Peter King on Jets Colts game and Tebow

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by CowboysFan, Oct 12, 2012.

1. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

( yeah I know King is a douchebag but I agree with him on his assessment )

1 p.m. ET (CBS) Indianapolis Colts (2-2) at New York Jets (2-3)

I keep trying to figure out why the Jets dealt for Tim Tebow. My cynical side says it's about attention and tickets and back pages. My football side says he's a guy who can help them win, and for some reason, Rex Ryan and Tony Sparano aren't letting him. Monday night, fullback Lex Hilliard played 30 snaps and Tebow played 14 (six touches, 19 yards, by the way, in the loss to Houston). Yes, different positions, different jobs, blah, blah, blah. You see how Tebow picked up two blitzes the previous week against San Francisco? For a team as beat up and offensively inept as the Jets, Tebow should be used on half the offensive snaps, in every position possible. He should be playing series, not individual snaps. Don't the Jets see the season slipping away? Forget the confidence of Mark Sanchez. Play to win, not to nurture some guy you're not sure will be your quarterback of the future anyway.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20.../11/nfl-week-6-picks/index.html#ixzz295ngFjAf

2. Bannon

Bannon New Member

I don't get it, either. It's odd they way they cycle him in and out. Seems like you need to put him in for a whole series, where he's a threat to take the snap (and the defense is wondering if he will), and you can do other things if you want to (like have Sanchez take the snap).

3. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

I can see it. Tim Tebow may indeed be the best marketing gimmick on the planet. His name might be the most recognizable name from a sports figure out there. You'd be a fool not to at least consider that to be AT LEAST part of the equation.

Jacksonville wanted him too for that reason I believe. That is a franchise in the cellar considered by many as most irrelevant in the league. They face a real possibility of having to relocate, and can't sell tickets. Riddle me this, what single move can be made that will have the most impact on generating fan interrest for the Florida team?

Ask yourself why two franchises that had the guy, who see him work out and practice every day, know his strengths and weaknesses... don't seem to want him out there for every play? The team that DID give him a shot as an every down QB... turned around signed an injury concern to start and thought they were better off with him playing elsewhere rather than on as a backup or utility player. They traded him away for a bag of peanuts.

Maybe they know something that those clammoring for Tebow to play every position don't?

4. NFL

NFL Active Member

Completely agree. Some fans need to realise that these men who are paid to coach and monitor them, have to know a little bit more of football than most of us, and they have to realise that they know some stuff that we don't.

5. JaxSuzy

JaxSuzy Banned

Good article. The coaches Tebow play calls don't make much sense to me. I don't believe they have some super duper top secret plays. Don't know why they're not using him like they did in Denver when Orton was starter. The current QB play calls confuse the Jets more than the other team. At least we got to see Tebow throw that nice pass that shows he can throw with accuracy. Gotta get the team used to lefty spirals tho.

6. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Once you let Tebow take over, they figure they lose Sanchez for good so they want to see if he can turn it around before they do replace him. Its just a matter of time because Sanchez is regressing every game. And Tebow is not the answer, hell he's even less accurate but let him play so Woody and the press shutup about him already after he fails miserably. Then again, we have a built in excuse for both QB's, they have no weapons or protection. Problem is, both were fine Monday and we still lost.

7. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Your argument completely falls apart because Tebow has started 16 NFL games.
    9-7 record (6 comeback wins +1 playoff win as starter)

that was not make believe, that actually occurred. He has had success as a starter.

8. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Until they put him in . . . . then's because they are swayed by media, fans, inner voices, whatever.

9. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

Basing your opinion on the actual talent level and utility of a football player upon the opinions of others is lazy. I prefer to use my own two eyes and analysis. I trust myself more than them.

10. JaxSuzy

JaxSuzy Banned

Duh, the Jets would've chosen Peyton over Sanchez any day as well. There's no shame in being beaten out by Peyton, Eli, Brees, Rogers, or Brady. It's not like they dumped Tebow for Sanchez LOLOL. As far as marketing hype - you're delusional if you think Tebow would put more butts in seats than the 5 future HOFs above. Stick to your GI Joe PSAs. Go play with your dolls.

#10 JaxSuzy, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  11. Remarker

Remarker Banned

Why ask ourselves when we have you and NFL to remind us ad nausium?

12. WildDuckCT

WildDuckCT Active Member

Now here is a comment that I think all of us here can agree on.

13. Concerned_Citizen

He had success because the defense bailed him out.

5 of his 7 wins last year was when the defense allowed 15 or less. you know what Kyle Orton's record was when the defense allowed 15 or less? 23 - 2.

not make believe, it's true... and just about any QB in the league who gets starting time could have done it.

Nothing special about Orton. Nothing special about Tebow. the coaching staff knew it. The defense knew it... hell, anyone who didn't get amnesia during the first 55 minutes of most of the games knew it.

nice job getting that last score when defenses are in prevent, but his numbers for the first 3 quarters are on par with JaMarcus Russell. THAT is why few are willing to take a chance on him. THAT is why the Broncos felt we were better off with a 4th round pick than using him.

14. Concerned_Citizen

Someone has to.

Interrested in your theory though, (Out of morbid curiosity) as to why Fox and Elway didn't want him, and why Rex Ryan hasn't given Tebow the keys to the offense.

15. Concerned_Citizen

You missed the boat completely on my point.

No shame in losing out to a HOF'er, but that doesn't explain why the Broncos thought they were better off with Caleb Hanie as the backup rather than Mr. Miracle. Thought they were better off with Tebow playing for the Jets. You'd think a great athlete like Tebow, one destined for greatness at QB would have still had a place somewhere on the roster.

But they didn't. Why? Keep attacking only partial parts of my posts, or attacking me personally if you wish, but none of you can answer, can you? I can.... he sucks!!!

16. Potzer

Potzer New Member

^^ Well they figured they could get rid of people like you and me ..!.. =P

17. Concerned_Citizen

My own eyes saw way too many dirt missiles and three-and-outs through most of the games. I saw just about every play he made as a Bronco. I take it you only saw the highlights? If so, then that explains much.

Saw a few good plays, but nowhere near enough of them to make me think winning with him is sustainable... unless he had the '85 Bears for a defense.

18. DbaJets

DbaJets New Member

I disagree. The ineptitude of this organization is pretty appalling. Sanchez had a miserable year and they extend him for more $. they Trade for Tebow (almost screwing the deal in the process by not knowing about $ he was owed), and misuse him.

Sure they know more than us about football, but not about how to run a quality organization.

19. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

He did not turn the ball over like Orton did, the defense did have to start with their backs against the wall over and over and over.

Tebow was not the only reason the Broncos completely turned around that abysmal record and ended 8-5 with a playoff win , obviously special teams and defense were a huge part.

BUT without Tebow the Broncos do not go 8-5 and into the playoffs , as Tebow is one of the 3 pieces that were necessary to get that accomplished (Quinn and Orton would not have had that success running the same conventional offense that had been failing ) defense and special teams being the other two obviously.

Therefore Tebow deserves as much credit for the turn around as the defense and the kicking game and if not as much quite a bit (he was one of the 3 pieces)

Its incredible how T-Haters like yourself give him no credit

I get you don't like Tebow or thinks he sucks but lets deal in reality and not wrong perception, they were a crap team before Tebow helped change the culture of the locker room. (Von Miller, Dawkins, Bailey, all publicly said he did, so argue with his team mates about that culture change not me)

If you saw every play then you must know that McCoy and fox called a completely different game through 3 quarters then were different in the 4th. Tebow had one of the highest (if not the highest) 4th QBR among all starers last year . All those 3 and out came mostly in the first 3 quarters.

#19 CowboysFan, Oct 12, 2012
  20. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

I saw every down, every series, every game of the Broncos when Tebow was there. I watch 7-8 games per week due to fantasy football.

However... the football watching habits of Private Santiago are not in question here. You posited, if Tebow's coaches see him every day and do not start him, then he must be, bad... very bad. I disagree with that line of thinking because it takes out the ability for me to interpret and form my own opinion. It also ignores outside factors that have nothing to do with football performance. It also, in contrast to the Iversionian Doctrine, talks 'bout practice, as opposed to the actual game where it matters. How da hell Tebow go'n make his teammates better by practice?

I am a skeptic by nature, and therefore do not place too much value upon other's assessments. Especially when they have a track record of pretty bad decisions. I would be much more inclined to put credence in a coach like Bill Belichick's opinion than John Fox's or Rex Ryan's. Based solely on past performance.

#20 Backup QB, Oct 12, 2012