Skip Bayless -- the most comprehensive Tebow article ever.

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by Bannon, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Bannon

Bannon New Member

This is the lengthiest, most on-point Tebow article I've ever read. I'm not one of those to think every Tebow article needs a thread, but this one you've got to read, and discuss.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8466980/my-year-tebow

By the way -- I agree with everything in it. I think Skip has gotten a bad rap by being the only one willing to look at the facts. He's never said Tebow was an elite NFL quarterback, only that he can win at this level with his style of play.

2. Potzer

Potzer New Member

A yep. The recipe for a die hard Tebow fan.

Starts this way, "Man the guy can't really throw. This won't work against X defense."

Progresses to "did you see what that guy just did?"

Move's to defending him against unreasonable critique.

Then all of a sudden you're a huge fan of the guy.

3. JFjets

JFjets New Member

Good on Skip for writing that article. Same stuff he's been saying for a while now.

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I agree with Stephen A. Smith on more topics than I do with Skip. However, on the subject of Tim Tebow, I agree with Skip almost 100%. He has obviously been Tebow's biggest defender in the mainstream sports media, and he came off looking downright prophetic after accurately predicting Tebow's regular season record last year. So many in the media were complete bandwagoner's regarding Tebow last year, and so many of those same people are back to bashing him again now. Skip's tune hasn't changed. He's no bandwagon rider, and I respect him for that, big time.

4. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

Great read. Thanks.

5. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

there will come a point in this season when Woody, Tanny, and evetually Rex have no other choice. We will all look back and wonder why in the hell we didnt make this decision sooner. I can believe I am now a supporter of TT; as when we first traded for him I was outraged. What do we have to lose?

6. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Here's the winning formula with Tebow, at this early stage of his career:

-Shotgun
    -Lots of empty backfield.
    -Give him one primary read. One route where he's looking at it, and making an "either/or" decision based on how that route is being defended.
    -Tell him to take off running if he wants to, and feels he can get positive yardage (or a first down if it's third down).
    -On third downs, tell him to check that first either/or read, but then run around and look for a receiver in the "broken play" sense. Coach the receivers up on how to keep working themselves open, to work back to the ball.

It may not be pretty, but it's really hard to defeat.

Over the years, he could get better and better at the "read" part of the play. That's when he could be incredibly good. It takes years to build up a knowledge to be able to perfectly tailor a play to what the defense is doing.

7. reverseapachemaster

Twelve games.

8. reverseapachemaster

You forgot a functional defense to keep you in the game and a kicker with amazing accuracy.

If these receivers could get themselves open we wouldn't have half the problems with our passing game we have now. Then there would be no reason to bring in Tebow.

9. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

You really feel as though he would lose 12 games as the starter? Or more than Sanchez for that matter?

10. reverseapachemaster

No to the first, yes to the second.

11. Bannon

Bannon New Member

I think it would be a very high scoring offense. The need for a defense would be about the same.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

12. reverseapachemaster

How do you overcome the deficiencies with the current receivers to make that system work? Just hope Tebow wills them fixed?

13. catfish

catfish New Member

the spread option actually to some extent will allow the jets to simplify the route tree and help out the young receivers. it helped the running games by splitting focus between the qb and the RB, a true spread also pulls guys out of the box to keep them from stacking the box to stop the run, even if they chose to run a hurry up spread with Sanchez they would be bettter off

14. Jim-Jet

Jim-Jet Banned

So that is how Orton won all those games with Tebow on the bench. I was wondering about that.

15. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

Skip hit on the 1 point that is always overlooked and rings more true to anything else.

Anti-tebow people or tebow critics always bring up this phantom notion that tebow supporters thing is is the best qb of all time and some super great player. when most, in fact, just say he is capable of being a solid starter in the league and better then some other options currently under center.

the standard tebow is held to by critics is unreal. i cant think of any 2nd year qb/first year starter who got criticized the way tebow did while posting a 75 qb rating, winning 8 of 13 starts, and winning a playoff game.

hell, even #1 overall picks dont get that criticism. compare him to sam bradford:

bradford: 76.5 qb rating, 18 TD, 15 int

tebow: 72.9 qb rating, 18 TD(6 rush), 12 turnovers(6INT)

why isnt bradford, the #1 pick in the draft, held to the standard tim tebow is?

16. jerseyjay14

arent we bound to lose 8 or so of those anyhow

17. jerseyjay14

the denver defense wasnt functional. they were below average or bad. they were certeainly bad the season and a half before tebow and that the improved denver rushing offense gave them an extra 4 minutes of TOP and turned it over less then the orten led offense.

they gave up 40 points like 5 times and where in the bottom half of the league in yard and points

18. Bannon

Bannon New Member

No. I think deficiencies are deficiencies.

But, if you're deficient, you may as well go about things a different way, with the idea being that at least the lack of conventionality gives the opportunity for some unique talents to emerge. Like, perhaps one of the Jets remaining receivers is not as good at getting separation, but is good at working himself open while Tebow runs around. Maybe they develop a particular rapport, etc.

There's no brownie points for losing in a conventional way. Screw 'em. Do something different.

19. jerseyjay14

exactly. instead of just taking those same deificencies, and being confused why they continue to fail -- you can do things to minimize your weaknesses.

the defense has been getting gassed. a ball/control offense that turns it over less and increases T.O.P. may help the defense be as strong in the second as it has been in the first. tebow turned the 24th ranked denver run game into the leagues best. im sure he could make us at least top 16.

we may still have alot of drops, and WR struggle to get open, but more improvising and extending plays may make the pass plays we dont hit on be more impactful.

either way, continuing to do what WONT work, just seems silly

20. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Because Bradford is a "traditional QB".
    Look at all the hate the "traditionalists" gave Mike Vick, Randall Cunningham and to a lesser extent Archie Manning and Fran Tarkington. I think TT would be a hell of an option for the new age option QB; the guy has the ability to revolutionize the position with his size.

Think about this, the NFL is a passing league as of right now.
    10 Years ago it was a running league. The Defenses have always had to adjust to the Offenses in this league; ALWAYS.
    As the NFL stands today, the tendency is to go to a spread (PITT, NE, GB, NO, DET, PHI, ect...).

Now more than ever you need fast agile Lb's to cover the new age TE (Graham, Finley, Gronk, V. Davis) many quality CB's to contest the quick speedy WR's and ultimately throw out there a lighter/quicker defense. NFL Defenses are changing to match the Offense.

Some on this board think we are “behind the trend” and lack “identity”. I agree wholeheartedly with you. History has a tendency to repeat itself in all aspects in life; why is the NFL any different? But Why do we have to follow the leader; why cant we be the leader?

As the Defenses in the NFL change to cover the spread, why don’t the Jets embrace the “OLD” NFL of Offense and switch back to the Power/Spread option. We have personnel groupings closer to that than we so with the current trend. Also, when drafting and selecting FA’s; we can’t possibly compete with all the other teams looking to go in this direct (Cinci, BUF, DEN, MIA..fuck you name the team). Point is, there will be a greater pool of talent out there to fit this ideology available to pull from than the other pool. EMBRACE THE TEBOW MOVE; AND DON’T LOOK BACK IS THE ONLY WAY WE COMPEATE IN THE NEXT 2-5 YEARS.