What if we lined up Keller at WR more often?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVISion, Oct 11, 2012.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

With Cumberland at TE? I figure with our depleted WR corps we might benefit from having more options. We could potentially use him in a Jimmy Graham/Aaron Hernandez type role, he's athletic enough to split out. Cumberland can't be any worse at blocking than Keller and he's shown to be a decent receiver himself. Just a thought.

2. TheJetLife

TheJetLife Well-Known Member

I don't think Keller is fast enough for that type or role. Plus, he's doesn't get much YAC either.

3. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

Hell, if the question is between Keller and Cumberland or Keller and Jason Hill, I can't say I'd argue with it. Sanchez needs guys on the field with whom he has chemistry.

4. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

what if you stopped posting more often

5. reverseapachemaster

Since Keller isn't a great blocker and Sanchez loves to throw to him, he might as well be lined up as a WR.

6. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

I'd like to see him actually play an entire game first.

7. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I think it could work. He isn't quick or fast enough to be a WR, but he doesn't get physical at the line either so probably better for him if he's matched up against a CB than a LB or DL bumping him.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Didn't Sparano talk about doing this in the offseason? Seems like they could certainly use him in the slot with Hill and Kerley on the outside and Cumberland at TE.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

This comment is unnecessary.

10. NJJets20

NJJets20 Active Member

At this point, we need to have the best receiving options we have on the field. If that means we line Keller up as a wide out and have Cumberland at tight end, that's what we should do. I imagine we will have Keller split out at times, but I don't think he will play a wide receiver role for an entire game, or for an extended period of time.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You can put him on some plays as a WR, but I'd much rather have him up against a linebacker, that's where YAC comes into play.

12. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Two TE sets like new England. Try to generate some mismatches. At least Sanchez has some chemistry with Cumberland, Keller, and Kerley

13. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

Keller is slow as hell. But it could work a few times.

14. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

If anything you'd flip what the OP suggested and line up Cumberland in the slot, but why line up Cumberland in the slot when you have Jeremy Kerley? Kerley can play outside, but he's more of an inside guy. Have Keller at TE, Kerley in the slot, Stephen Hill and Chaz Schilens on the outside with I guess Jason Hill and Clyde Gates coming off the bench to spell either.

15. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I hate threads like this. Not because I think they are pointless, but because some people on here bring out some awesome ideas of different sets we could run, but in the end, we have absolutely no say in what happens. It all makes sense, but then we just sit and hope Rex and Sparano think like we do haha

16. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

we're talking about stone hands-pussy legs Keller right?

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It'd be nice having Keller back in his normal roll for a game or two to see how we can do.

With Santonio out, Keller will get more looks naturally. Probably 5-6 more balls a game just doing what he does with no special alignments.

18. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

This was a wildcat formation (or spread option; not very good with naming offenses) I was talking about with some people:

Have Tebow line up under center and fake a run. Defenses respect his fun. Have him flip the ball across the field to Sanchez. Sanchez then throws the ball to Cromadie (or Keller, or whoever) for a wide open touchdown.

19. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I doubt it. Side note, did anybody see how the Steelers used Heeeath Miller last night (and his entire career); I love it. They put him off-set on on either side, he stays in to block and then releases. This is a big reason why Ben has soo much time to throw (their line is worse than ours)and their recievers consistently get open (great recieving core too). I would really like to see the Jets impliment this more, even though Keller is a better recieving option than blocker.

20. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 New Member

I'd like to seem him actually play!!!! :breakdance: