Greene's Gotta Go!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DoubleDown11, Oct 9, 2012.

1. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 New Member

With respect to Shonn Greene, he should not be the #1 featured RB! Everytime he carries the ball, I honestly feel like it's a waste of a down. He picks up "maybe" 2-3 yards a carry. 8 carries for 26 yards last night??? That's not good. At all. A change has to be made here. Why can't Bilal be the featured back?? He's performed really well so far this season. Is it telling that last night, Greene refused to talk to reporters? What is that about?

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/rex_risk_backfires_EUkXhawbEhXG0417svH7KN

This article was written 9/5/12, but does a good job explaining what I'm getting at:

http://nymag.com/daily/sports/2012/09/jets-burning-question-whither-shonn-greene.html

2. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

the jets need to find something at running back, doesnt matter who or what, they need to do something different for next week though. with the shape of our receiving core, the run game simply has to be better.

3. Mr. Green Pants

Powell is averaging almost four yards a carry. He should be the primary guy.

4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

While I'm not a huge supporter of his, its not RB that looks to be the big problem. Our offensive line blows. Moore needs to go and quickly, Slauson is little more than adaquate, and same goes for howard. If you want to ground and pound you build through the trenches and right now the talent is just not there on the line.

5. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I admit,I believe Greene is not our future #1 RB. But, since Sanchez gets some looney excuses defending his play, let's throw Shonn a bone.

If you have a QB who can't throw it past the line more than 50% of the time and when he does he under or over throws the receiver then maybe you are running into a wall everyplay and that is what is affecting his yards.

See make believe can be fun, just ask Mark who doesn't seem to worry at all about his performance.

6. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

7. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Powell looks like Jim Brown compared to Greene. He actually makes people miss every now and then ... something we never see from Greene. If this staff is serious about running the ball they better start him next game and give him 25 carries ... and mix in a little McKnight here and there. I'd bet my life we'd produce our best output of the season.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Maybe the Jets need to just put Powell in there on 1st and 2nd down and use McKnight on 3rd and go with whatever happens?

Having all the skill positions except Kerley regress is killing this offense. Greene has been terrible all season long. If it's the line-play, which is always possible, then nothing the Jets do at RB matters. The Jets need to change something up here if they really want to make an effort at running the ball.

We're at the 5 game mark and the Jets have 161 passes and 130 rushes. How is that part of the plan at this point?

9. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 New Member

What I'm getting at is this - for those saying its the O-Line, why is Powell averaging over 5 yards a carry? Every time I watch Greene, I get frustrated. Even when I watched him the last couple years. He gets the ball, runs up the gut, hits his O-Line man half the time, and gets tackled for a 1 yard gain. Either that, or they go with a pitch to the strong side or weak side and he gets tackled for a loss. I'm tired of seeing people make excuses for others. You need to either step your game up or back down! Are we making excuses for Bilal on how the O-Line isn't blocking correctly? No. Shonn Greene should be the 3rd down back - he's more of a bruiser anyway. Let him pick up the 3rd & 2 or 3rd & 3 for a first down. I'm so fucking tired of the boneheaded moves this franchise seems to make on a consistant basis.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah, nobody the Jets put back there is going to be particularly good short of Barry Sanders in his prime.

The reason Greene is a bad choice is that he has no burst or elusiveness at all at this point. When a defender gets lined up on him he's already going down.

This is not a hard concept to understand. When running backs wear down in the NFL they lose a step and they tend to decline very quickly. For Greene 600+ carries was enough to do him. He always was kind of a fragile back. Some guys can't take the pounding and he's obviously gotten to the point where the pounding has done him in.

11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

i wish Mcknight could get more snaps, he always shows he has great breakaway speed,If we gave him half a chance he might show up, he would def do better then Greene. I think if McKnight gets 25 carries a game he will run for over 100 yards every time

12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Greene actually busted off a couple of nice gainers in the fourth. Which is probably when he should be used most of the time.

13. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I don't think Mcknight would hold up getting anywhere near that many carries. The guy is amazingly small for a RB. Have you seen him in a tee shirt? I'd love to see Joe used in a Leon Washington type of role, and give Powell the bulk of the carries.

14. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

Have to agree about the line, they are just not opening holes, the whole right side looks weak. I must say that Howard is still a vast improvment over WFH and is still learning. Moore has lost a FEW steps and is not the player he once was. If I had my way I would slide Sluason over to RG and play big Vlad in the LG spot.

I would also start Powell & McKnight and explain to Greene that we are going to pound him in the 4th if he has a problem with that role he can sit and be gone at the end of the season....

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

One time last night Greene actually looked for a hole! And got a good run.

Its true our line is not been run blocking that well but just running into the pack isn’t the answer. And that’s what Greene has become known for. The few times he actually got past the line he was punishing people which is valuable. The problem is how do we get him past the line when he has such a poor sense of finding the weak spots?

16. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Powell and Greene should switch roles IMO. This will tell us if it's Greene, or if it's the line. Quite often you'll see a feature back average less YPC than the situational one. Remember, Greene averaged 5.0 a carry when he was in that #2 role. Part of me thinks its more about blocking up front. I've seen a few runs stuffed because of that directly quite a few times. I don't think its just Greene. I bet if we switch their roles, the YPC will switch as well.

17. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Greeneforthree should be a situational fourth-quarter back only. His vision is second only to a blindfolded Ray Charles.

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Greene will never be a break your ankles type of runner. He's a down hill mauler that gets stronger with 20+ carries becasue the defense has been battered all game. Expecting 20 yard runs is out of the question. Expecting 3 to 4 in the first half with 3 to 10 ish in the second half is the more likely case. This is the offense Rex wants, a punishing down hill style to wear other teams out.

The problem lies in the up front personnel for that style. Mangold is as good of a center as you'll find. Outside of him the others are underskilled or do not fit. Dbrick is a true technician of a LT. Above average in pass pro, but will never be a mauler in the run game. Slauson is looking more and more like a versitile warm body than an answer at LG. He a hold the fort guy. Moore is getting older and slower by the week at this point. The burst out of his stance and power at the point of attack is no longer there. Howard is a huge guy and decent in pass pro, but seems to have pad level/leverage problems in the run game at times.

None of our backs look good. The power guy greene, the all around guy in Powell, the elusive and speedy McKnight. None of them can do anything right now and I'm starting to belive its not simply a lack of talent in the backfield, but a lack of holes if not out right penetration destroying any chance of a running game.

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I like Greene as a finisher - 4th quarter when the d is tired back, but there's no way in hell he should start. He's being outplayed by a lot by his backup right now.

20. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

I remember this play & was shocked. How sad is it when you mention that one play in the entire game where RB showed some vision & it's enough for others to get it.