment made in him as the 5th pick in the draft, and he certainly was not worth the extension he got last off season. And yet Sanchez fans come here week after week, even after barely average performances to tout how he is making progress, how he is securing his role as a leader on the team, how he is developing into a good quarterback. None of this is true! Sanchez has hit his ceiling, his potential has been reached, he is a game manager even when all the pieces are in place around him, and when even one or a few of those pieces are missing he disassembles and looks like one of the league's worst at the position. To all the Sanchez fans, please contest what I am saying here with facts or any argument that makes sense, because all I here from the Sanchez loving crowd is the broken record of attributing 4 road playoff wins mostly to him as if he is a major league pitcher.

11. MURDR

MURDR Banned

Sanchez didn't play bad today, but we can't expect to run for 250 yards every game. Bench him already...

12. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I'm not hoping we never have to rely on him. Clearly we relied on him on some key third downs and we converted. We relied on him twice in the RZ and he converted.

What a surprise, Mark Sanchez isn't an elite QB, I think we all knew that after season 2 and if not 2 then 3. But he is a QB you can build around and win games with. Everyone seems to forget that. We can win games with him especially if we stay healthy at our skill position on offense.

This what we all asked for, right? A QB who can convert on 3rd down, be efficient in the RZ, and not turn it over? We rarely went down the field, so I expect see more of that with Keller getting healthy and Hill shaking off some rust. I think that will open up our whole offense.

Basically I don't see a need to go away from him as QB this season. Maybe in a couple games I will, but right now I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be starting next week or the following week.

#792 displacedfan, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  13. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Mark played his role, and if asked to pass he'd have better numbers today. However the running game was clicking so no need to have Mark drop back to get injured possibly.

Now all you Greene haters exit stage left. He can't break a tackle and he is slow, just stfu already.

Sanchez and Greene are our best options, but the line and Receivers have to play their roles correct.

Good game...

14. 1968jetsfan

Now that all said, next week the Jets face the Pats, who always step up their game for the Jets.

The Jets probably won't be able to rely on the run game, the Pats are in the top 10 on run defense, and close to the top 5.

but the Patriots are in the bottom 1/4 of the league right now in every pass defense category except interceptions, with 6 their in the top 10 there I think. but for everything else their in the bottom 1/4 or lower. these include TD's allowed, passing yards, yards per attempt, completion percentage, sacks, etc.

So if there is a chance for Sanchez to step up his game this would be the game. If he sucks in the game there are no excuses...if he thrives I'll give him kudos for the game.

But I won't necessarily reverse my postion on Sanchez based off of one game here or there, my criticism of him is based on his career to date and not just his performance so far this year. My criticism is that he's never in any year been out side of the bottom 1/4 of the leagues starting QB's. And it will remain so until he shows otherwise.

15. 1968jetsfan

Point is he didn't play good today, he didn't lead the team to victory, with 12 completions in the game and 88 yards passing, 82 after deducting sack yardage, he was at best Dilfer level. I gave him kudos for playing error free in his limited role in todays game, but that's all he deserves. He was able to hide behind an outstanding running game today and an outstanding defensive effort. he had a pawltry 4.6 yards per attempt. So if you want to call that a "good game", fine....he played a satisfactory game from a game manager standpoint...But if you have to claim a game like this to show Sanchez as a franchise QB, then your really grasping for straws.

16. 1968jetsfan

And I'll add, the Pats are beatable this year..they are not the juggernaut of years past. I think the Patriots are a better team from top to bottom than the Jets however. 70% chance of Pats win, Sanchez will have to step up and perform in that game.

17. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

He will have to step up a great deal, idk what it is with Sanchez but playing the Patriots he either has a great game or a piss poor game no matter how good or bad their defense is playing.

18. 1968jetsfan

There is no question that Sanchez can on occasion make the big boy throw, it's that tease of hope that makes him so Frustrating. It's the fact he is extremely inconsistant, he'll hit a big boy throw and then miss a dozen easy throws (even if a number of those are caught by receivers they'll be behind the reciever or off target negating any chance of YAC).

That's what's frustrating about Sanchez, and I've said before he has the tools, he's just never been constant. But here's the thing, nearly every player drafted has tools and skills to succeed, but only a very few ever actually put it together. The further you get from your rookie season the less likely a player is to put it together. Maybe it's not fair to mark, but he makes top 5 money and peforms like a bottom 1/4 QB. He is at best, at this point in time, Trent Dilfer. In fact his career trajectory thus far as been strikingly similar to Dilfer's. If Dilfer,at best, is what your looking for at QB then Sanchez is your man, At least so far in his career.

19. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

Sanchez was totally irrelevant today. He threw for 80 yards and we won in a blowout. This is the only way Sanchez looks good -- when his required contribution is "don't fumble the snap".

There's nothing bad to say about his performance today, but it's a joke to try to act like it's some kind of affirmation of his ability. This is the entire knock on Sanchez. In order to have success, you need to effectively eliminate his role. And in today's NFL, it's not easy to win by throwing for < 200 yards a game.

20. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Sanchez played a solid efficient game today but it doesn't change the fact that he still sucks. Playing one good game doesn't change that. I want to see him do it consistently.