Tipped passes at the line occur because...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Oct 9, 2012.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

you realize on those passes w/ the time it takes to pump fake(still not guaranteeing the pass wouldn't be tipped) the D has a chance to recover and get near the receiver, right? There are times a pump fake can help, those plays were quick hitters, a pump fake wouldn't have done anything.

2. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

The Cro throw sucked...but it was also the first ever throw at game speed to the guy. Takes some time to build chemistry and feel for a receiver. One thing that play does it forces teams to respect it - same thing with Tebow throwing the ball deep that Hill should have caught.

Jets became a harder team to defend if you watch what they did tonight. Keller coming back is huge though.

They need to find away to get Sanchez an outlet guy out of the backfield. Where is Grimes?

3. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 New Member

I don't know if there is a thread with this already on there, but did anyone catch JJ Watt and what he said after the last play of the game when he batted down one of Sanchez's throws? It was something to the effect of "You can't pass over my head...seriously, get the fuck outta here." Not a direct quote, but pretty damn close. Honestly, I :lol: a little after this.

4. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Oh, just for the hell of it, that Tebow throw to Hill was the "first ever throw at game speed to the guy", by a QB who had only thrown one other pass in 4 games to anyone at game speed, and it was dead on the money :)

5. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

You are right if Cro was playing 10 offensive snaps, he was there to run the go, and that was it. They had to have practiced it - otherwise they wouldn't throw it. In a game where TD's were hard to come buy - you just cannot miss HR opportunities.

I couldn't agree with you more about backfield receiver. We miss Tomlinson a lot. Only a fool would disagree. Sanchez needs that RB outlet. JETS also need to work on moving him around like they use to in the past. Bootlegs, get him on the run - hes better than most in those situations.

6. Jim-Jet

Jim-Jet Banned

HUSH! Don't make them move this thread! lol

7. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

#1 Watt is a beast. #2 Sanchez isn't real tall for an NFL qb. #3 I think he's hesitating to throw. Side note, Blaine Gabbert gets a lot of passes tipped too.

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The Tebow throw was underthrown which was why it was incomplete and he had Hill out in front on an easy pass not a sideline pass.

9. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

Under thrown? Are you watching the same game as the rest of us? It pretty much hit him in the face.

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I dont care if JJ Watt gets 50 sacks a game.

If Tanny EVER drafts a player who looks as retarded as JJ Watt I call for his head.

11. Ted

Ted Member

Junc, he hit him in the chest with the ball. That was a nice throw Tebow made.

12. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

well before last night he had 3 tipped passes in 4 games. last night he had 3 tipped passes.

id say he did to us alot more then "everyone" else

13. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

tebow definitely threw a nice long one last night but it was siightly underthrown. gates had to come up for it when he had the step on the back. if it was a little further in front the defender couldnt have made a play and gates would have came down with it. gates still should have caught it, it was a well thrown ball, but it wasnt a perfect throw by any means.

14. jerseyjay14

its pass protection, you cant really get a guy down who is dropping back off the line of scrimmage. if he is engaged you cant cut him. if he is off the line of scrimmage in coverage, you cant cut him. both would result in a penalty.

its a tough read, but the qb needs to see when a lineman peels off, drops and gets big if his rush is stoned.

its not secret where watt is. he has a reputation for batting balls. he tipped one early. how about before you throw to anyone on his side, make sure you are in a position where he cant tip it?

15. catfish

catfish New Member

that is pretty much exactly the opposite of what actually happened, not wanting to turn this in to a Tebow thread, but that was a drop, hill said it was a drop, the announcers showed it was a drop, PFF agrees it was a drop. They also show 3 dropped passes thrown by Sanchez so that makes his stat line look better.

The Watt tip was just a super athletic play by Watt, the cumberland tip was a bit high and behind, but not drastically so, could have been throw better should have been caught.

Not a bad day by Sanchez and PFF agrees with that too, gave him an overall positive grade

edit: pff credits the cumberland tip as a drop, they would know better than me so I will change my opinion on that

#55 catfish, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  16. jerseyjay14

fail.

1) it wasnt gates it was jason hill

2) it was perfectly in stride

3) the defender never tipped it

4) it hit hill in the chest/hands

you couldnt place the ball any better

17. jerseyjay14

quick hitter or not, its irresponsible to throw a pass without first being positive it wont be tipped or picked by a defender. especially one known for that, who lines up the same spot every play, who tipped a pass early that got internecepted

18. catfish

catfish New Member

I am not sure how many lineman in the league can make the plays Watt made last night, there is a reason he is arguably the best defensive player in the league. The passes especially the first tip for INT looked like a safe pass to me when Sanchez threw it, then Watt and his 6 foot long arm just reached out and swatted it

19. jerseyjay14

that makes it even worse! you know, coming into the game, that the guy is a beast and tips alot of passes. so your #1 job is to make sure your throws arent in an area he can get a hand on them. a football field is 53.3 yards wide. there is plenty of space to operate around watt. there are plenty of things to do to avoid throwing it where he can get a hand on it.

he si a great player. take that into account and dont give him chances to make plays. thats like throwing up a rainbow with ed reed patrolling center field. sure reed is great, but dont lolipop it out there and give him a chance

20. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

OP: Usually its because QB is telegraphing where he is going to throw it with his eyes. However, like someone else pointed out, Watt said himself he times his jump based on the QB's arm moving forward.

My take on it is Watt is a freak of nature give him credit. Some blame can be placed on the offensive line. There are ways line men can interfer with someone ability to tip passes. Actively engaging them or going low taking out his legs so they can't jump, or just clearing passing lanes for the QB.

Instead of spending our time asking how to stop Watt, we should be asking why don't we have someone like him on our roster.